Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FluJunkie

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2007
Yeah, not thrilled. The combination of being designed around a "unified thermal core" and the two GPUs suggests...not so much compatibility with swapping out GPUs and the like.

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
Any place but here or there....
I really like it

While I am not a Pro which reqiures that kind of power, I have to say I quite like the new Mac Pro. It might be my next Mac.

Here's why

1) Looking to move away from the iMac, but stay at Apple

2) Like the idea of external expandability (I am one of those people who isn't crack your Mac open saavy).

3) While I am not a Pro technician in the Media based fields or a gamer, I do want my next Mac to last longer than 3 years. At $2500-3,000 a pop, I've put a lot of money into iMacs over the past 14 years, so I want a machine that will allow me to update storage, displays etc. over time. And be worth the expense to me.

4) Want control over my choice of display(s)

5) Really like the smaller size

6) Made in the U.S.A. - yes, please.

This announcement is keeping me at Apple. With all of the issues with the latest iMacs and uncertainy of screens/price with the otherwise great rMBPs/crappy battery life, I realize I want to stay with a Mac desktop, but want something more than a Mini.

I hope this will be a great machine. I am looking forward to learning more about the specs/prices and will vote with my wallet then.

wallysb01

macrumors 68000
Jun 30, 2011
Didn't say. I really, really, can't see it being soldered on, but it may be difficult to upgrade.

"All expansion" is difficult to read into. That could mean its possible to "upgrade" internal components and it may not. At that size though, I'm not sure why RAM shouldn't be accessable. You can access it in iMacs, and they are smaller than this design (granted they use mobile RAM sizes, but still). And from the look of it, you should be able to fit a tray with single CPU and 4 DIMM slots that could still slide out much like the current design. While the graphics/SSD/PSU all sit above it, in possible a user inaccessable location. Though, just eyeballing it, I don't see why you couldn't have 1-2 user removable 2.5 SSD slots in there.

I will be very interested to see the price of this thing and what kind of configurations are possible.

I'm also interested to see what "later this year" means....

RoastingPig

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2012
SoCal
i wonder how big this thing really is i can live with it being the size of an itx case were its hard to get in but you can still get in to do changes..ive seen people put titans in itx cases

LillDrutten

macrumors regular
Oct 15, 2008
How long

How long do we have to wait until next major upgrade? Will there be any pro users left by then? I guess it takes a year before they realize what is happening. They it take an other 2 years before it can be on the market. Or will it be a success on some other markets? I guess this one will be great for software developers doing iphone/ipad stuff.

jinnyman

macrumors 6502a
Sep 2, 2011
Lincolnshire, IL
I believe 12 core cpus alone will cost alost right?
If I can downgrade, perhaps I will be interested for different segment of product.

but for Pro machine?
lol

deconstruct60

macrumors G5
Mar 10, 2009
Any word on when the new new Mac Pro is coming out? Thunderbolt 2 is kind of laughable compared to Thunderbolt 3. Hoping for something in early-mid 2014.

You mean USB 3.0? There is no announced TB v3.0 at all.

They are still saying "sometime later in 2013". I'd start reading that as like the iMacs ( Nov-December).

Intel already said TB v3.0 wasn't coming till late Fall (and 2014 for volume availability). Maybe Apple is buying up all of the initial production runs but timing on a part that isn't being produced ....... that has a likely delay built into it.

Throw in on top of that the 12-core E5 v2. I'd be somewhat surprised if those were available in the initial E5 releases. 4 ,6, 8 , and 10 core models yes. 12's I would expect after Intel gets the initial volume demand bubble out of the way. The yields aren't going to be as good and "road hogs" the pipeline.

Nalp2010

macrumors member
Dec 23, 2008
They better be under $1750. $1500 would be even better. I certainly can't imagine this being $2500 like the current low end Mac Pro.

A lowish price is the only thing that might get my interest but since when did Apple do low prices?:confused:

mwhities

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2011
Mississippi
Oh? It's got 6 Thunderbolt 2.0 ports and USB 3.0? Tell me again how your Mac Pro went up in value.

http://www.slashgear.com/mac-pro-reborn-the-future-of-the-os-x-workstation-10285773/

I'm kinda liking it. Granted, I've only had my 06 MacPro for a month or so now. :)

+1 I am really leaning towards buying a used 2010 or 2012 to hold me over for a while...

I'll consider an older one if the prices on them drop dramatically.

phaedarus

macrumors regular
Dec 27, 2008
With respect to expandability, I suspect that Apple has gambled on the belief that most Mac Pro users also work with Macbook Pros as the trend towards "mobile-studios-in-a backpack" seems to be gaining traction.

Focusing on external expansion enables users to swap out their storage devices and bring it with them to the field without having to open up the desktop chassis. The fact that OSX refers to drive aliases rather than an alphabetical ordering of letters does make this a more viable path for the Mac crowd.

By the way, for those of you whose offices will be ordering one of these, I suggest you ready your "THIS IS NOT A COFFEE MACHINE. DO NOT POUR MIX OR WATER!" yellow stick-it-notes to ward off any monkeys and interns fetching a fresh brew for their boss.

LillDrutten

macrumors regular
Oct 15, 2008
While I am not a Pro which reqiures that kind of power, I have to say I quite like the new Mac Pro. It might be my next Mac.

Here's why

1) Looking to move away from the iMac, but stay at Apple

2) Like the idea of external expandability (I am one of those people who isn't crack your Mac open saavy).

3) While I am not a Pro technician in the Media based fields or a gamer, I do want my next Mac to last longer than 3 years. At $2500-3,000 a pop, I've put a lot of money into iMacs over the past 14 years, so I want a machine that will allow me to update storage, displays etc. over time. And be worth the expense to me.

4) Want control over my choice of display(s)

5) Really like the smaller size

6) Made in the U.S.A. - yes, please.

This announcement is keeping me at Apple. With all of the issues with the latest iMacs and uncertainy of screens/price with the otherwise great rMBPs/crappy battery life, I realize I want to stay with a Mac desktop, but want something more than a Mini.

I hope this will be a great machine. I am looking forward to learning more about the specs/prices and will vote with my wallet then.
A mini is for you.

wallysb01

macrumors 68000
Jun 30, 2011
They better be under $1750. $1500 would be even better. I certainly can't imagine this being $2500 like the current low end Mac Pro.

Its still looking like it could be Xeon E5s though. Otherwise what are they waiting for, E3s are already out. Also the E3-1200 v3 support a max RAM speed of 1600, so why are they talking about 1766MHz DDR3?

So if its E5-1620 v2 at the bottom end, probably a decent sized SSD, high end (probably mobile version) graphics card, Thunderbolt, maybe 16GB of ECC RAM....I don't think you're under $1750. I bet the bottom one is $1999.

joepunk

macrumors 68030
Aug 5, 2004
a profane existence
Can someone there confirm that you can or cannot upgrade the gfx card/ram in the new mac pro. It's basically a deal breaker if you can't. Why drop so much cash on a machine that is out of date in 2yrs and cannot be upgraded in such a basic way after that.

You probably are looking for an answer today but I would wait a day or two until someone there (WWDC) manages to ask the questions and gets a chance to look at the thing in person.

I do agree that being able to upgrade the machine all by myself is sooo much nicer.

tomvos

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2005
In the Nexus.
I want one of the new Mac Pros. And a blue spray can.

Because if painted blue — it’s the return of the SGI O2. :D

SGI_O2_front.jpg

Wardenski

macrumors 6502
Jan 22, 2012
Bow before the all mighty Mactopus.

Its tentacles will crush those you love dear, sink your ship and take your loot.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.