Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rols

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2008
Don't see HDMI port. They're huge for a start and USB-C carries the same signals, you just need a USB-C to HDMI cable, or you can use the USB-C port with a displayport cable too if you want that or as .. anything else you like. Really don't see the new MacBook pro with a 1 inch hole on the side.

Rudy69

macrumors 6502a
Mar 30, 2009
I REALLY hope they keep USB-C charging on top of the magsafe. I'm not a huge magsafe fan, i find it comes out too easily. I liked the L shaped connector but they got rid of that one. USB-C also lets me connect to my monitor with one cable and charge my computer at the same time which is great

TheDailyApple

macrumors 6502a
May 30, 2019
Would it really need magnets? If its supposed to be plugged out when you trip on the cable magnets would be counterproductive. For me the USB C makes a great magsafe substitute, the ports of my MacBook Pro have become too loose that if you trip on the cable the MacBook is not even going to move a millimeter
I don’t propose joining the two completely. The idea is that with this port you could choose between the two. I.e. use the USB when you dock your macbook or forget your cable and need to barrow one, but snap the MagSafe over the port at other times.

The biggest advantage is that it takes up less room than having both beside one another.

fwmireault

Contributor
Jul 4, 2019
Montréal, Canada
They've been making this particular design for 15 years? Funny, I thought it was a new design, with a new chip, different ports, etc. You know, as described in the rumors.
Okay…? So you will never buy anything with this logic. Yes, it’s the same design since many years. The ports? Yes, the same that were in the sub-2016 MacBook era. The chip? A more powerful version of a chip that is as we speak in many MacBooks without issues.

If you don’t want to buy it it’s your choice, but it’s not a fist Gen anything

jihwoanahn

macrumors newbie
May 21, 2021
Product announcement may be great news to everyone but I was wondering if they will give us another roadmap like they did year ago. Like when Mac Pro with Apple Silicon will be ready, expansion with PCI-e availability, etc.

Reactions: Lukkee24

wilhoitm

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2002
Product announcement may be great news to everyone but I was wondering if they will give us another roadmap like they did year ago. Like when Mac Pro with Apple Silicon will be ready, expansion with PCI-e availability, etc.

Is there going to be a 64GB RAM option?

MrPresident

macrumors regular
Nov 25, 2009
Manchester
Okay…? So you will never buy anything with this logic. Yes, it’s the same design since many years. The ports? Yes, the same that were in the sub-2016 MacBook era. The chip? A more powerful version of a chip that is as we speak in many MacBooks without issues.

If you don’t want to buy it it’s your choice, but it’s not a fist Gen anything

I think it was obvious what he was implying. The external design of the computer is changing and there have been problems in the past when Apple makes external changes; the butterfly keyboard fiasco for example. Whilst it certainly isn’t the first MacBook Pro, it will be the first with a different design in a few years.

It’s the same reason that some people buy the ‘S’ model iPhone, hardware issues are usually resolved by the second iteration of the ‘new’ design.

chivoteanu

macrumors newbie
Dec 7, 2016
It’s crazy how excited we are in 2021 for a 14” computer, with a row of function keys, no bezels, a regular amount of ports, and MagCharing.
Apple has really nerfed the MBP line for us to be ending up here
hahahhahahahaa -

Surf760

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2017
If it can power an external 4k monitor sans an eGPU without sounding like it's going to launch to Mars, I will be happy.

Only want a larger screen to improve workflow when I'm on the road, the 13-14" just doesn't do it even with airplay iPad 2nd monitor.

Reactions: aknabi

nerdherdster

macrumors newbie
Mar 31, 2019
I look forward to buying the first revised version of this. Never buy v1.0 of Apple hardware. It’s almost always got problems that need to be fixed.
While that’s often true, the problems are also often much less severe than the outrage makes them seem. I bought a 2012 MBP retina at launch and I’ll finally be replacing it with this new machine. My 2012 has some screen ghosting issues but otherwise has aged really well, and has even survived numerous drops (one on ice and one when a backpack strap broke) without serious issues. Hope to get another almost 10 years of use out of this new model!

Last edited:
Reactions: KurtWilde

iPadified

macrumors 68000
Apr 25, 2017
One potential problem is the max power provided by USB-C PD. That could be one thing to unleash. If you go with MagSafe, you can include a power adapter higher than the 100W USB max, unleashing the 16" MacBook Pro.

I've got this problem with an HP ZBook from work. It can charge via USB-C when asleep but USB-C doesn't provide enough power so it has its own 150W proprietary charger.
Do you really expect that MBP with a M1X chip will draw +100W?

Reactions: dave559

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
Is there going to be a 64GB RAM option?

Mixed rumors on that one. Early on 64GB was said to be coming, but some are now saying 32GB might be the limit. Guess it will depend on the module capacities available in the form factor that the SoC package uses.

elmaco

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2012
Sounds great, the touchbar is useless and I hate to carry around dongles.

I also have problems with glitches with the current USB-C charging. Hopefully this will go away with MagSafe. Also nice with an SD reader. Sometimes you want to move lots of data and while you can do it over the network, it can sometimes be slow or a hassle.

I really don't need a powerful GPU. so I hope it's optional, but I could use lots of cores to speed up my work.

blazerunner

macrumors 65816
Nov 16, 2020
The removal of the TRASH that is the touchbar is going to be the #1 reason i'll actually give Apple my money. Most useless and annoying garbage Apple has ever implemented.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
While MagSafe would be nice, why not just design a USB-C MagSafe connector and stick with what is now a pretty standard, and widely available, power connector? The physical cable need only provide power, simplifying the design a bit; and allowing the port to be used as a normal USB C as well.

I imagine the price will be unleashed as well...
I dunno what you mean. Isn’t the new MagSafe supposed to be USB-C to MagSafe? What standard you are talking about here?
They should up the minimum storage to 1TB on MacBook Pros. 256GB was criminal when I bought mine in 2015 with limited funds. 512GB is a great improvement, but should be more for the price. (I bought my Mac Mini with 1TB. It’s the best value Mac in the line-up and I have zero complaints.)
Seeing how half of the YouTuber saying 256GB should be more than enough for “majority of people”, I’d not be surprised if apple even bother to release 8GB 256GB for 14” MacBook Pro.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.