New MacBook Pro's on Tuesday, June 5th 2007?

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, May 31, 2007.

1. MaskedPhantom macrumors regular

MaskedPhantom

PLEASE, baby, PLEASE.

I will even wait until WWDC!

2. uncompressed macrumors newbie

Spec-ulation

15.4" LED backlit screens (if they did order them, where else would they go?)
    SR chipsets up to 2.4 ghz, but not necessarily w/ Robson... that may come with a separate update at Leopard time. Or... might 10.4.10 have support for Robson built in? 10.4.11 :) . I think we might see it...
    RAM up to 4gb: 2 standard on the low end, 4 on the high
    Magnetic hatch (it's about friggin time)

And that's it, I'm gonna guess. A totally new case design wouldn't be out of order, but I don't think we're gonna see it. As someone recently mentioned, the PB/MBP body still looks sleeker and more futuristic (and I'm not talking gawdy, fugly "futuristic" like dell XPS rigs) than anything out there. It's an old design, yes, but I think they've kept it because it simply works: it's so sophisticated!

OOORR, maybe... this just came to me:
    Might they offer NO Robson on the low-end, and Robson standard on the high-end? Hmm... would definitely set them apart, and seeing as how it's new technology, would save some money.

3. EagerDragon macrumors 68020

EagerDragon

More than likely yes, specialy at the New York stores.

4. iAlan macrumors 65816

iAlan

I can see Apple releasing new MBP next week, there is no specific reason they have to wait till WWDC.

I haven't read all the posts in this thread but I remember reading in theSteve Jobs Interviewed at All Things Digital thread that Steve said ",,,If you come to WWDC we're rolling out our new version of OSX -- massive investments in desktops. You'll love it."

So MBPs next week and new desktops at WWDC

I hope so as I am after a new desktop to replace my aging G5 - hopefully a mid-range tower as a Mac Pro is more than I need and the iMac's not enough...

5. jblodgett macrumors regular

What about the Mac Pros is there to update?

Didn't they just release the 8-core Mac Pros in April?
    What big update would be coming just 2 months later?

6. boobooq88 macrumors regular

Exactly my thought.... with what they have now... they cant do a MINOR update. unless its a non-underclocked gpu w/ more ram and 2.66 ghz merom core2duo :cool:

7. uMac macrumors 6502

That is my plan too unless the MBP blows me away in specs.

8. PCMacUser macrumors 68000

PCMacUser

I'm thinking along those lines too. Maybe not on the LED backlit display though. I think that might be next year, for no particular reason.

As for CPU speed, I think they'll keep similar GHz speeds to what they currently have, just with 800MHz FSB instead of 667MHz. And 2GB would remain the standard for all models, including the high end, but more would be available as an upgrade.

I think the enclosure should stay the same. I know there's a lot of Mac fans out there who are tired of it, but I really love it and want it to stay. There's still nothing else out there (IMHO) that comes close to looking as good as a MBP.

Also I'd like to see Apple incorporate some sort of fingerprint reader for security purposes. Most laptop manufacturers provide this feature on their business laptops, and it works brilliantly.

9. klb028 macrumors 6502

So exciting. I hope the release is on the 5th, but I still have to wait for Leopard at WWDC. Blah!

10. irishgrizzly macrumors 65816

irishgrizzly

Everything I read lately tells me to be very excited for WWDC. Which is great after so many months of barren MR news. (I know we've had AppleTV and Iphone, but I wanna see the new Macs!)

11. strangelogic macrumors regular

Good news..

I think if they do it next week - regardless of the update - it's good news for WWDC - and I am still hoping that there will be a new ultra-portable MBP at WWDC regardless - maybe no evidence to support that... but hey...

All of this :apple: press right now is keeping me really entertained and I've almost forgotten that I can't wait to get rid of my current cell-phone and get an iphone - nice to have lots of distractions to keep me occupied until that ships.

I sure hope the iPhone hype is done, and WWDC is all about other things.

12. Dicx macrumors regular

Dicx

I doubt it will have Robson in it. Dell had it in their D630 and D830 line for 1 day then it dropped after initial tests were negative on the gain for the price.

If it does and the prices are still the same 1999, 2499, 2799, then ok, extra bonus for same price.

I would just like to see them drop the combo drive all together and go super drive on the lower end 15.

13. Roller macrumors 68030

I can understand why a relatively minor update to the MBP would qualify for a "non-event" announcement. But Steve said yesterday that laptops are Apple's future as far as computers go, so you'd think that that's where they would want to make a big splash.

I agree that the aluminum laptop design has held up amazingly well, but it's been around a while. I'd like to see some cosmetic changes in addition to the internal stuff (LED backlighting, Santa Rosa, and so on.) I'd especially like to see an ultralight, but I'm not expecting that to happen soon.

14. strangelogic macrumors regular

Um - the MBP has only super drive - no combo. It's the MacBook low-end with the combo.

15. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

A friend of mine sold me is MBP with about 45 minutes of use because he was unable to deal with the size of the screen. For his sake I hope they release a 12"/13" model. I feel kind of bad hearing about his 1Ghz 12" power book's struggles.

16. vagarach macrumors member

Has there ever been a combo drive on the low end MBP? Or do you mean the low end macbook?

And yeah, I can't wait! Tuesday get here pronto! Hows the shipping with these newly released products, do they still manage 1-2 day ship times?

17. Dicx macrumors regular

Dicx

My bad, that is right. I still want them to drop it!

:)

18. hooch macrumors member

I don't see how Apple releasing MBP without SR chipset. Apple would have a lot of angry loyalist if they didn't. I too do not see the reason why they should release these the day of WWDC. The guy I have been talking to at an Apple sales depot said that he had a purchase order out there for a long time (over a month). He is completely out of MBP and it has not been processed. He thought they would be released last week Tuesday. Well, maybe it is this week now. I am sure there are a lot of stores that are out of MBP and it wouldn't make sense to basically halt sales for another week to announce at WWDC.

19. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

I betcha Steve is saving the Widescreen 12" Macbook Pro for his announcement at WWDC ;)

......or maybe Powerbook G5's will finally arrive :D

20. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

hopefully nothing too good cause then i would be jealous of the new imacs ;)

21. MacGuffin macrumors regular

Hoping for? Try expecting. It's the state of the art, and Apple is charging state of the art prices.

If the transition to Intel means anything, it should mean that the days of Apple shamefully pushing older, slower hardware are over. We're out of the PPC ghetto now.

Either it will be Santa Rosa or I won't be buying a MBP.

22. scrambledwonder macrumors 6502

What? The screen was too big? Erm. . .

23. 300ZX macrumors member

Who drops 2 grand on a laptop without trying it out first?

What in the world...

24. iTim314 macrumors 6502

Anyone who's ever used a Mac, that's who. :)

25. jimijazz macrumors member

Uuughghghghggghhh

I have been kicking myself for months because I failed to take advantage of the Apple Scholars Program - a free MBP was the prize, for a mere five essays and some digitally created content, of which I had a ton. I thought it would still be available to me in college but lo and behold, it is not. So I licked my wounds, swallowed my pride and decided I'm going to spend most of my savings on a MacBook Pro. Then I discovered there is to be an update soon. I've been checking this site every day for rumors about it.

Of course, of course, "more exciting" things like the iPhone have overshadowed it, but here, here it is! They might be here next Tuesday! Even if it's just an update to LED screens, I think it will justify my wait! Music major, been a Windows guy all my life and I'm putting my faith in Apple. Just thought I'd share my story even if no one cares!

- james