New MacBook Pro's on Tuesday, June 5th 2007?

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, May 31, 2007.

1. gphoto macrumors member

This is quite possibly the one and only rumor that has mattered to me in months! I can't wait to upgrade to a MBP just as soon as they are revised, now or otherwise, but the sooner the better. It does seem logical that the MBPs get an update while the spotlight is put on desktops as Jobs said in his interview. This does not neccessarily mean that this update will be nothing, especially since the only update has to be to SR with a possible LED backlight. This is such a great rumor!!:) :D

2. kepardue macrumors 6502

I kind of hope they do wait until WWDC to unveil anything new. That way, it will mean new MBP's are a Big Deal (tm) and not just a speed bump. I've been itching to move from my Core Duo iMac to a Core 2 Duo MBP for months now. I really want the MBP to be big news in the coming weeks, since I've saved back the money to spend on it!

And, if they wait until WWDC, it seems like it would be slightly more likely that they would offer the $20 upgrade to Leopard there with the new machines. I really don't want to wait until a lot closer to Leopard without having to pay full price for the Leopard upgrade.

3. itcheroni macrumors 6502a

This is Macrumors. Everyone cares. :)

4. logik-bomb macrumors newbie

First Mac =)

Well, all my life I've been a Windows and recently (from about 3 years) a Linux user. Now, with the new macbook pro release, I think its about time to get a better experience with computers, so I'm moving to Apple.. I never really used it.. but I know for sure that I will love it.. :D

5. quik macrumors regular

MBP update on June 5th + Apple B2School Promo = Buy it now

I'll throw my credit card on June 5th for sure :)!

6. boobooq88 macrumors regular

same here for me but 1 year of linux not 3 :p ... but i will never leave my linux!;)

7. logik-bomb macrumors newbie

me neither :p

8. WannaGoMac macrumors 68020

WannaGoMac

It's a shame the macbook won't get Santa Rosa (SR) for a while as it really will benefit from from SR than the MBP just due to the improved graphics that come with SR. Pretty lousy if only the MBP gets SR given it already has an indepentent GPU.

9. bignumbers macrumors regular

Back to school specials?

Any word on what the back to school/education specials are? Bundles, discounts, rebates, free iPods?

10. BigPrince macrumors 68020

11. pixelnated macrumors newbie

I am glad that the date is getting near for them to roll out. Just finished a couple gigs and I have been chomping at the bit for my first mac but wanted to hold for this.

What do you guys think about the apple developer program for a purchase? http://developer.apple.com/membership/usa.html
    You have to pay an initial $99 in order to receive this one time discount and only works for one piece of hardware.
    - saved this from an old digg posting - http://digg.com/tech_deals/Want_a_MAC_at_a_cheaper_price_then_the_educational_discount_Here_s_how

Have any of you used this?

Thanks!

12. Kingsly macrumors 68040

Kingsly

Wow, new MBP's would be awesome... they're late.

I need to sell mine ASAP if I am to get top dollar!!!! :eek:

13. vagarach macrumors member

Oh man, a free ipod will really, really sweeten the deal. My 1st run 1st gen nano is working splendidly though :D, but you can never have too many ipods:cool:.

June 5, 11 it's all the same at this stage.

14. boobooq88 macrumors regular

just checked bestbuy.com (US) and no 15.4" MBPs show up and it says sold out for 17" hmmmm.... might not be big, but it can be

EDIT: compusa.com ... sold out of 15.4" for online delivery... store pickup only.. ??

15. GanleyBurger macrumors regular

GanleyBurger

Does anyone know how many sales actually result from the people who attend WWDC?

Are the majority of them even interested in a new purchase (i.e. MBPs), or are they using Mac Pros?

16. mvc macrumors 6502a

mvc

No LED in MBP just yet...

IF apple are soon to release a slim ultraportable device, then THAT will be the first use of an LED backlight.

No WAY Apple will introduce a leading edge technology across the board when they can put it in a top end niche item like an ultraportable first and make more money for a while, especially when the tech in question is a no brainer for an ultraportable.

So I predict Santa Rosa based macbook pros next tuesday to give parity with all the revamped PCS out there for the back-to-school season, and then at WWDC new form factor mac pros running leopard as a main keynote feature and a "one more thing" announcement of:

EITHER new form factor iMacs
    OR an ultra-slim ultraportable with LED backlight
    OR possibly a tablet style iPad/iPod device (building on the iPhone tech), though we probably won't see that till next year.

None of these options of course will actually ship until September or later. :rolleyes:

And an announcement about an impending SDK for iPhone / Future iPad devices would also be on the cards for a developers conference :cool:

17. grappler macrumors regular

Wow, agreed. I could have written that exact same post. Except that I've used macs at work and been converted that way. Other than that, I'm in exactly the same situation.

I'm also keeping my eye on display-land though. I'm committed to the idea of having a 30" display to work on at home. Wonder if we'll see any upgrades (LED?) on that front...

18. macjaeh macrumors newbie

American

Americantv.com in store pickup only...:p :apple:

19. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

That makes sense to me!

Leopard @ WWDC > Santa Rosa

Just saying...WWDC should focus on Leopard and maybe one other piece of hardware.

20. Val-kyrie macrumors 68000

Quiet Update

I tend to agree with you diehardmacfan. However, for those of you who think the FSB will run at 800 MHz, please think again. There is currently a memory controller on the SR chipset which limits the FSB to 667MHz. Thus the reason SR will be revised for Penryn--besides the fact that Penryn takes a completely different socket.

The MBPs must go SR if they are to receive higher clocked chips. My guess is the MBPs will clock in at 2.2 and 2.4 GHz--that's as high as the revised Merom chip clocks stock, but it has a revised microarchitecture so it should perform better than the GHz indicate. The big update will be the LED screen--but Apple is not first here--with an increase in HDD size (and speed?) and a newer gfx card. But looking at the MBP's spec.s, it is hard to really showcase anything to the average consumer other than the new screen (if it is really any better in color reproduction). Otherwise, most improvements will likely be minor and will mainly reduce power consumption and thus increase performance per watt.

I would like a new enclosure and the inclusion of DisplayPort. The former is possible, but the latter may have to wait for Penryn/SR (in late '07) or Penryn/Montevina (in '08) when gfx card manufacturers start to include the port on their standard cards.

I also expect WWDC to showcase a new iMac and Leopard primarily, possibly new HD displays.

21. BrianMR macrumors regular

BrianMR

Seems logical, except for the reports that they ordered 100,000 LED screens in the 15.4" size.

22. edenwaith macrumors 6502a

edenwaith

Mid-May

Recently tried to order a MacBook Pro and was told they were on back order until the 15th of June. I'm thinking that something is in the pipes. The question is which Tuesday. If it came out on the 11th or 12th, that would still give a few days of lead time (2-5 days) for the laptop to be prepared and shipped.

But I'm ultimately waiting for a new iMac. Bump up the video card and lower the price, and it will be perfect for me.

23. Val-kyrie macrumors 68000

Intel Turbo Memory

Sorry, but I disagree. I don't think we will see any Intel Turbo Memory (ITM=Robson Cache) technology introduced until the official debut of Leopard. I don't think Leopard will be demo'd on a 'book because it will probably put ITM to good use to make the 'books fast with Leopard. There will be new hardware revisions to optimize Leopard after its October release.

24. Val-kyrie macrumors 68000

Exactly. I expect desktops (iMac) and Leopard and maybe new displays. Perhaps a little more with the iPhone, but only insofar as it pertains to Leopard.

25. BrianMR macrumors regular

BrianMR

Where did you try to order it? Custom config or standard?