Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacFever

macrumors 6502
Feb 1, 2007
I'm really hoping for a Macbook Pro redesign especially the 17" with LED's...but still with the metal look. :)

We may see also a new video card in the macbook pro's soon.

Nvidia is officially launching their G92 this month instead of November. The date has been brought forward...interestingly...could it be to coincide with an apple release?

http://www.digitimes.com/mobos/a20071009PD207.html

Spritey

macrumors regular
Sep 22, 2006
Canada/Norway/USA
If they change MBs too much they'll have to change MBPs as well...

If they change the Macbooks by

1. adding a graphics card
2. changing the case to aluminum

Macbook = 13" Macbook Pro priced at nearly 50% less

at least in the minds of the average consumer. And increasing the price is doubtful. If that were to happen, what about Apple's friendly-priced laptop which has been selling like Ben and Jerry's on a hot summer day?

From a marketing perspective (in terms of differentiating MBs and MBPs), it doesn't make any sense at all with these two changes, UNLESS they also do some major upgrades to the MBP. A processor bump on the other hand seems reasonable without ruining the differentiating factor too much.

DrEasy

macrumors member
Jan 12, 2004
I also seem to recall that Santa Rosa provides substantially better battery life. Is that true? Cause that'd be the main reason why I'd still wait for Santa Rosa in a MacBook once Leopard is released.

Genghis Khan

macrumors 65816
Jun 3, 2007
Melbourne, Australia
Apple would only make the MacBooks aluminum if they were to have the same features of a MacBook Pro.

But as we've had rumors of such things, it's not out of the question.

In fact i may consider selling my own MacBook for a new aluminum one:D

MacinDoc

macrumors 68020
Mar 22, 2004
The Great White North
I'm not saying that Santa Rosa is not something that would be desirable in a MacBook, just that it is unlikely to appear at this refresh. Look for SR or higher in all Apple products by WWDC 2008.

Just too little differentiation right now between the MB and the MBP. Especially if the MB gets substantially upgraded integrated graphics.

So, I expect a small speed boost and Intel GMA X3100 graphics at this time.

Anything else will be a pleasant surprise.

Let's not all get overly optimistic, just to be let down when the actual product is unveiled... Ppl on this board (myself included sometimes) don't always seem to be realistic with their expectations.

JSpence

macrumors regular
Oct 4, 2007
Orlando, FL
Leave something for MacWorld.

Slim MB's.

I'n my personal, non-professional thought on the matter, we will see a refresher for the MB's, to really get them through the holiday season.
All students can expect to recieve a box containing something like,
A silver MB
OS X 10.5
2.16 GHz standard
2GB all models
backlight keyboard on upper models :)
no more ComboDrive! (my personal favorite daydream)

As far as MBP's go, I think they may see some sort of a refresh as well. There are a few ways this could go.
1. They see almost a 'minimalist' refresh, with a new AL design to match the refresh of the MB for the holiday sale (they have to refresh the MB so it matches the iPod and iMac, etc. AL is in, white is gone for now)
2. New body plus a small graphics update, and LED's on the 17" to push sales through the holiday season
3. No real substantial change, but a much needed price drop until MWSD, which could be a bad play unless they really bring the heat come January.
4. All out update on the MBP's, something small and substantial for the MB's, with a slimbook for MWSD

If I see anymore ComboDrive, ill choke:mad:. i agree with a few earlier posts, MBP's are starting to look a little old, and CD shiping out for holiday of '07? What is apple playing at. The MBP's need an update, and the MB's GMA 950? yuck:rolleyes:

ch02ce

macrumors member
Jul 18, 2007
Come on...

It is clearly going to be LED screens for the MacBook.

That might even be it.

Remember when Apple declared all of its computers would be more environmentally friendly by the end of 2007??

And the rumoured buy-up of smaller LED screens?

drewyboy

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2005
Seems Obvious

Ok, it's been bothering me that no one has said this yet. I agree that we will see possibly only a SR upgrade to the current MB line. Why you say? Because they do need to upgrade to stay somewhat with the rest of the market only for the sake of us that know what SR is and why it's better and what it will do over the current configuration. Otherwise the rest of the world doesn't care. They see macbook...they want macbook regardless of what chipset is in it because majority of them are probably saying "chip what"?

Also, for those of you saying, "but it's going to bring the MB too close to the MBP!". I say they practically were the same thing (sorta) till the MBP got SR, plus the obvious differences btwn the lines which most ppl fail to recognize. The extra ports, the graphics cards and few other things. Anyways, the reason they can both have SR is because Apple wants to sell MBs like absolute crazy during the holiday season. MB is more of a daily consumer purchase, where as those buying the MBP are going to shop around and be very aware of what they are buying. I think that at MWSF we will see possibly new form factor, dont bet on it, but for sure a significantly updated MBP with the new Penryn mobo chips. I don't understand why no one has talked about the new chips?! The lines will be close for the holiday season to try and push quantity over profit margins. Then for all those whining about how MBP is way over priced, at MWSF, Apple will be like, "Hey, we updated MBP will brand new Penryn mobo chips that haven't been/ are just released." So there will be the huge difference in the lines which I think will be a very reasonable gap in performance and price.

Life is Sweet

macrumors member
Aug 29, 2007
Redesign MB. Also Mac Pro update

5 things(and i'm sorry if it's been posted):

1. MB will get SR, because if it doesnt will have year old chips by the time of next update. Therefore no more GMA950 to X3100

2. MB should get redesigned because its the only non-metal mac. It kinda stands out.

3. MB should get LED.

4. MP will be updated very soon because new penryn processor come out on November 12.

5. :apple: has booked a lot out 3.2ghz so they should be in MP soon.

Wild-Bill

macrumors 68030
Jan 10, 2007
bleep
I'm really hoping for a Macbook Pro redesign especially the 17" with LED's...but still with the metal look. :)

Um, weren't the MBP's just updated in June??? :rolleyes:

We may see also a new video card in the macbook pro's soon.
Nvidia is officially launching their G92 this month instead of November. The date has been brought forward...interestingly...could it be to coincide with an apple release?

No. The G92 release this month is for desktop cards, not laptops.

JSpence

macrumors regular
Oct 4, 2007
Orlando, FL
5 things(and i'm sorry if it's been posted):

1. MB will get SR, because if it doesnt will have year old chips by the time of next update. Therefore no more GMA950 to X3100

Can anyone provide a strong case as to why the new MB's would get SR this November?

A little off topic. .:rolleyes:

sjwk

macrumors member
Oct 5, 2007
Oxford
I'm a long time lurker, but have never had anything useful to say before... so I haven't bothered. But I won't be offended if you regard me as the newbie poster that I am :)

Anyway, while talking to our Apple account manager at work last week about a few things (such as release date of Leopard - he reckoned end of this week or next), I told him I was waiting for Leopard to buy myself a new MB. He wouldn't give anything away on details, but said that he would strongly advise me to wait until after Christmas.

Now, whether that's new models, or just long lead times due to Christmas orders I couldn't possibly say...

PMR

macrumors 6502
Sep 29, 2007
Portugal (Google it)
Gotta be. That's what I've been waiting for. If they're gonna be faster they've gotta be Santa Rosa & 3100 IG so we can run FCS 2 & CS3 with 4 GB of ram.

It's one more advantage for the macbook, but sorry, that shouldn't be no one's idea. That's why we have the MBP. Running video and photo in a 13" screen... C'mon...

fewture

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2006
I'm not saying that Santa Rosa is not something that would be desirable in a MacBook, just that it is unlikely to appear at this refresh. Look for SR or higher in all Apple products by WWDC 2008.

Just too little differentiation right now between the MB and the MBP. Especially if the MB gets substantially upgraded integrated graphics.

So, I expect a small speed boost and Intel GMA X3100 graphics at this time.

Anything else will be a pleasant surprise.

Let's not all get overly optimistic, just to be let down when the actual product is unveiled... Ppl on this board (myself included sometimes) don't always seem to be realistic with their expectations.

As Drewyboy already state (just saw his post)

With Penryn in Jan 2008, MBP will be strides ahead of the MB (with SR or not). With all its other additional differentiating factors (dedicated GPU etc), the above is not an argument.

But yes wouldn't be surprised if Apple gave us another #&%^# 'upgrade' for the MB. I wouldn't buy one because I don't want to support a company which purposely sells outdated hardware because it can get away with it. I think Apple also knows it could sell more MB's if it finally made the switch to SR with x3100 (because then alot of people holding off would buy them and thats probably more than it seems - ppl are getting very savvy these days)

Now if MB got Penryn, that would be nice. But unlikely.

whenpaulsparks

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2004
Tallahassee, FL
This rumor makes the most sense. Leopard will be in the spotlight for some time, and an update to the macbook is just enough to get consumers interested in it for Christmas. Face it, November and December are geared for consumer sales : ipod, iphone, macbook and imac. I would expect some bigger hardware/new products at MWSF. (macpro, subnotebook, etc)

... MWSF is always geared at consumer products.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.