Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
What!?!??!?!

What about the Mac Pro??!! I hope they are wrong about that. The Mac Pro needs an update.

Apple seems to have been neglecting the Mac Pro lately. It's over a year old, it's time!

A better choice of video cards would be nice. Of course, Apple should fix their video driver issues first...

rcha101

macrumors member
Feb 28, 2006
What I want ('cause that's what's important)

I'm looking to refresh my MBP - possibly upgrading to 17 inch. My plan is to get a powerful system with the new OS that I think will last me 3 years before needing an update. For this to be a reality it needs to have a bluray drive - I don't need a bluray burner read only is fine but I would love to see bluray HD content on my HD display using my HD graphics card. I know Apple's competitors are doing it so if I saw an updated superdrive and a processor bump I would definitely buy.

Also, I can't see how they can update the MB without also bumping the MBP otherwise they would be too similar in spec.

Mock Turtleneck

macrumors member
Oct 2, 2007
Mac Pro

I hate to say it but I think the Mac Pro is no longer the Flagship of the Apple Line, that honor has fallen to the MacBOOK Pro...

Honestly, look at Apple's most recent strategies, mobility is king in the new Apple World.

The Mac Pro will linger I think until Apple can no longer get the equipment that it uses and at that point we'll either see a reshuffle of the 'Tower' line or Apple will release the newest and latest in their line of 'Gimp Towers.'

A shame, if the Mac Pro didn't cost 3 arms and 2 legs I feel Apple really could have done something with it, however now a days it is starting to look less and less important to the Grand Scheme of things. :apple:

p33

macrumors member
Jul 7, 2007
They shouldn't have used the GMA 950 to begin with. I digress...

Well, if you start thinking baout what they should have done... I gues very many of us would agree that Apple computer hardware leaves much to be desired.

!¡ V ¡!

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2007
Apple seems to have been neglecting the Mac Pro lately. It's over a year old, it's time!

A better choice of video cards would be nice. Of course, Apple should fix their video driver issues first...

It's business for Apple, allow me to explain.

MP have a higher profit margin = profitable company and Quarterly report.

iMac and below have a lower profit margin = less profitable and larger consumer base on the Quarterly report.

To sum things up, to an investor it looks far better that :apple: is selling more units to more people thus building its user base and market share. Higher profits though nice, in the long run shrink pretty fast, thus the market share is smaller and the longevity of the company is in question by the shareholders.

This was done with the iPod when it was opened to the PC market, and look at the position it holds today. :apple: is trying to mimic the same strategy, simple. :)

Rocketman

macrumors 603
I would be fine with seeing the current MacPro relegated to "Good" status, and have a new Mac Pro with updated Xeons and MB be the "Better" and "Best".

I consider the iPhone to be a "crippled feature" device as compared to say, a MacBook. A quad-sized iPhone device might be able to do 90% of its capability however.

All these discussions are, at their base, about Apple's product positioning and feature break-points. Price is set at maximum pain for a given market target.

But you gotta say, Apple may not be perfect but they get it pretty right and they add value through features, bug fixes and OS updates timely and at minimal long term costs.

Why don't I have a TV sized server closet servicing me and my 6 closest neighbors?

Rocketman

p33

macrumors member
Jul 7, 2007
Honestly, look at Apple's most recent strategies, mobility is king in the new Apple World.

Only, it's not the mobility, it's consumer stuff. Consumers tend to move a lot these days, hence, the mobility, it's not that mobility by itself is the king, imho.

Too bad... :(

!¡ V ¡!

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2007
I hate to say it but I think the Mac Pro is no longer the Flagship of the Apple Line, that honor has fallen to the MacBOOK Pro...

The Mac Pro will linger I think until Apple can no longer get the equipment that it uses and at that point we'll either see a reshuffle of the 'Tower' line or Apple will release the newest and latest in their line of 'Gimp Towers.'

A shame, if the Mac Pro didn't cost 3 arms and 2 legs I feel Apple really could have done something with it, however now a days it is starting to look less and less important to the Grand Scheme of things. :apple:

When :apple: decided to transition to Intel x86 based processors, one on the main reasons was the power:mobility ration, thus it's is quite clear where the focus is.

If you thought that the MP would benefit a lot from this transition, think twice as virtually the entire Mac lineup uses mobility chips and only the MP and Xserve is the soar thumbs.

There is a bigger market for mobility products than power, hungry, non-portable computers. Sad however the consumers have spoken through they purchases. :)

!¡ V ¡!

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2007
Only, it's not the mobility, it's consumer stuff. Consumers tend to move a lot these days, hence, the mobility, it's not that mobility by itself is the king, imho.

Too bad... :(

It has more to do with flexibility and aesthetics with a dash of power usage. Majority of PC users have had towers, mini-towers, etc.. for years and they realized that either they never had the time or took the effort to upgrade any of the components for numerious reasons, or they have felt strapped down to a desk.

A great indicator is WiFi a/b/g/pre-n, why would WiFi be pushed down our throats if consumers did not want it and if you did have it, why would you want to sit at a desk? :confused:

Fuzzy14

macrumors 65816
Nov 19, 2006
Renfrew, Scotland
Some newbies can make a positive contribution. We were all newbies once...

Now we have the release(alleged) of Leopard. I am thinking that Apple is going to let the Mac Pro ride on the coat tails of Leopard. Once again doing absolutely nothing to the Mac Pro but generating a large amount of additional new sales.

Now Shipping with Mac OS X - Leopard will be stickered on the box and the Mac Pro web site will have the tag as well.

Agreed. I am giving up hope that we'll see a MacBook before Spring '08, and will bite the bullet when Leopard comes out. Place your bets!

eastcoastsurfer

macrumors 6502a
Feb 15, 2007

QUOTE]

Not just the Apple world, but the computing world in general. I remember reading not long ago that laptops have already taken or are very close to taking over sales when it comes to computers. Only makes sense that that is where Apple will focus their efforts from now on.

xUKHCx

Administrator emeritus
Jan 15, 2006
The Kop
When :apple: decided to transition to Intel x86 based processors, one on the main reasons was the power:mobility ration, thus it's is quite clear where the focus is.

If you thought that the MP would benefit a lot from this transition, think twice as virtually the entire Mac lineup uses mobility chips and only the MP and Xserve is the soar thumbs.

There is a bigger market for mobility products than power, hungry, non-portable computers. Sad however the consumers have spoken through they purchases. :)

wasn't it performance per watt, subtle difference but important.

CWallace

macrumors G4
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
I really hope this ThinkSecret rumor is wrong about the Macbook being the only hardware updated before the holidays. It's been what, 149 days since the last Macbook update?? It's been over 400 for the Mac Pro if you don't count the octo-core option and RAID card. Still, the Mac Pro is the oldest horse in the barn.

Fortunately, it's one heck of a stallion. :D

Retired
May 16, 2006
The Macbooks are very fast as-is, but they are Apple's biggest bringer of switchers, so the priority is on them, not the Mac Pro, which is desperately need of an update (not to mention the Xserve)...

digitalbiker

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2002
The Road
Mac Pro not for everyone!

QUOTE]

Not just the Apple world, but the computing world in general. I remember reading not long ago that laptops have already taken or are very close to taking over sales when it comes to computers. Only makes sense that that is where Apple will focus their efforts from now on.

The Mac Pro was never going to be the biggest seller. It is a true pro machine which by definition is a much smaller market. It was never meant to compete sales-wise with the consumer laptop market which is much larger.

However it is still the flagship machine for Apple. It is their best offering in terms of pure computing power and is the only platform that is a true pro video authoring, 3D modeling workstation, scientific workstation, and software development platform.

If the Mac Pro model dies on the Apple vine, so too does high-end scientific, graphics, video, and future innovative software for the entire OS.

The Mac Pro is still an elegant beauty with plenty of muscle. The current octo runs like a beast under Leopard. People just complain too much. Frankly there is very little that can't be done with the current Mac Pro.

What is does need is more mature software, more video card offerings, and more peripheral offerings such as Blu-Ray / HD-DVD authoring devices.

andiwm2003

macrumors 601
Mar 29, 2004
Boston, MA
...and you think Apple would sell a MacBook with those specs at that price?

C'mon, Apple would still prefer to sell MPBs to those who want more RAM. If the video card was the only reason to buy a MBP over a MB, few would buy it.

aside of these specs there is nothing else to upgrade to. eventually they have to go santa rosa. the mbp go penryn soon and theyu have a much better gpu/screen/alu design/FW800/express card slot.

with ibooks/powerbooks it was similar.

Mock Turtleneck

macrumors member
Oct 2, 2007
The Mac Pro was never going to be the biggest seller. It is a true pro machine which by definition is a much smaller market. It was never meant to compete sales-wise with the consumer laptop market which is much larger.

However it is still the flagship machine for Apple. It is their best offering in terms of pure computing power and is the only platform that is a true pro video authoring, 3D modeling workstation, scientific workstation, and software development platform.

If the Mac Pro model dies on the Apple vine, so too does high-end scientific, graphics, video, and future innovative software for the entire OS.

The Mac Pro is still an elegant beauty with plenty of muscle. The current octo runs like a beast under Leopard. People just complain too much. Frankly there is very little that can't be done with the current Mac Pro.

What is does need is more mature software, more video card offerings, and more peripheral offerings such as Blu-Ray / HD-DVD authoring devices.

I don't agree with you when you say if the Mac Pro dies off that all high-end scientific, graphics, video, and future innovative software dies off with it. With the recent technology developed by Intel and Apple, Apple could release a smaller, cheaper form factor machine running more conventional technology and market it beyond the crowd you mentioned to Joe Schmo.

An updated Mac Mini form-factor with space for 4 Hard Drives and an up to date video chip on board (Or Small Form PCI-E card) could provide Apple a machine that is still up to the tasks of a Mac Pro while also providing a price point available to your average user. Given Apple's recent moves, I wouldn't be surprised to see something similar to this within the next 2 / 4 years.

The Mac Pro isn't as important as it once was, it has served it's purpose as a testbed for the technology now in the XServe which, sadly, seems to have been it's major purpose. :apple:

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
So the rumor is Apple will be bundling a new Phantom MB w/ it's new OS X 10.5 OS vaporware? :D Seriously, counting down the days to Oct 26. I just wish Apple would start taking pre-orders so I can order my discounted EDU copy.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
So the rumor is Apple will be bundling OS X 10.5 OS vaporware with a new Phantom MB? :D Seriously, counting down the days to Oct 26. I just wish Apple would start taking pre-orders so I can order my discounted EDU copy. Not sure I believe the MB rumor though.

digitalbiker

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2002
The Road
I don't agree with you when you say if the Mac Pro dies off that all high-end scientific, graphics, video, and future innovative software dies off with it. With the recent technology developed by Intel and Apple, Apple could release a smaller, cheaper form factor machine running more conventional technology and market it beyond the crowd you mentioned to Joe Schmo.

An updated Mac Mini form-factor with space for 4 Hard Drives and an up to date video chip on board (Or Small Form PCI-E card) could provide Apple a machine that is still up to the tasks of a Mac Pro while also providing a price point available to your average user. Given Apple's recent moves, I wouldn't be surprised to see something similar to this within the next 2 / 4 years.

The Mac Pro isn't as important as it once was, it has served it's purpose as a testbed for the technology now in the XServe which, sadly, seems to have been it's major purpose. :apple:

You obviously don't own a Mac Pro. If you did you would know that the differential between the mobility platforms (ie mb, mbp, & imac) and the desktop platforms (Mac Pro, Xserve) is like night and day. Sure the mobility platforms are getting more and more powerful but the desktops and workstations are jumping by the same leaps and bounds.

Also for true workstation tasks there is no reason to go mini. Most workstation users need the screen real estate, or huge storage capacity and space is usually not that much of an issue.

As technology reduces chip-sizes, increases performance, boosts micro storage capacity, the workstation just has more room to be even more powerful, have more storage, etc. etc.

Remember word processing, 3D modeling, graphics editing, etc. etc. used to be performed on 6502 chips with 64K of memory and 144K of disk space. Today I could have 1000 times that performance in a micro cell phone.

I don't see a lot of video editors working on their cell phones. Why? Because as CPU, Storage, etc. become more powerful then the applications that run on the systems utilize these improvements for advanced data processing, graphic display, and file manipulation.

Therefore the Mac Pro or similar product will always have a market because the platform that is best for the consumer just isn't the platform that is best for the designer / developer.

Multimedia

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2001
Santa Cruz CA, Silicon Beach
Thanks For The Correction Aiden

The current MacBook has the Napa64 platform - the CPU is fully 64-bit capable. 64-bit virtual memory and 64-bit instructions are fully supported by the hardware (but not in a very useful way by OSX).

The restriction is that Napa64 has 32 physical address lines to memory - and since some physical addressing is needed for hardware and OS purposes only about 3.4 GiB of RAM is usable by the system.

And guess what - Santa Rosa adds 4 bits, it has 36 physical address lines on the chipset instead of 32.

Santa Rosa may be faster because of its faster memory bus, it may be faster because the chips clock slightly faster, it may be faster because you can use 4 GiB instead of 3.4 GiB (if you have a true 64-bit OS) - but it's not faster because it's "fully 64-bit".
Thanks for the full explanation.

Sources: Leopard finalized, 10.4.11 inching closer

Looks like the GM is out the door to the duplicators.

Multimedia

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2001
Santa Cruz CA, Silicon Beach
Mac Pro Isn't As Important As It Used To Be Back In The Good Old Days Of 2006?

You're kidding right? :rolleyes:

This kind of post makes me want to join the guys who think newbies shouldn't be allowed to post for their first 6 months of membership. ;)

Whoops! I didn't realize you had written more than one of those zingers:

ROTFLMAO... :) Since when is $5,000 a lot of money for a really fast loaded 16GB 8 core computer? How much money did you spend for your last car?

Your idea of what is expensive and Mac Pro users' idea of what is expensive are radically different ideas.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.