Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cobravap

macrumors regular
Oct 30, 2006
I have had 2 kernel panics in 2 days of using it. I got one when i was waking it up from sleep with nothing other than finder, and safari running in the background. And i just got one today doing a video chat on ichat. Both times the comps were plugged in and not much was going out in the background. Also the computer has frozen a couple of times when watching video in VLC when i fullscreen/normal screen too fast. Not sure if that is software related or hardware. What do u guys think? Should i try and get this exchanged?

BTW: specs: Stock 2.2 ghz SR mbp

dcv

macrumors G3
May 24, 2005
Tag another three kernel panics onto my list :rolleyes:

Is this an issue with just the 15" or the 17" as well?

I'm gonna return this to the store later today, only bought it last night...

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
I haven't had any problems with mine (17" 2.33), running on battery and on a wireless WEP network. I'm wondering whether this is a OS/software thing, rather than a hardware problem... 10.4.10 wouldn't be coming out soon if there weren't loose ends to be tied up.

birdman.ilikefl

macrumors newbie
Jun 15, 2007
i've made a post in regards to my mbp's performance, but now the kernel panics have started again

three in one night, within the space of 2 hours.
the first two were airport aertheros or whatever and the last one was some CPU:0 thing...

first panic was while it was doing nothing (black screen)
second panic was in the middle of transferring data from hdd to a usb
third panic was while playing COD2 demo (at a fps of 20, for some strange reason)

now my bluetooth mighty mouse doesn't work...
gonna try to call apple and take it back to the shop tomorrow.

tried a erase and install of osx already... should be a hardware fault and not software?

so why are these happening? or is it still a big mystery?

tubbtubb

macrumors newbie
Jun 16, 2007
more kernel panic info

Just wanted to add my info to the forum:

Macbook Pro C2D 15", 2.4GHz, 2GB RAM, 160GB HD.
Netgear 54Mbps 802.11g WGR614 v4 wireless router, connected via WEP

I had no kernel panics the first day with heavy usage and I was
connected to the internet via the wireless router mentioned above , however, I was not on battery power for much of that time.
This morning, I was on battery power for only about 15 minutes surfing the internet when I got my first kernel panic.

RustyM

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2004
I was unable to induce a panic last light while using AC power. I believe #3 is correct. I'll do extensive testing of #2 today by removing the security option on my router at home and working at a local coffee house tonight with free wifi.

1. Must be using wireless (ie browsing the internet, internet video, copying files)
2. Wireless must be using security (WEP, WPA)
3. Must be on battery power

ot73nl

macrumors member
Jun 12, 2007
again battery ±12 min, wep, safari

Sat Jun 16 17:40:33 2007
panic(cpu 0 caller 0x001A4A55): Unresolved kernel trap (CPU 0, Type 14=page fault), registers:
CR0: 0x8001003b, CR2: 0xfffffe87, CR3: 0x012ed000, CR4: 0x000006e0
EAX: 0xfffffe7f, EBX: 0xfbfff852, ECX: 0xfbfff7ff, EDX: 0xfffffe7f
CR2: 0xfffffe87, EBP: 0x2589bbf8, ESI: 0x3754f900, EDI: 0x00000004
EFL: 0x00010282, EIP: 0x0035c06a, CS: 0x00000008, DS: 0x00000010

Backtrace, Format - Frame : Return Address (4 potential args on stack)
0x2589b9e8 : 0x128d08 (0x3cc224 0x2589ba0c 0x131de5 0x0)
0x2589ba28 : 0x1a4a55 (0x3d2638 0x0 0xe 0x3d1e5c)
0x2589bb38 : 0x19aeb4 (0x2589bb50 0x23d322c8 0x2589bb88 0x35e168)
0x2589bbf8 : 0xdd65b5 (0x3754f900 0xfffffffc 0x6 0x53db1ae0)
0x2589bdd8 : 0xdd8059 (0x23d322c8 0x0 0x97e5000 0x6)
0x2589bf08 : 0x39b543 (0x23d32000 0x4300900 0x1 0x3fd3530)
0x2589bf58 : 0x39a715 (0x4300900 0x135eb4 0x0 0x3fd3530)
0x2589bf88 : 0x39a44b (0x4119cc0 0x0 0x450 0x1203)
0x2589bfc8 : 0x19ad2c (0x4119cc0 0x0 0x10 0x0) Backtrace terminated-invalid frame pointer 0x0
Kernel loadable modules in backtrace (with dependencies):
com.apple.driver.AirPort.Atheros(230.8.5)@0xda4000
dependency: com.apple.iokit.IONetworkingFamily(1.5.1)@0x68f000
dependency: com.apple.iokit.IOPCIFamily(2.2)@0x5f2000
dependency: com.apple.iokit.IO80211Family(160.2)@0xa5a000

knowone

macrumors newbie
Jun 14, 2007
IPv6 was not the answer

Turning off IPv6 on the mbp while connecting to a dlink 655 router did not prove successful, but I have a few more clues..

1) I concur that KPs happen when using security (in my case, WPA2) AND when on battery power.

2) The connection stability tends to erode after a while on battery power. If I disassociate with the router and re-associate, it is fine..but only for a short time. This is the first clue that a KP is imminent.

3) Turning security off at the router fixes the connection stability issue and I have not seen any KPs with it off.

As of yesterday evening, I decided to go and buy an Apple n router. I have it operating at 2.4Ghz (bgn mode) with WPA/WPA2 enabled and have not had any issues despite emptying the battery twice last night and this morning.

This is not the solution that I wanted since the apple router does not have gigabit ports of QoS support, but it did seem to fix the issue. I will let you know if I encounter any more KPs with this setup.

Questions for the group..

1) Is anyone else having difficulty associating with WPA on a non-apple router? I could only get WPA2 to work on the dlink 655. With WPA, the dlink kept telling me my credentials were not valid.

alwaysaangel

macrumors regular
May 14, 2007
I'm having this same problem.

3 times so far - all on battery right after an internet hiccup when I tried to turn the airport card off then on. It crashes.

So do I absolutely need to take this into the applestore and trade out my comptuer? Or could I just change my wifi or wait it out (not using the battery) until they fix whatever it is (seems like all of them have the issue) through a software update?

It took me forever to get my settings/programs on the computer and I'm not crazy about trading it in for a new one...

justflie

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 29, 2005
Red Sox Nation
Hmmm...

I'm not sure what would be the best course of action for you yet. There's still no definitive indicator if this is a hardware or software problem. If it's hardware, then it's probably a good idea to get a new one. If it's software related, we'll just have to wait for a patch or a firmware (kinda hardware) to download.

My MBP that is coming from CA should be arriving soon (sometime this week) so I will update you the same day it comes in if the problem is still present. If it is, then that is my 3rd MBP having this problem. It would be safe to assume that it is either a MASSIVE hardware problem, worthy of a recall, or a software problem that is present in all the new MBPs.

The waiting game continues...

alwaysaangel

macrumors regular
May 14, 2007
Hmmm...

I'm not sure what would be the best course of action for you yet. There's still no definitive indicator if this is a hardware or software problem. If it's hardware, then it's probably a good idea to get a new one. If it's software related, we'll just have to wait for a patch or a firmware (kinda hardware) to download.

My MBP that is coming from CA should be arriving soon (sometime this week) so I will update you the same day it comes in if the problem is still present. If it is, then that is my 3rd MBP having this problem. It would be safe to assume that it is either a MASSIVE hardware problem, worthy of a recall, or a software problem that is present in all the new MBPs.

The waiting game continues...
Alrighty - I'll wait and see what happens with you. If you get three bad ones in a row then I'm gonna assume its a widespread issue and I'm keeping mine until they fix it (it works so long as I'm not on battery).

Should I call applecare and just inform them of the problem so there is another report of it and maybe they'll take it more seriously? Or are they going to raise an eyebrow at me reporting it and not wanting to send them my computer.

PhilipTobias

macrumors newbie
Jun 18, 2007
Boulder, CO
Calling AppleCare

Should I call applecare and just inform them of the problem so there is another report of it and maybe they'll take it more seriously? Or are they going to raise an eyebrow at me reporting it and not wanting to send them my computer.

The more people who officially report this problem, the better.

AppleCare should not "raise an eyebrow." I once reported a display problem caused by another repair, but then waited nearly a year to deal with it. I simply told them that my work did not allow me to part with the computer at that time. They later handled things without further question.

Since it's currently unclear whether these kernal panics are a hardware or software issue, or what, if asked you could just tell AppleCare you're going to wait a bit and see how things shake out - before inconveniencing yourself further.

Hopefully this will get solved soon. I'm itching to replace my old PowerBook G4. But don't need this nuisance if I can avoid it.

Good luck. ...pt

dcv

macrumors G3
May 24, 2005
FWIW my second MBP has not suffered any kernel panics from the Airport Atheros driver yet. It's running on the same wireless network as the first and I've been running it on battery power too.

I had not installed any third party software on either of the machines, they were literally as they were, 10.4.9 out of the box + just ran Software Update.

People are talking about hardware/software issues...

Both MBPs were the same spec (15" 2.4GHz) and on the same wireless network (Apple Airport Express, using WEP) so I don't see how it can be a hardware issue otherwise surely all MBPs would fail?

As I said, I've not installed any other software so it can't be a software issue. :confused:

alwaysaangel

macrumors regular
May 14, 2007
FWIW my second MBP has not suffered any kernel panics from the Airport Atheros driver yet. It's running on the same wireless network as the first and I've been running it on battery power too.

I had not installed any third party software on either of the machines, they were literally as they were, 10.4.9 out of the box + just ran Software Update.

People are talking about hardware/software issues...

Both MBPs were the same spec (15" 2.4GHz) and on the same wireless network (Apple Airport Express, using WEP) so I don't see how it can be a hardware issue otherwise surely all MBPs would fail?

As I said, I've not installed any other software so it can't be a software issue. :confused:

Hmm in this case maybe I will just go and get a new one - I hate to do that though.

Plus last night I couldn't replicate the kernal panic when I tried...so maybe it was a one-time thing that just happened three times in a row?

But I don't want to keep a dud machine.

flowagner

macrumors member
Jun 1, 2007
Vienna, Austria
how do i look at the logs? today i had a kernel panic and dunno what exactly to do ... =) man that was so ******. i was at university typing what the professor said when suddenly the screen went all black. i mean what the **** ... i bought an apple to get a reliable machine.

justflie

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 29, 2005
Red Sox Nation
how do i look at the logs? today i had a kernel panic and dunno what exactly to do ... =) man that was so ******. i was at university typing what the professor said when suddenly the screen went all black. i mean what the **** ... i bought an apple to get a reliable machine.

You can go to: /Library/Logs and there should be a file called panic.log

Another way to do it is to open the Console app and view the logs (the log folders are in a sidebar on the left). Again, you would look in the /Library/Logs folder

I'm pretty sure that should cover it. I'm not on my MBP and my iMac has never kernel panicked so I can't actually see the log, but I'm 98% sure that is where you should find it.

cathart

macrumors newbie
Jun 19, 2007
MBP Kernel Panics

BTW, since I too have been having the KP's with my new MBP, I decided to call Apple. They are well aware of the problem, and even admitting now that others are also having issues! I have had to send them a disk image of my system--they think it's related to my 2Wire modem-router. I only get the KP's when on battery power, and airport is active. They want me to test the machine when I go to my condo in San Diego where I am connected to wireless with a Linksys router to see if it happens there while on battery power. They tell me that the more people who call them to tell them about the problem, the faster engineering will come up with a fix! So all of you who are having this problem, please do call Apple! They really are trying to work with us--they just need as much information as possible to fix things, and do it right! All of the new machines have Apple support, whether or not you bought Apple Care--take advantage of it!

justflie

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 29, 2005
Red Sox Nation
Someone please download the OS X update that came out today, 10.4.10. Does this fix the issue? Cuz that would be awesome.

My MBP Update: I should have it back from CA this friday the latest, unless the delivery company tries to bring it after my college mail room closes. That would not be cool.

prome05

macrumors newbie
Aug 22, 2006
Someone please download the OS X update that came out today, 10.4.10. Does this fix the issue? Cuz that would be awesome.

My MBP Update: I should have it back from CA this friday the latest, unless the delivery company tries to bring it after my college mail room closes. That would not be cool.

I downloaded the update, and it made it worse for me. I was noticing small problems before the update, but never an official kernal panic. I had a couple freezes and problems turning the machine on.

After installing the update, before the OS even loads, I get a kernal panic. I just restarted several times in a row, and I can't even get the OS to run.

kombaton

macrumors newbie
Jun 21, 2007
here's my story

hard core developer on a pc for 11 years.
finally decided to get a mac, bought the new SR MBP 15.4, standard configuration. it panicked 2 times in the first day, it didn't look right.
called apple support, they took me through Alt+Cmd+P+R, things were calm for a day, then boom more panic.

since i'm new to this i didn't know where the logs are, took it to a store to ask them to check it, they sent me home with a new one.
2 days later, the mother F@#$ starts panicking again at a rate of twice a day.

finally decided to go through the logs and this is how i found this forum.

i'm on a wifi link to a 2Wire router with WEP. i disabled the WEP and opened the network, that didn't stop the next panic. downloaded the OS update, didn't help either. my internet keeps coming on and off, at first i thought it was the router, now i'm pretty sure its the mac.

i'm getting an ehternet cable tomorrow until the apple guys figure this one out, must be the driver. will post experiences and whether it solved the issue.

have a crashless day all.

mrfox64

macrumors newbie
Jun 21, 2007
same issues

I've read both the threads here and on the Apple support page regarding this issue. I thought it was just me at first but I'm glad that others have experienced similar issues.

When I received my laptop last week I suffered through dropped wireless connections and several kernel panics and reported the issues to my local Apple store. Upon inspection I was told to ask for a replacement through the online store (mine was custom configured with the 160gb hard drive) and reference the case# that was opened.

I just received my replacement laptop and have again suffered the same issues everyone has been reporting (dropped network connections, kernel panics galore). I'm frustrated like the rest of you and will be calling Apple to report my issues and hopefully help us all get a fix released as soon as possible.

I'm curious if anyone has installed Windows and tested wireless performance on XP or Vista. I think someone in the Apple support threads mentioned this but I'm not sure how successful they were. It'd help make it clearer as to whether this is an issue with OS X or with the hardware itself.

I'll keep you guys posted about the phone support.

FYI: I use a WRT54G router with WPA in mixed b/g mode.

cathart

macrumors newbie
Jun 19, 2007
Kombaton, Apple told me that the 2Wire router may be a compatibility problem. I am taking my machine to San Diego this weekend to try it with my WRT54G router--but MrFox seems to be having problems with this router as well, so I'm a little anxious about that.... BTW, no problems at all when I am connected to power.

knowone

macrumors newbie
Jun 14, 2007
Home Free (at least at home)

It has been nearly a week of heavy use on batery with no panics thanks to the new Apple Airport Extreme base station. Again, I am using the mixed bgn mode with WPA/WPA2 enabled.

The problem still has to be corrected and I did inform Applecare, but at least I am now free from issues at home. This is a great (stort term) revenue enhancement strategy for Apple; dump your other routers and buy Airports.

One more thing...loaded 10.4.10 last night-still no problems

mrfox64

macrumors newbie
Jun 21, 2007
temporary fix?

Per mattpeckham's recommendation, I switched from WPA to WPA2 using the TKIP algorithm. So far so good. I've even managed to use the internet in areas that usually were dead zones for the laptop previously.

Hopefully this will work as a temporary solution until Apple provides a real fix.

Now running: WRT54G with dd-wrt.v23 SP2 firmware in mixed b/g mode with WPA2-TKIP

Hope this helps anyone out there with a similar setup.

alwaysaangel

macrumors regular
May 14, 2007
So my bf called AppleCare for me and got on the line with a Level 2 Tech. They said that for my computer at least the problem was the power management settings. He had me reset the PRAM (hold command-option-p-r as it starts).

So far so good but I was having trouble replicating the Kernal Panic before anyway - its only happened 4 times to me. So who know if this really fixed it. But others may want to try this...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.