New MobileMe to Offer Wireless Access to iTunes Library?

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

The Wall Street Journal has added more details about the rumored MobileMe revamp that is potentially due this summer.
The new service would give users access to their iTunes libraries from, say an iPhone or iPad, instead of requiring that the devices be synced by cable with a computer and use space to store the actual files, the people said. The new service likely would be compatible with the iPhone 4, one of the people said.
The newspaper indicates that users will finally be able to access their iTunes libraries without syncing to their computer. Instead, files would be served wirelessly. There's been a lot of speculation that Apple might move towards "cloud" based music sync and services. Licensing issues are apparently holding up the debut of the service which was originally planned for last year.

Steve Jobs has said in the past that wireless sync services would come eventually.

Article Link: New MobileMe to Offer Wireless Access to iTunes Library?

Surely

Oct 27, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Good. As easy as it is to sync via usb cable, it's getting a little annoying.

I'm finding that I sync less and less lately, mostly because I couldn't be bothered. I used to sync daily.

I think that I sync my iPad once every two weeks.....

knemonic

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2009
Good. As easy as it is to sync via usb cable, it's getting a little annoying.

I'm finding that I sync less and less lately, mostly because I couldn't be bothered. I used to sync daily.

I think that I sync my iPad once every two weeks.....
I have been using Subsonic with iSub on my iPhone which works quite well.

The only drawback is when I am on the eL in chicago and go underground downtown, I loose signal, so naturally, I need to have music on the phone as backup.

If Apple implements something similar, for free and works amazingly well with their ecosystem, I am quite excited then.

greytmom

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Oooooh! Ahhhhhh!

Grimace

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2003
with Hamburglar.
Implementation....

All files you have in iTunes can be synched or just purchases from iTunes Music Store?

GBs worth of music over 3G...that could take a while.

MacAddict1978

macrumors 65816
Jun 21, 2006
cloud sounds cool. Even tho I think its just laziness that people can't plug it
into the computer.
I sort of agree, but I don't keep my entire library on my phone. (My music is 20 Gigs alone.) There are those times where you get a song in your head that you're like, "Hey, I want to hear that!" "Crap, it's not synced." Same with pictures. You get together with friends you took a trip with 2 years ago. It would be fun to pull up those pictures that you have no real need to carry on your phone, especially with how limited the iphone is with photo organization to begin with.

jaw04005

macrumors 601
Aug 19, 2003
AR
Meh. I think the WSJ has this mixed up. "Home Sharing" is already in iOS, that's what the Apple TV uses. Home Sharing is surely coming in iOS 5 to the iPad, iPhone and iPod touch for local Wi-fi sharing.

As for MobileMe iTunes sharing (similar to Back to My Mac, but within iTunes.app), that sounds like a separate feature.

bradleyt78

macrumors newbie
Jan 25, 2007
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148a Safari/6533.18.5)

The Audiogalaxy app does this pretty well... I sync my 30 GB+ music collection to my 16 GB iPhone 3GS. Works flawlessly over WiFi or 3G. Also, it's free. Sometimes I wonder why I just paid for another year of MobileMe. A few awesome things better be added to the service this year...

mattwolfmatt

macrumors 65816
Jun 7, 2008
Wait, are we talking about wireless syncing (over wifi) or about cloud based playback?

Will the songs/videos actually be on the device or not?

dstankus

macrumors member
May 19, 2010
So what would you do if you're in a tunnel, on a plane, or someplace where you aren't connected to said "cloud?"

And of course there are NEVER any data speed problems with AT&T's wonderful network either, right????

zin

macrumors 6502
May 5, 2010
United Kingdom
This would be a very nice addition, including the ability to wirelessly sync.

__
On an irrelevant note, since when did the MacRumor's team start posting articles over weekend? This is great. :D

Don Kosak

macrumors 6502a
Mar 12, 2010
Hilo, Hawaii
It doesn't seem to say "Wireless Sync".

It says, "files would be served wirelessly" which sucks.

WiFi Only? 3G?

Given the spotty coverage in the Boston Area, if it's 3G served on demand, I'd rather just sync via USB.

On the other hand, if it truly is wireless syncing, then I'd be happy. I had been syncing my PDA's via bluetooth for like 5 years before getting my first iPhone. The USB Cable feels like a throw-back to the 90s.

- Don

s1lentey3s

macrumors newbie
Feb 13, 2011
New York, NY
I think I'm forever going to hold a grudge against the rejection of the Lala iPhone app, then the closing of the Lala service entirely-- all at the hands of Apple. While I'm glad to see this return, Lala was free (in contrast with MobileMe), fully functional, and needed not to be fixed. What potential it had.

karsten

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2010
cloud storage works for lossy but what about lossless i doubt apple will host 300mb/album for every person. they'll probably still make you rip it yourself

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Meh. I think the WSJ has this mixed up. "Home Sharing" is already in iOS, that's what the Apple TV uses. Home Sharing is surely coming in iOS 5 to the iPad, iPhone and iPod touch for local Wi-fi sharing.
Or not. This could be a variant of lala.com. Might only be for what you bought through itunes, which will be in your purchase history. So it would be easy to trigger a stream from your account list

aarond12

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2002
Dallas, TX USA
This would be ideal if you have high-speed Internet access wherever you go. Last week, I was in a tiny town that didn't even have 3G service for cellular phones (Verizon OR AT&T). How can I stream my music? The hotel had a decent connection but it wasn't free and my company won't pay for that. :mad:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.