Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tuzzanti

macrumors member
May 9, 2016
Agreed. I also had that feeling when they started making Apple Watches worth thousands of dollars. Apple is the not the same company.

When this was in the design stages, to me it seemed amazing, incredible, awe-inspiring.

Now (maybe there's a reality distortion field dampener on here somewhere...) it seems ostentatious.

chiefsilverback

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2011
I never paid attention to the early stages of this mammoth. Does anyone know how much this thing cost to build?
The oft quoted figure is $5,000,000,000!
[doublepost=1481222846][/doublepost]
With an HQ like this, I expect more updates across product lines, more innovation, more experimentation/R&D.
Taking an optimistic, glass half full stance, maybe they're holding out to make announce a massive product update in their new underground auditorium?

Gasu E.

macrumors 603
Mar 20, 2004
Not far from Boston, MA.
Now if only they could put this much design effort into giving us a new iPhone form factor. :p
Please get together with the guy posting just above you.
[doublepost=1481223992][/doublepost]
All that space just to make iPhone designs. I remember the time when Apple made professional computer equipment! Those were heady days. I thought they would never end. Oh well, same story with democracy. But thats another thread.
Please meet up with the guy posting just below you.

Reactions: ipedro

smaffei

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2003
Can't shake the feeling that here stands our non-released products. A great product is this buildning but I hope creativity will come forth from it.

I thought that too. The only truly innovative product they've produced in the last 5 years is a building.

iosuser

macrumors 65816
Mar 12, 2012
Can't believe how fast they built this place.

Did they build some sort of high speed people moving contraption in there? It looks like a very long walk to reach the other side of the building!

NewtonAurelius

macrumors member
Nov 27, 2012
Orlando, Florida
How about someone go to Texas and fly a drone over the Mac Pro factory. At the very least if the parking lot is empty, then we will know the product is dead.

The Mac Pro is about to be 1,100 days old and still being sold for full price. If Apple is not going to update this machine, then just go ahead and discontinue it so we can all move on already.

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
I share your optimism and your realism. Tim Cook only has so much bandwidth and hours in the day. If he is thinking about the million details that go into planning and building a million square foot building, then this takes away time spent planning and building upgraded Macs.
Tim Cook is not the only person who works at Apple.

mcfrazieriv

macrumors 65816
Jan 30, 2012
It will be a very sad day when this beautiful building houses multiple tenants and is leased out by some equity company that bought it for a quarter of the price it took Apple to build it.
[doublepost=1481224954][/doublepost]
Those huge ledges outside the windows are going to be great when birds **** all over them :D

And those huge open doors are going to be great when birds fly inside the building and cause the same issues.

- rob -

macrumors 65816
Apr 18, 2012
Oakland, CA
Can't shake the feeling that here stands our non-released products. A great product is this buildning but I hope creativity will come forth from it.
This is absolutely what has happened. Apple does not care about disappointing upgrade cycles. The campus is the number one priority for the company. There are no good product cycles on the horizon if there are problems with this "product."

Most innovative design Apple has put out in years.
Many folks seem to misunderstand that this company does everything it can to produce new products right the first time. This is especially true for this campus, which is the largest and most complicated product created in the company's history. This building is likely intended to house product innovation for a century.

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
Those huge ledges outside the windows are going to be great when birds **** all over them :D

Good catch.
Those "miles" of thin horizontal sun visors above each level are too thin and flimsy to allow a human to stand on. It also appears that the windows don't open.

How the heck are they going to prevent this new spaceship from turing into the largest pigeon roost on earth?

image.jpeg

MRrainer

macrumors 68000
Aug 8, 2008
Zurich, Switzerland
When this was in the design stages, to me it seemed amazing, incredible, awe-inspiring.

Now (maybe there's a reality distortion field dampener on here somewhere...) it seems ostentatious.

Really?
It's vast, sure. But ostentatious? It would be if everything was gold-plated,
Do you think they'll give it a rosé-gold finish?
;-)

Mac Fly (film)

macrumors 68020
Feb 12, 2006
Ireland
It wouldn't be MR if the posters didn't spin this story negatively. And it wasn't designed by Steve Jobs at all, he wanted several separated smaller buildings. It was the genius of Norman Forster and his team who came up with the perfect circle + giant courtyard. A thing of beauty and Ive was heavily involved with the project insisting the concrete was pored on site and that replicas were made and tested on site before the larger version was built. People forget the 1,000 seater underground auditorium there will be where most Apple product unveilings will be going forward—and it was designed so you can drive down into it and onto the stage: hint-hint

Last edited:
Reactions: MRrainer

clearlydj

macrumors newbie
Oct 26, 2015
Am I the only one seeing the "obvious"? Clearly, this is an indoor circular track for the secret Apple Car!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.