Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nigglesworth

macrumors newbie
Jun 18, 2014
It is just a round building?! It is not going to launch into outer space and is not worthy on monthly updates or drone flyovers....

Arran

macrumors 601
Mar 7, 2008
Atlanta, USA
You want to sell Disney to an employee who probably has an offer from Microsoft, Oracle, Salesforce, Facebook and Google.
But if they're someone who is so easily swayed by a flashy office building ... are they really the sort of employee you want to be chasing?

Henry Moore (like a great many artists) worked in what appeared to be a haphazard dump. Did it negatively affect his output:

henry-moore-artwork-large-71724.jpg

BvizioN

macrumors 603
Mar 16, 2012
Manchester, UK
All that space just to make iPhone designs.

Apple sells hundreds of millions of iPhones. It's fare more important product therefore requires far more attention. And obviously you would be naive if you seriously think Apple is focused on just the iPhone. But if I have to guess is you are one of these who wishes Apple would make exclusively just Mac's and nothing else.

derboy

macrumors regular
Feb 25, 2004
UK
It looks fantastic. If all businesses paid as little tax as apple, then they might also be able to do things like this.

winmacuser

macrumors member
Feb 13, 2009
I wonder, with all the late bad news about scarce water resources in California, how Apple will keep this green paradise alive.

keithjfuller

macrumors regular
Jan 28, 2010
That place is already looking outdated and gimmicky, just like their UI and product designs.

Applebot1

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2014
UK
It feels Apple are in need for new direction and innovation. Lets
hope this building inspires. Problem is Cook doesn't inspire people.

Naaaaak

macrumors 6502a
Mar 26, 2010
A cool structure that's going to use horrid open-office layouts. So it's a fancy new corporate office run by business-types who think engineer-types will cherish the noise and nonstop interruptions.

And you wonder why the quality of their OSes only worsens.

dfelix

macrumors regular
Jul 13, 2011
It's sad to see that they will finish this before the fabled Mac Pro 7,1 comes out, if it even ever does

keithjfuller

macrumors regular
Jan 28, 2010
A cool structure that's going to use horrid open-office layouts. So it's a fancy new corporate office run by business-types who think engineer-types will cherish the noise and nonstop interruptions.

And you wonder why the quality of their OSes only worsens.
exactly, apple is all form and no function lately. they used to care about making great things, then they made them look cool. now, it's like let's make the thinnest/sleekest looking thing out there then try and cram stuff into that tiny space.

Reactions: Naaaaak

Cloudane

macrumors 68000
Aug 6, 2007
Sweet Apple Acres
Positive comments seem rare here but I think that must be an awesome place to work. It'd feel like being on the Starship frickin' Enterprise like an absolute boss.

Reactions: kucharsk

woodbine

macrumors regular
Aug 8, 2010
Bath, UK
"The ceiling of the ring-shaped building is equipped with a series of skylights that will let in natural light...Ledges extending out over windows block light, as do built-in window shades."

So, they installed skylights to allow natural light in, but put ledges extending out over windows to block light? Got it.
It's difficulty to tell from the pics, but the look like a frosted type glass. Even so, in CA daylight you need to avoid direct light through a window. It creates too much heat inside.

malexandria

Suspended
Mar 25, 2009
All that space just to make iPhone designs. I remember the time when Apple made professional computer equipment! Those were heady days. I thought they would never end. Oh well, same story with democracy. But thats another thread.

I remember a time when they had iPhone designs....

tbrinkma

macrumors 68000
Apr 24, 2006
"The ceiling of the ring-shaped building is equipped with a series of skylights that will let in natural light...Ledges extending out over windows block light, as do built-in window shades."

So, they installed skylights to allow natural light in, but put ledges extending out over windows to block light? Got it.

Sounds like somebody doesn't understand that light at different angles has different effects on the workspace. Or that light at different diffusion has different effects on the workspace. Or that controlling the amount of light that enters a building *also* controls the amount of *heat* that enters a building. These are all concerns that are dealt with in architectural designs. The details of the problems vary depending on the locale, as do the details of the solutions.

TallManNY

macrumors 601
Nov 5, 2007
60 workers over 5 months to install tiling on a wall?!?!? There really are some lavish expenses built into this building. It is definitely part monument to Apple and its managers and part necessary office building.

MRrainer

macrumors 68000
Aug 8, 2008
Zurich, Switzerland
Me too, I am going to try get a press invite closer to grand opening. I am sure press will get a tour.

Already jealous...
[doublepost=1481320480][/doublepost]
You're aware that this is about consolidating a growing number of split teams in various locations around the city, bringing them all back together again, with room to grow. The was a much-needed upgrade!

Some people obviously think one could have rounded up developers in giant converted warehouse, a la this here:

UBS%20trading%20floor%202008.jpg

and distributed the rest of the 5 billion to the shareholders.
[doublepost=1481320592][/doublepost]
Is that kind of like all those posts saying that Apple will be doing the same thing with their current HQ when the iPod was announced?

"I'd shut it down and give the money back to the shareholders".

Mr. Dee

macrumors 603
Dec 4, 2003
Jamaica
But if they're someone who is so easily swayed by a flashy office building ... are they really the sort of employee you want to be chasing?

Henry Moore (like a great many artists) worked in what appeared to be a haphazard dump. Did it negatively affect his output:

henry-moore-artwork-large-71724.jpg
Tell that to Steve Jobs, since he is the one who proposed it. The reality is, its going to be a beautiful environment to work in and its a plus working there.

Reactions: Nick11Mac

ackmondual

macrumors 68020
Dec 23, 2014
U.S.A., Earth
Well, glad to see they didn't continue the "thinsanity" with their corporate buildings, although I'd like to see them NOT do that for the products they make... the things that us consumers can enjoy!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.