Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jtrauscht

macrumors regular
Sep 6, 2010
Nashville, TN
Whenever people start building monuments to themselves, you've got trouble. I'm happy Apple has had success – I've benefitted from its great products over the last 25 years. But lately they are losing me, and this massive effort and expense is becoming a representation for my disappointment. Less a spaceship and more of a Spruce Goose.

Last edited:

Boatboy24

macrumors 65816
Nov 4, 2011
1 Infinite Loop
"The ceiling of the ring-shaped building is equipped with a series of skylights that will let in natural light...Ledges extending out over windows block light, as do built-in window shades."

So, they installed skylights to allow natural light in, but put ledges extending out over windows to block light? Got it.

Last edited:

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
The ceiling of the ring-shaped building is equipped with a series of skylights that will let in natural light...Ledges extending out over windows block light, as do built-in window shades.

So, they installed skylights to allow natural light in, but put ledges extending out over windows to block light? Got it.
Natural light that is more ambient coming in from the top vs. potential direct sunlight coming from the side?

Reactions: Jax44 and xmonkey

Woodcrest64

macrumors 65816
Aug 14, 2006
Looking forward to when they make thinner MacBook Pro with no keyboard with the ULTRA size touch pad at this new HQ :D
touchbar.jpg

ChrisCW11

macrumors 65816
Jul 21, 2011
By the time this thing is done Apple will have to lease half the space out because they won't have enough products selling well to keep the lights on. Maybe they can lease the space to Foxconn and this will be the new US factory.

There is only so much lab space you need to find ways of gluing innovative components made by other companies like Intel, LG or Samsung into metal cases.

Reactions: now i see it

mitso

macrumors member
Jun 7, 2012
Those huge ledges outside the windows are going to be great when birds **** all over them :D

Plan A was to employ mexicans but now with Trump plan B is for Apple to create a custom cleaning machine that would track around the perimeter eaves of the building to clean all ledges and windows within the hour.

coolfactor

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2002
Vancouver, BC
All that space just to make iPhone designs. I remember the time when Apple made professional computer equipment! Those were heady days. I thought they would never end. Oh well, same story with democracy. But thats another thread.

You're aware that this is about consolidating a growing number of split teams in various locations around the city, bringing them all back together again, with room to grow. The was a much-needed upgrade!

kdarling

macrumors P6
A building of absolute beauty. You'd be hard pressed to dread going into work.

Workers care more about the size and placement of their cubicle, than what the outside looks like :)

I've read that walkways go all the way around both inside and outside the circle. If so, that means all offices are contained inside, and no one has an outside view from their office.

Does anyone know if that's the way it is?

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
Let it be known for those who haven't worked behind a corporate desk all day long, year after year staring at a computer, that it doesn't make jack difference what the building you work in looks like.
You're still staring at that GD screen all day long in a physical state of torpor with little to no time to get up and take any break except your 1 hour lunch.

Reactions: MKevin3

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Let it be known for those who haven't worked behind a corporate desk all day long, year after year staring at a computer, that it doesn't make jack difference what the building you work in looks like.
You're still staring at that GD screen all day long in a physical state of torpor with little to no time to get up and take any break except your 1 hour lunch.
Plenty of people have more time to take a break here and there and enjoy the amenities, in particular when it comes to how things work in companies like this in Silicon Valley.

Reactions: dehydratedH2O

Suspended
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere
I wonder what happens to the building when Apple goes under. I can't imagine too many businesses that can move into there.
If they do some property holding company will buy it and lease it out to several different companies to use.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.