Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

crpchristian

macrumors member
Mar 8, 2005
To me its not a matter of dissapointment for the clock speeds if they are true (most people are just pissed about promises and wishful thinking and not just the performance alone which is really all that should matter in the end), it's that why did it take so long for THIS update to happen? Depending on the price (i might just get a dual 2.0, load up on ram and trade in for a better update when teh time comes). If there are any dual cores, i'll get one right away, if not....why couldn't this update have come 3-4 months ago....i thought this was the year of HD?.....oops, sorry... i shouldnt whine until an announcement is actually made :)

Kerry Sanders

macrumors regular
Apr 25, 2005
Hayden, AL
eva01 said:
Aren't we all nerds thou, i mean i already have my Tiger being shipped to me but am going to the release party still :p. and i have your typical nerd stuff, anime and Star Wars (fiance calls me a otaku/dork [same thing basically])

Yes, we are all nerds and I envy all of you who has an Apple Store close to them. The closest one to me is 172 miles away in Atlanta, Georgia. I cannot drive over due to work. :)

kainjow

Moderator emeritus
Jun 15, 2000
Yvan256 said:
I can't access ThinkSecret?!
I did a port scan on thinksecret.com and it appears their web server is completely down, yet the ftp and smtp/pop3 are up... hmm

drewyboy

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2005
Kerry Sanders said:
OK... I have a question for the people in this thread. How many people, other than me, are actually planning to purchase a new Mac and are only waiting to see if Apple makes any announcements to coincide with Tiger's release?

I am going to order a Power Mac G5 system, but I want to see if they do make announcements. :)

I was actually going to get one mid-may, but i've decided i'm prob going to end up w/ a pb just cuz of portability which i need here at school. Sux i have to pay out just as much for quite a bit less. I need something to do occasional v-editing... hopefully the pb 15" w/ 2g ram can handle it. :(

Porchland

macrumors 65816
Apr 26, 2004
Georgia
I've had good success with expensive skin care products. Quid pro quo.

SeRgIo_42 said:
Well...it is nice to hear about upgrades but they
still out of my next purchase...anything
above 1800 is out of range...at least until another
renegotiation with my wife :p

kkrista

macrumors newbie
Apr 25, 2005
New Jersey
I'll Be Buying, Regardless

Kerry Sanders said:
OK... I have a question for the people in this thread. How many people, other than me, are actually planning to purchase a new Mac and are only waiting to see if Apple makes any announcements to coincide with Tiger's release?

I, for one, am planning on purchasing a Power Mac once the new ones are announced. My single processor Power Mac G4 500 has served my well for years now, but its getting long in the tooth and Tiger just isn't in its future. Basically, I'm looking to get the most bang for my buck here, which is why I've waited this long. Even if I'm only getting a small (really small) speedbump by waiting, the wait was worth it. Upgrading wasn't critical for me until Tiger saw the light of day. Well Tiger is here, so now its time to upgrade.

Object-X

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2004
Yes I do

GFLPraxis said:
You do realize that the XBox 2 is using PowerPC processors, not Cell chips, right? ;)

Yes of course; my question about the Xbox WS was more of an aside. The Sony PS3 however will be using the Cell chip and they are saying that a Cell based workstation is forthcoming; hence my suggestion of a high-end Powermac with an integrated Cell.

Object-X

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2004
DOS

kainjow said:
I did a port scan on thinksecret.com and it appears their web server is completely down, yet the ftp and smtp/pop3 are up... hmm

Wow, Apple is DOS'ing them! ;)

dosers

macrumors member
MS

Nah, they're real - they've been around for a while. They are Dual 2.5 Powermacs with 2 big Microsoft Dev stickers on it (Xenon being the codename for Xbox 360). Most of the development can actually be done on the PC, but the compiler is PowerPC only which is why MS has been shipping these systems to Game developers for a while. The Xbox CPU is PowerPC based (and, in fact is multi-core, though it's not a G5 and and it's not shipping till the end of the year. Much like dual-core G5 PMs will ;-) ).
They are not running OS X by the way, though I have seen at least one dual boot (on 2 drives), not sure if it came that way from MS or if they did this after the fact.

Object-X said:
Perhaps a high end workstation with an integrated cell chip for making the games! I saw a picture of an alleged Xbox 2 development machine that was a Powermac. Anyone else see this, or was it an old April 1 joke? Perhaps that would dovetail with the page 2 Apple gaming division rumor.

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
and the next Intel chips will "do it right"

daveL said:
The DC Intels do *not* have on-chip core-to-core interconnects. Each core has to go out to the external bus on the motherboard to communicate, just like a dual processor system. AMD, however, did it right, as I'm sure IBM will.

Note that Intel has more than 10 dual-core chip projects underway....

What Intel did for time-to-market reasons on the first dual-core won't determine what happens with later chips. Expect Intel to "do it right" before too long (and to rake in the cash from the 1st generation chips while they're working on it).

octoberdeath

macrumors regular
Feb 22, 2005
Kerry Sanders said:

I am going to order a Power Mac G5 system, but I want to see if they do make announcements. :)

I have been waiting for the right time to puchase a new computer so that I can do video editing. for about two years now I have been using my toshiba laptop running on a 2GHz Celeron with 496MB of RAM! It SUCKS!!! I am getting aother job within the next two weeks that will hopefully allow me to purchase the mid range Power Mac with a 20" Apple Screen. I am so anxious about it, its driving me crazy! But yes I will be purchasing a Power Mac G5 toward the end of June. I actually have a wedding that I will be filming on June 18 for a friend; they are paying me $250 to do it which isn't that great but... considering that my camcorder got stolen and that I don't have a computer to edit it on yet I think it is pretty resonable (a friend is letting me borrow his camcorder). So here is what I hopefully will be getting:

Power Mac G5 2.0GHz or 2.3GHz
20" Apple Cinema Display
Final Cut Express HD

& if I have money left over:

iSight
Canon EOS 20D - 8.2MP Digital SLR Camera
Canon ZR200 DV Camcorder

JesterJJZ

macrumors 68020
Jul 21, 2004
avalys said:
I saw a pack of ten on sale for $20 yesterday. Versus ten single-layers for $12.99.

Well right now I can get a 50 pack spindle of single layered for about 30 bucks. Untill I can get a 50 pack of Duals for $60, I'm staying with singles and dual dvd cases for my projects.

easy4lif

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2005
Southbay CA
I just wanted to ask

I was looking at the Hard Drive replacement manual for the iMac G5 and at the bottom of everya page it states:

033-2489 Rev B

could that also signal iMac updates tomorrow

mccoma

macrumors regular
Jul 15, 2002
Was I going to buy?

Kerry Sanders said:

Well, the processor speeds listed are fine for me, but I don't want to order a system with AGP. I want a combo of PCI-Express and PCI-X. AGP is going out and I intend to keep my next machine for a long time.

So, I am a no go until the bus changes.

DakotaGuy

macrumors 601
Jan 14, 2002
South Dakota, USA
2.3 Ghz Dual if priced right will be the sweet spot in this line up. I wonder if it will be liquid cooled like the big boy? I think what is so funny is when people get on these boards that are current owners of 733Mhz G4's, etc. and go on and on how upset they are about Apple only making a 2.7Ghz and how slow it will be and blah blah blah...that is just funny to me.

Cooknn

macrumors 68020
Aug 23, 2003
Fort Myers, FL
octoberdeath said:
I have been waiting for the right time to puchase a new computer so that I can do video editing.
FWIW I've been using my Power Mac Dual 2GHz w/ 1GB Ram for about 18 months to do video editing with Final Cut Express and DVD Studio Pro. It's works beautifully. If I were you, I would get the best GPU and add more memory out of the gate than I did though. 2 GB of RAM is probably the sweet spot now. Not sure about the most bang for the buck with current video cards...

danr_97070

macrumors member
Jul 29, 2004
Earth
Yawn...

Bear said:
Probably at some point, possibly with the next update. Apple has been pretty good about keeping the burner technology moving along in each product line.

I'm more interested in something that'll burn HD DVD. Who cares about dual-layer? Isn't this the year of HD, Steve?

rog

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2003
Kalapana, HI
JesterJJZ said:
Well right now I can get a 50 pack spindle of single layered for about 30 bucks. Untill I can get a 50 pack of Duals for $60, I'm staying with singles and dual dvd cases for my projects.
I've had my $65 dual layer burner in my MDD for 3 months now. So big whoop if Apple adds DL burners, that should have happened months ago. Anyway I can't see any great advantage to using DL at the moment as it also burns much slower than the 16X speed of SL discs and I don't use DVD Studio Pro so my projects are pretty limited.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Abercrombieboy said:
I think what is so funny is when people get on these boards that are current owners of 733Mhz G4's, etc. and go on and on how upset they are about Apple only making a 2.7Ghz and how slow it will be and blah blah blah...that is just funny to me.

:D Good call! I also love how everyone complains about that missing 300MHz. It's 300MHz!

Marianco

macrumors member
Mar 18, 2002
Please Apple, Steve...

Make it a Dual-Core, Dual Processor Powermac!

Please, oh please. I've been waiting so long for a quad processor Mac.

vtprinz

macrumors 6502
Nov 30, 2004
I know everyone is going to keep clinging onto to dead hopes for dual core, as well as annoying notions of apple conspiracies against the rumor mongers, but since it seems like the details are pretty well corroborated now, I think it's pretty safe to say we know what we're going to be getting.

So lets focus on the more important aspect to this meager upgrade: PRICE!

What do you guys think? Just a shift down, bring the dual 2.0 to the $1999 mark, or could it go as low as $1499 (the single 1.8 price)?

How much of a price drop did the PB's get in january (if any)?

vtprinz

macrumors 6502
Nov 30, 2004
Abercrombieboy said:
I think what is so funny is when people get on these boards that are current owners of 733Mhz G4's, etc. and go on and on how upset they are about Apple only making a 2.7Ghz and how slow it will be and blah blah blah...that is just funny to me.

try 866 MHz G3 ;)

I'll be happy with anything, but the more the merrier, eh? :p

EDIT: come to think of it, I'm going to completely bypass the G4 processor :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.