New Renderings Show an 'iPhone 8' Design With Full-Front Display and Minimal Bezels All Around

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Apr 16, 2017.

1. Lancer macrumors 68020

Lancer

I'm still using the old school 5s with proper home button, I've tried the newer ones which feels weird with no physical movement in the button. This will be a big change with the home button built into the screen.

2. Krizoitz macrumors 65816

Krizoitz

1. I don't understand the obsession with bevel free designs. Unless you have a suction cup for a hand that can grip the back, your fingers need something to hold on to that won't be an issue if its partly obstructed, SOME amount of bezel is a good thing.

2. No bezel means NO CASE THAT CAN WRAP AROUND, this is also a terrible design idea because it means dropping the phone is more dangerous.

3. Non-square screens like this are a TERRIBLE IDEA. They are a *PITA* to program for and place all sorts of odd constraints on what can effectively be displayed there. Even worse? Having a freaking HOLE in the middle of the screen for the speaker and front facing camera parts.

Expanding the screen/reducing the bezel is one thing, but its clear the people putting together these mock-ups haven't thought through the engineering and usage constraints.

I'm also not sure why eliminating the physical home button is seen as ideal, unless they can incorporate the touch sensor into the screen its going to mean awkwardly sticking the sensor on the back of the phone (ala Samsung). Not to mention you'll have to dedicate that part of the screen to the home button anyway, so you might as well leave it there. Again, there are a LOT of engineering and useability reasons to stick with a physical hardware button (even if its no longer a mechanical switch one, ala the iPhone 7, MacBook Pro trackpad.

3. Mammut macrumors member

Mammut

Because you didn't look correct on the measurements: one measurement (2.5mm) is from edge of the display to edge of the flat area of the display glass (after that edge: rounding). The other measurement (4mm) is from edge of the display to edge of the device.

4. djalice macrumors member

djalice

If they can get the Touch ID under the screen, that’d be a Wow feature. The thinks that would put me off is a curved screen. I don’t know why that is a thing? It seems to distort the image on the display. Why would you want that? The other, less annoying, feature is the rounded corners on the display. I don’t want to watch video with the corners clipped. Still, prefer that than curved display. I think the speaker could easily be hidden by putting it right at the top or even pointing upwards. Can’t wait for this but I hope Apple doesn’t drop the ball and comes up with something better that the S8.

5. rippley5150 macrumors regular

rippley5150

I really wish the camera was horizontal rather than vertical.

6. Tech198 macrumors G5

Since everything is under the display, no wonder Apple's having an issue..... "first time" is tough,

second time.. "Ya, we got it!!' :) This phone will be less of a finger-print magnet, since they'll be no bezels to see the smudges, but the screen... well .... you'll need a protector.

7. Floris macrumors 68020

Floris

mm, can't say I am having the same response as when I was holding the s8+ in my hands.

8. itsboi macrumors regular

I would love for the next iPhone to have chamfered edges like the 4/5 as opposed to rounded. It just looks better and wouldn't be as slippery.

9. farewelwilliams, Apr 17, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2017

farewelwilliams macrumors 68020

- i'd imagine there will be still enough bezel to hold the phone in the same manner
    - cases aren't impossible even with this less-bezel design
    - i honestly don't think a speaker within a screen will make it to the final design. jony and his team made it very clear that the single most important aspect of the iphone is the display and there should not be any distractions. the whole point of removing the bezel is to be less distracting. having a speaker cut out within a screen is actually more distracting than bezels.
    - sensor on the back of the phone does not make sense, so i don't think Apple is going to do that. no one can unlock the phone when the phone is resting on the table. it only makes sense to put the sensor under the display

10. BMcCoy macrumors 68000

BMcCoy

What if there's a bit more space inside the phone in that orientation, so the cameras can be flush with the back surface? Would that be a good reason to accept this vertical orientation?!
    --- Post Merged, Apr 17, 2017 ---
    Me too, but alas I think Apple likes curves.

11. borgqueenx macrumors 65816

but this scares me as well. If there is no other option they have to put it on the back and then keep that for years since else it would make them look like they made a mistake. They will never do that. They will announce touch id on the back as the best solution ever.

12. justiny Contributor

justiny

The only concern of this render causing Steve to roll in his grave is that damn camera lens hump.

Everything else is win, win, win.

13. apolloa macrumors G4

This is just some random person who has nothing to die with Apple idea of what it'll be like. It's pretty much a copy of pictures we've seen before.
    I really can't see the phone having the camera behind the screen but you never know I guess?

14. Jsameds macrumors 68040

So basically you're telling me....someone has done a drawing?

15. Mike82 macrumors member

16. Fabmac macrumors member

Fabmac

17. alpi123 macrumors 6502a

alpi123

I wish concepts like this could end because they're nowhere realistic, how the **** is the earphone cut out going to make its way through the display and not interface the apps for example? That's not something Apple would do

18. Moccasin, Apr 17, 2017

Moccasin macrumors 6502a

Moccasin

I think they'd rather hold back on a launch (& take the negative press & sales dip) than release something that traps them in a dead end & prevents them fulfilling future plans. Many changes to the iPhone make greater sense after a generation or two as changes that seem pointless one year enable more fundamental changes in the next and so changing tack like moving TouchID to the back would likely require a major rethink of future generations.

On a personal level, I doubt I'd buy a phone with the touch sensor on the back as it is something I use all the time with the phone (or iPad) laid on my desk. That would be another major issue for them - if (as seems likely) the plan is to implement the same tech in the iPad, then such a change would affect their whole mobile strategy, not just one year's model of iPhone.
    While I seem to recall that there are Apple patents showing the camera behind the screeen, I agree that the current earpiece would be unlikely to work that way. It'd have to be moved or the tech it uses would have to change fundamentally. These concepts are produced by those who don't really think about engineering constraints/realities.

19. ioi macrumors newbie

ioi

Similar: 8X7.png

Attached Files:

20. Scottyltd macrumors member

Scottyltd

With no home button it looks a lot like a Samsung :-x

21. ioi macrumors newbie

ioi

Haha...

This from the same Steve Jobs who famously said in 1996: "Picasso had a saying -- 'good artists copy; great artists steal' -- and we have always been shameless about stealing great ideas.

22. simonmet, Apr 17, 2017

simonmet macrumors 68020

simonmet

That's a very good point. My feeling is the only way a design like this could work is if most apps don't use that bit at the top and bottom of the screen where the corners are cut off, only the completely rectangular portion. At least not until they're updated to be compatible. And we've all seen how long (if ever) that can take developers when Apple introduces a new screen size and aspect ratio.

This would probably allow the earphone cutout to appear to sit above and not inside the screen for most apps, games and videos. It simply couldn't work to be watching a movie and have the corners cut off and part of the screen obscured by a speaker. This would of course affect the symmetry so I wonder whether the effort of making the top and bottom bezels the same as the left and right is even worth the likely difficulty in achieving it (my feeling is it's not).

So in this design the top section in particular would have to be almost permanently reserved for the status bar that is turned off when in games or movies or other apps that don't currently display it and a similar portion of the bottom too. If the screen is OLED you won't notice the disabled sections of the screen when not in use, but the aspect will become slightly squarer (note this design is more rectangular with a 2.18:1 aspect ratio by my calculations instead of the 1.78:1 we're used to in the 16:9 format).

No doubt Apple are considering lots of designs including putting the earphone cutout entirely above the screen and making the screen have slightly larger top and bottom bezels than left and right, just much less so than currently.
    I'm assuming you could still press the sleep/wake button to achieve the same thing?

23. Clevland, Apr 17, 2017

Clevland macrumors newbie

Because problems with touchID in screen I will show you how does iphone 7s will look:
    [​IMG]
    There is the normal touchID.

24. DanielDD macrumors 6502

As usual, there is something really un-Apple-y about these renderings. Waiting for the final interface. I hope WWDC will give us a closer link at what we will get (just looking at some UI changes)