New Renderings Show an 'iPhone 8' Design With Full-Front Display and Minimal Bezels All Around

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Apr 16, 2017.

1. Steve686 macrumors 68040

Steve686

If the sensors were square, and they aren't in almost all digital cameras on the planet, Apple could simply add an 'Orientation' button on the camera app similar to the 'selfie' button.

The 3D idea holds because I would imaging videoing in landscape is more in line with the VR headsets and how they are used.

2. Azzin macrumors 601

Azzin

I've got to be honest & say that I'm not kidding myself.

I'm absolutely convinced that the new iPhone will blow us and every other smart phone away.

I believe Apple will release a phone that will be the equivalent of the iPhone 4's release in 2010.

I feel that they extended the life of the 6/S shape for an extra year, to ensure that this year's iPhone will totally amaze anyone that gets near it.

I'm ready and my wallet is ready.

I'm sorry if that goes against the doomer's POV that seems prevalent of late round here.

Actually I'm not, it's my opinion & im happy with it.

Roll on September.

3. thekeyring macrumors 68040

Agreed.

I'm not sure why there are so many reports of production issues. Apple broke the pattern of new design > spec bump 's' model with the 7, presumably because it was confident a new design was ready for Sept 2017.

If they hadn't finalised it, why didn't the 7 get a less ambitious redesign which still addressed some of the areas that could be improved? Why didn't they tweak the bezels? Or up the screen res?

4. DCIFRTHS macrumors 6502a

DCIFRTHS

Totally agree with these two points.

5. skitidetdu macrumors 6502

skitidetdu

6. DCIFRTHS macrumors 6502a

DCIFRTHS

No one sees a problem with the flash located behind a pice of glass in between the two lenses? I can't think of any good way to isolate the flash, even if it were entirely enclosed in a tube that touched the back of lens cover. I imagine the light would still make it's way onto the camera lens.

7. Wanted797 macrumors 6502a

Wanted797

8. djcerla macrumors 68000

djcerla

This is a beautiful, no-nonsense device, that will put to shame the fragile, form-over-function design of recent Samsung devices that don't even manage to really get rid of bezels.

9. Joseph Rash macrumors member

Joseph Rash

GOD!!! NOOO

10. Sbu macrumors newbie

Apple won't make a device with thick bazels in 2017 , that I promise you. The display and the bazels will meet beautifully, it will be so smooth you won't tell the difference between them.

11. redbeard331 macrumors 6502a

redbeard331

So you've held the iPhone 8 in your hands?

12. Joseph Rash macrumors member

Joseph Rash

i was curios to know the size of the size bezel on iphone 7 ? can u help ?

13. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

I think it's important remember this is a render and not a final depiction of what the iPhone 8 will look like. (Which it does look nice)

Also, I believe Samsung did a fairly good job with reduction of the bezels on the S8. I don't think it's necessarily about getting "Rid" of the bezels, more so as they did by reducing them, especially when you compare the iPhone's bezels have remained the same for the last three years.

14. TallManNY macrumors 601

TallManNY

I love the camera like that. It might get people to turn their phones to landscape when they shoot video.

15. Wildkraut macrumors 6502a

Wildkraut

Hmmm, I see no benefit of buying a new iPhone, if you already own a 6, 6s or 7. I moved from a 6+ to 7+, and the 7+ didn't wow me at all. Minimal improvements are there, but there is no wow feature at all. I think my next iPhone will be iPhone 9(s) or 10(s), if this one doesn't break. App/Game wise there isn't a big difference, too. New form, material, color, bezel size, charging tech, wlan/cellular speed, cpu speed, ram, display tech, minor battery life improvement won't push me to buy a new iPhone. Camera wise it's stagnating, too.

16. Kajje macrumors 6502a

Kajje

With the vertical alligned camera perhaps people will finally stop posting VVS videos on Youtube.

17. apolloa macrumors G4

I got my digital calpiers out and it's physically impossible to fit a 5.7" screen in the body of my iPhone 6S. Some people are dreamers....

18. where is it macrumors 6502

where is it

Looks awful, no front facing camera. For a rendering, this leaves much to be desired.

19. jonnysods macrumors 603

jonnysods

The camera throws me off. You could attempt that if you put it in the middle of the device.

And please don't put Touch ID on the back of the phone. I use it to open my phone with one finger on my desk, in a car cradle... don't do it.

20. Wildkraut macrumors 6502a

Wildkraut

Yeah, dunno why, but TouchID on the back reminds me of ass wiping.

21. anthorumor macrumors 6502a

It's okay - Apple has been using the 'camera bump' feature since 2014.

22. iphonehype macrumors 6502

Totally agree however. I love my iPhone 7. There was no design change from 6+ to 7. It's questionable I just hope they don't do something stupid.
    --- Post Merged, Apr 17, 2017 ---
    baed on what? There has been clear innovation with 4/5/6 however the 7 in my eyes has been an incremental update (I do love it)

Let's just hope the incremental update on 7 was done because engineers are working on a product like yoy described

23. shaunp macrumors 68000

While all this minimisation is interesting from a conceptual point of view we all know it's going to be flawed at some point because manufacturers will just take it too far all in the name of one-upmanship - mine is thinner than yours, and for no other reason other than I can make it thin. I'd prefer it if Apple released a line of products alongside the consumer-grade fashionable nonsense, with a line of thicker phones that had an excellent battery life and a headphone jack. Sure, keep updating the OS, but keep the hardware functional too. I don't want it to look 'cool', I just want it to work.

24. cardfan macrumors 68000

Looks like any other phone so who really cares? It'll go in a case. What matters is OLED screen.

25. mabaker macrumors 65816

mabaker

Glad to see a balanced opinion that does not wallow in hate as it's 99% the case on here.