New Renderings Show an 'iPhone 8' Design With Full-Front Display and Minimal Bezels All Around

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Apr 16, 2017.

1. geta macrumors 6502a

I will wait till the iPhone SE 'edge to edge screen' version comes out. :rolleyes:

2. zunamo macrumors newbie

First spotted in justin bieber music video 5 years ago

Attached Files:

3. acegreen macrumors regular

acegreen

So according to you, the whole decision for bezel-less screen, edge-to-edge screen hinges on how easily it will be to hit the snooze button? I guess for you, Tesla should design their cars based on how much sleeping room you need and your refrigerator better have night mode, and your toilet should make humming noises so you can continue sleeping while peeing.

I'll inform the whole world that design decision should be based on your sleep schedule.

4. citysnaps macrumors 601

This one makes sense and could be similar to what Apple will release.

Previous mockups with TouchID on the back will never happen. Bezel-less curved edge displays are also a joke. Apple will do neither. Those are the domain of less capable companies more into trivial ornaments and doodads - much like VTEC stickers, large wing spoilers, and sound-of-angry-bees-in-a-can mufflers.

5. bigjnyc macrumors 603

bigjnyc

omg whats up with that thick border around the whole phone, that looks horrific.

6. barkomatic macrumors 601

I think a slim bezel on the top and bottom would be better than a speaker slit in the screen area.

7. ke-iron macrumors 65816

Apple will never ever put the Touch ID on the back side of their iPhone or any product they currently make.

8. shanson27 macrumors 65816

shanson27

The bezels around the display looks damn ugly :(

9. ValO macrumors 68000

Ok, you think so from a drawing.
    But these rumors, could make this possible.
    Look at these renders that have been around for some time now, and then tell which one you like better(except for the cameras on the back it really matches these rumors.
    I know which one i like better.

Attached Files:

10. BCWorld macrumors 6502

BCWorld

Its mind boggling how they are still managing to use the same basic design for this device for nearly 3 years... o_O

11. ValO macrumors 68000

Yes, and the metal frame is included in these measurements. It actually is 2.5 mm.

12. iReality85 macrumors 6502a

Yep. I bought the 7 Plus just for the fact it came with a 1080p screen. But the physical size of the 7 Plus is a tad too large. If they put a 1080p screen in a 7-sized iPhone, I'd downsize.

13. citysnaps macrumors 601

Mind boggling? Genuinely curious... What would you like to see in a phone whose design is not rectangular in shape and with a display on one side?

14. cyberlocke macrumors regular

cyberlocke

Exactly! If you're going to shoot 3D/AR, you'll need to shoot landscape (like every other video camera out there, people!!!), which means you need the cameras separated on the horizontal axis when in that position. Perfect.

By the way: Stop vertical video!!!

15. lazyrighteye macrumors 68000

lazyrighteye

And I thought I liked sleep...

16. ValO macrumors 68000

Why not?
    You have a function area at the bottom of the display, and you have small information display on the top, showing wifi, provider, battery status, etc. The lgv20 or something has a small display on top for notifications, etc and can' t be used by a game or video app, etc. When in portrait mode it can provide the battery status, etc, in landscape it can be all black, you wouldn' t even notice it.

17. rp2011 macrumors 65816

rp2011

ok now, this is a professional drawing, unlike the other one. It would be great if true. I would buy this if real.

18. ValO macrumors 68000

It is impossible if you are talking about a 16:9 display aspect ratio as in the 6s/7, it won' t be if it is a aspect ratio like 19:9 or something. So basically a display that has the same width as the 6s screen, but is taller.

19. Aleh macrumors member

Aleh

Hands down the most beautiful implementation I have seen. If it's possible to make then damn it's perfect. I could see them being able to fit sensors and camera in that super tiny bezel, only difficult thing would be the speaker.

20. Rogifan macrumors Core

Rogifan

What other design do you want them to use? A triangle or circle? Curved edges just for the sake of being different?

21. paul3000 macrumors member

I wish they would make it smaller that the 7. Just remove the bezel, I don't want a bigger screen I want an easier to handle phone. The SE feels too small, 7 seems just a little bit too big. But if you remove the bezel it would be killer.

22. Googlyhead macrumors 6502

Obviously it's a human design flaw that needs correcting, and we will shortly evolve to have vertically aligned eyes.

23. applelover1016 macrumors regular

applelover1016

This 100%. I think the redesign was supposed to be last year but they knew this year was the 10th anniversary and would give them an extra year to figure it all out. My wallet is ready:)

24. ValO macrumors 68000

Yes, i could see that too, but the bezels seem smaller than the 2.5/4mm.

25. iReality85 macrumors 6502a

Vertical videos drive me nuts. Every time I watch one, I feel the need to shout "TURN YOUR PHONE!" :eek: