Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
Not really following you. You're saying if the Smart Connector doesn't happen, then cases will have to offer Lightning pass-through instead of USB to accommodate Lightning audio? If that's what you're saying then you are correct. Apple's current MFi program limits Lightning licensors to only one Lightning connector per device. That's why many of those case makers don't offer Lightning passthrough. Presumably if Apple moves to Lightning audio, they will change the MFi terms to allow more than one Lightning connecter per device.

That is what I'm saying. But what I'm actually wanting to know is if the licensing is such that 2 Lighting connections in one device would have a higher licensing fee than 1? My guess is yes... especially if including a smart connector would give the third parties a cheaper route to keep charging and Lighting-headphone options separate. But I don't actually know- that's just a guess based on speculative thinking about what would maximize licensing revenue for Apple.

It could be that making something interface with smart connector costs MORE than licensing Lighting once or twice for all I know.

T'hain Esh Kelch

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2001
Denmark
I don't understand why people only think that smart connector is for keyboard. Logitech already made a dock for the iPad Pro, showing that it can be used to charge as well.
Exactly. The smart connector would allow Apple to switch to USB-C and make the EU happy, consumers happy, and still have a proprietary connector for peripherals.

Reactions: Soccertess

rp2011

macrumors 68020
Oct 12, 2010
I would imagine since it's basically a one off, that it wouldn't make much sense to add it this year. Makes more sense to add to next years redesign.

Reactions: dampfnudel

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
Keyboard would be the least of it. Top 3 uses of it would be:

Charging through a magnetic inductive charger.
Charging a battery pack, much slimmer and ergonomic without having to attached to the Lightning port.
Passing digital audio into a case with a built-in 3.5mm jack.

Yes, inductive charging is high on my list too.

emm386

macrumors 6502
Feb 5, 2016
who needs a "smart" connector - yet another proprietary Apple plug - anyways, when there are (soon to be) widely used standards like USB-C?

wait... they are not gonna used that? oh well...

Reactions: goft20

WestonHarvey1

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2007
It would be nice to be able to charge with it. What's about to take down my iPhone 5s is the same thing that took down my iPhone 4 - dock connector/Lightning connector failure.

garirry

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2013
Canada is my city
1) Why is Lightning not a good solution?
2) Why do you think they won't or can't make BT easier to set up?
3) Why couldn't they introduce an even better wireless standard, backward compatible with BT?
4) Why do you need a universal connector now, when it will be years before every device would be compatible with one?
1) Because it is not universal. Headphones will have to be Apple-only. I don't want that.
2) Because it has been a thing for a while now, and if they wanted bluetooth-only audio, they would have fixed it by now.
3) Because they don't want to invest money into this. They have no real reason to.
4) Because that won't happen. I can feel it, it's going to be a monopoly contest. Everyone is just going to make their own **** and no compatibility will ever happen. There needs to be a standard NOW in order to work.

Reactions: navier

Mac 128

macrumors 603
Apr 16, 2015
Exactly. The smart connector would allow Apple to switch to USB-C and make the EU happy, consumers happy, and still have a proprietary connector for peripherals.

Apple won't change from Lightning. They're already meeting EU rules with a Lightning to USB adapter in the box. I don't see the change to USB-C being any different.

iMcLovin

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2009
I personally don't care much about the smart connector tbh. But if all or some of the rumors we are reading actually are true I don't see why Apple waste money developing it and not just save their time and keep selling the 6s until they have the next amazing phone ready. Nothing, and I mean NOTHING of what I've read so far gives me any itch to buy this thing. I consider myself a more than normally eager apple buyer. But this year there hasn't been anything released that's gotten me remotely interested in spending any money on Apple. I have money ready but there's simply nothing new in apples arsenal I want... It doesn't seem to be anything on the horizon either :(

So when I feel this way, despite being so easy to lure into upgrading my apple gadgets, no wonder apple is making less money right now.

Last edited:

Col4bin

macrumors 68000
Oct 2, 2011
El Segundo
I guess a Smart Connector would have eaten too much into the device's profit margin? Apple was probably considering a cost increase but after the declining sales figures... Doesn't seem that the iPhone 7 will be significantly different than the 6S. o_O

Last edited:

brianvictor7

macrumors 65816
Oct 24, 2013
United States
No, this is something I wanted oh so badly!!
Now it's like there is no more point to upgrade to iPhone 7 anymore.
*extreme sad face* :(
Sarcasm?
[doublepost=1462563622][/doublepost]
I personally don't care much about the smart connector tbh. But if all or some of the rumors we are reading actually are true I don't see why Apple waste money developing it and not just save their time and keep selling the 6s until they have the next amazing phone ready. Nothing, and I mean NOTHING of what I've read so far gives me any itch to buy this thing. I consider myself a more than normally eager apple buyer. But this year there hasn't been anything released that's gotten me remotely interested in buying anything. I have money ready but there's simply nothing new in apples arsenal I want... It it doesn't seem to be anything on the horizon either :(
Same boat here. I currently plan to hold onto my iPhone 5S till 2017.

nullzero

macrumors newbie
May 22, 2013
The iPhone 7 is going to have a Windows Continuum / Ubuntu Edge like feature. This is the big thing Tim spoke about.
Like this: dock the iPhone to a desktop unit and you have fully fledged computer. The desktop unit connects to a keyboard, a mouse and a screen. The operating system is macOS 11, coming next month on WWDC.
When you undock the iPhone and leave, you are back in "mobile view" and use it like a regular iPhone with iOS.

It's unclear yet whether they need the Smart Connector, possibly docking can happen through Lightning port as well.

Last edited:

djbuddha

macrumors 6502
Aug 7, 2011
Maybe Apple is creating new rumors to counter other rumors lol. Seriously, this first leaked pic with the smart connector and lack of 3.5mm jack (you can't see that in the picture anyway) is most likely the next phone. It's funny how suddenly all these new counter rumors are surfacing denying what we've been hearing consistently. Smells like Apple paying for their brand of rumors to counter the existing rumors.

Remember when Michael Jackson had that documentary filmed and then it aired and he was misrepresented? Then Mike came back with the documentary filming the people who were filming him....??? Well it's kinda like that lol. :p

Mac 128

macrumors 603
Apr 16, 2015
1) Because it is not universal. Headphones will have to be Apple-only. I don't want that.
2) Because it has been a thing for a while now, and if they wanted bluetooth-only audio, they would have fixed it by now.
3) Because they don't want to invest money into this. They have no real reason to.
4) Because that won't happen. I can feel it, it's going to be a monopoly contest. Everyone is just going to make their own **** and no compatibility will ever happen. There needs to be a standard NOW in order to work.

1) Of course they won't. Headphones will likely become standardized with digital and analogue outputs, possibly with a common port that allows the customer to use whatever cable they want to connect to whatever device they want. But you will have to buy an Apple compatible cable, or another device compatible cable.
2) Just because something's been around for a while doesn't mean they're going to fix something to Apple's satisfaction. Apple built its reputation on improving technical problems consumers faced -- computers, mp3 players, smart phones, tablets, watches, and now audio ... Add to that there's not enough demand for it presently to drive competition, innovation, improvement and price reduction. That will change when the 3.5mm jack goes away.
3) Apple doesn't have a reason to invest money into wireless audio!? They're getting rid of the headphone jack, why wouldn't they have a vested interest? Moreover, they already have -- AirPlay.
4) Of course it's going to happen. Intel is pushing USB-C audio, but it will take years for every audio device on the planet to get replaced with a USB-C compatible device (which is the closest thing to a standard you're going to get assuming it doesn't change again in 5 years time), during which, everyone will need an adapter for almost everything. By that time, wireless, which is the undisputed future of audio will have progressed to a point where no one will want to plug in a wire again.

Sorry, but you're assuming that technology will always be the way it is today, for you right now, and arguing from that point. Apple has routinely shown that they have the ability to overcome these issues with innovative technological solutions, that were not already addressing potential improvements. I see no reason for that to change today. Ultimately Apple is not going to risk the future of their company on dropping a universal standard without an excellent plan to compensate for it.

rp2011

macrumors 68020
Oct 12, 2010
..as long as the iPhone 7 is at least 50% more absorbent, I'm cool with whatever it looks like. The iPhone 6 can't soak up hardly any spills.

guychicago

macrumors 6502
Jan 25, 2010
Chicago
It could be Apple's way of increasing profit margins by adding an iPhone Pro to the product lineup and charging us $100 more.

Glideslope

macrumors 604
Dec 7, 2007
The Adirondacks.
so... what's this iphone to have that previous iphones don't? that dual camera is still rumored for only the larger + model correct?

Other than the A10, IMO, the display will be the biggest bump. Pretty certain it will have the same TFT Display as the iPad Pro. Antenna changes, and most likely a Dual Lens Camera system on the + only. Plus no more Headphone Jack.

Just speculation. :apple:

Reactions: djbuddha
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.