Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

El3ctronics

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 30, 2011
NYC
The speed of the new Touch ID is truly incredible. If I do a quick click on the home button the phone unlocked instantly every time. No more leaving my finger there for a second or two. One downside is it's not impossible to click the home button quickly just to turn the screen on and see your notifications. Guess I'll need to start using the power button to do that.

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
I cannot believe how fast Touch ID is. It's so fast that having a live photo as a lock screen is useless because you literally can't click the home button and then only go to lock screen, it unlocks instantously. I usually only click the home button to check my lock screen, guess I will have to use the lock button from now on.

EJ8

Suspended
Oct 13, 2010
Was going to post the same thing. At first it was unlocking and opening so fast that I thought my lock code was turned off. The screen was opening the instant I touched the home button.

EJ8

Suspended
Oct 13, 2010
One downside is it's not impossible to click the home button quickly just to turn the screen on and see your notifications. Guess I'll need to start using the power button to do that.

You can do it. You either have to deliberately pull your finger away fast or use an odd part of your finger like up by the nail. Or perhaps you leave one finger out of Touch ID and use it solely to check notifications. It's would be your Notification finger. :rolleyes:

Surf Monkey

macrumors 603
Oct 3, 2010
Portland, OR
chris-traeger-literally.jpg

This is literally... the funniest thing I've seen all day.

Knowlege Bomb

macrumors G4
Feb 14, 2008
US
I'm hoping for some implementation of force touch on the screen to wake the device for notification checking. I doubt it'll happen as the power button is sufficient but t'would be nice.

Reactions: Statusnone88

jaw3net

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
I think it will happen soon. This year's 6S/6S+ 3D touch is the "beta test" for apple to move to a home button-less iPhone in the near future. If not for the 2016 model, definitely for the 2017 model.

I look forward to that. Would be nice to have a smooth piece of glass all the way across. We will see what happens.

oldwren

macrumors 6502
Jan 3, 2012
I think it will happen soon. This year's 6S/6S+ 3D touch is the "beta test" for apple to move to a home button-less iPhone in the near future. If not for the 2016 model, definitely for the 2017 model.

Only if they abandon the S cycle, which, with all the new upgrade plans, is quite possible. Otherwise, I'd say 2016 or 2018.

leegibbo

macrumors member
Sep 29, 2014
Too quick! I normally press the home button quickly to check the time, and i keep unlocking the phone!Grrr. Remember to use unregistered finger! Lol

Polaroid

macrumors 65816
Oct 1, 2013
Just press the SLEEP/WAKE button lol... (I know its more awkward but that is the point of a SLEEP/WAKE button)

Reactions: Dopestar

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Just press the SLEEP/WAKE button lol... (I know its more awkward but that is the point of a SLEEP/WAKE button)
It's definitely an option, just often not as condiment especially with one hand when the phone is lying down for example.

jwflutterby

macrumors regular
Jul 9, 2008
Oh no I can't use my brand new phone *exactly* the same way I used my old one ;) j/k I'm having the same problem, just need to retrain myself to use the power button...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.