Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

yaxomoxay

macrumors 604
Mar 3, 2010
Texas
wonder how much this will affect apple/samsung sales?

Time to go back to the good ol days

WallStreet_103Pyxurz.jpg

[doublepost=1488905987][/doublepost]
Will America ever have another version of the Church commission? These intelligence agencies are entirely out of control.

For real. I wonder if even Clinton/Bush/Obama/Trump knows what's going on...

thisisnotmyname

macrumors 68020
Oct 22, 2014
known but velocity indeterminate
This is news? lol.

The government has ALWAYS tried to spy on its citizens, legally or illegally. People are just too naive and oblivious to believe such facts.

Problem with the truth, no one usually believes it and it usually hurts.

To be fair, there's nothing here that says they deployed these techniques on US citizens. CIA's mission is foreign intelligence not domestic. That said I'm not naive, I just wouldn't make the jump from this article to that statement.

ugahairydawgs

macrumors 68030
Jun 10, 2010
wonder how much this will affect apple/samsung sales?

Nil.

The exploits are all at the platform level. Unless you're going to invest in soup cans and string, you don't have many options outside of the reach of someone looking for a software vulnerability.

JosephAW

macrumors 603
May 14, 2012
Good thing there is more people helping Apple to close iOS security holes than those who are trying to exploit iOS.:)

JeffyTheQuik

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2014
Charleston, SC and Everett, WA
The number one lie people tell themselves is that "The Government can't/won't do that!"

The number two lie people tell themselves is "Well, I'm not doing anything wrong, so why does it matter?"

The truth is that an innocent person cannot be manipulated, as they have nothing to hold over them. Sooner, or later, something valuable will be found by those that want to manipulate you, and will, at their leisure, use that to bend your will.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
For real. I wonder if even Clinton/Bush/Obama/Trump knows what's going on...
If you read "The Devil's Chessboard" you'd know that there has never been a single US president that was in control of the CIA (in particular). In fact, the one guy that wanted to dismantle the agency ended up dead....

Truman released a thinly veiled warning about the CIA in the The Washington Post immediately after JFK's assassination:

http://www.maebrussell.com/Prouty/Harry Truman's CIA article.html

Oh, and the guy that JFK kicked out of the head of the CIA (the man that literally set it up from the forerunner OSS, Allen Dulles) was put at the head of the investigation into his murder...funny, that.

Last edited:

jlc1978

macrumors 603
Aug 14, 2009
Governments spying? That's old news, it's the oldest profession starting with God spying on Adam and Eve in the Garden of Eden...

Several comments:
1. I would suspect the CIA to develop such tools; it's part of developing tradecraft that keeps up with technology. No surprise there.

2. Depending on what was leaked those looking to hack for profit just received free how-to guides to vulnerabilities they may not have realized exist. Even if the details of how to exploit them are not available knowing where to look can save a lot of time as well as identify ones not previously thought to exist.

3. How they were used is key. If it was directed against foreign agents and suspected agents then it is part of the CIA's job. Domestic surveillance is the FBI's job with the associated warrants, etc.

4. The comment "The Vulnerabilities Equities Process underlined this agreement in 2010, and the U.S. government said it would reveal any vulnerabilities discovered to the company in question." appears to misstate the VEP requirements. Per the EFF, the VEP is a policy [the government] uses to decide whether to disclose information about security vulnerabilities or instead withhold this information for its own purposes, including law enforcement, intelligence collection, and "offensive" exploitation; so the VEP has no blanket requirement to disclose any vulnerability, it is merely a way to decide if it should be disclosed.

Reactions: kkamann

VulchR

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2009
Scotland
These should not have been leaked, and the person or people who leaked these exploits should be locked away for a long time. I don't like the surveillance state, but at least we have some control over it through democratic legislation. However, release these tools into the wild and all sorts of criminal gangs and hostile nations can use them against the US. Snowden leaked information, the clown(s) that leaked these tools leaked ammunition.

Reactions: pike908

vrDrew

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2010
Midlife, Midwest
Why is this news? Why is this supposed to be alarming?

I mean, for literally as long as there has been human society, governing forces have had the ability to come along and seize an individual's property, to imprison and even kill them, all without much recourse.

Is it really such a terrible revelation, or development, that our nation's Intelligence Community has developed methods to exploit mobile phones and other electronic devices as a means of espionage?

I'm pretty certain that, even if they had the legal means to do so (which they don't) the NSA has pretty much zero interest in hacking into your Samsung TV to listen to you burping and farting on the couch as you snooze through an episode of Modern Family or Game of Thrones.

We spend tens, probably hundreds of billions of dollars a year on our intelligence community. It appears they are using some of that money to develop tools that will let them keep track on the sort of Russian spies and terrorists who really pose a risk to us all.

Good for the NSA.

You are the One

macrumors 6502a
Dec 25, 2014
In the present
These should not have been leaked, and the person or people who leaked these exploits should be locked away for a long time. I don't like the surveillance state, but at least we have some control over it through democratic legislation. However, release these tools into the wild and all sorts of criminal gangs and hostile nations can use them against the US. Snowden leaked information, the clown(s) that leaked these tools leaked ammunition.

CIA lost control over the material and it was proliferated amongst unauthorised persons outside the agency, one of whom blew the whistle.

CIA should be shut down. It's run by special interest groups outside the US Government control, specifically extremist zionist interest groups. CIA is not acting in the interest of the U.S. of A.

Close it down and rebuild something good you have control over.

Popeye206

macrumors 68040
Sep 6, 2007
NE PA USA
I find Wikileaks timing of this all too convenient. They've released this to take the heat off of the Russian investigations.

Its just a another diversion for Trump.

And are you not so sure the "Russian" issue is not a diversion from the Dems to cover their tracks? Keep in mind, none of the reports of Trump, or Trump people colluding with Russia have been verifiable or confirmed. In fact, most have been debunked along the way as being total BS or business as usual meetings.

As for me, I'm keeping an open mind in both directions... what if Trump is right? If he is, then it's biggest corruption exposure ever of our current government. If the Dems are right, then the same holds true in the other direction.

jkcerda

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2013
Criminal Mexi Midget
<snip>

We spend tens, probably hundreds of billions of dollars a year on our intelligence community. It appears they are using some of that money to develop tools that will let them keep track on the sort of Russian spies and terrorists who really pose a risk to us all.

Good for the NSA.
nationalism is dangerous... we are supposed to abide by the constitution.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
what are the implications of referencing jailbreak stuff? they use that to get into older iOS versions?

also, cant wait to see what spin Timmy puts on this one. Apple is vulnerable to 0day just like any other platform or software made by man/machine/corp

Reactions: centauratlas

theBostonian

Suspended
Apr 15, 2012
Fortunately, it seems most of the exploits and kernel hacks are on the Android side rather than iOS. I also saw a message where someone lamented how java attacks no longer worked in El Capitan. At least Apple makes more of an effort than Microsoft or Android.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.