Newer version VLC?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by MacSoftware3, Mar 14, 2018.

1. MacSoftware3 macrumors member

MacSoftware3

Hi everyone,

I was wondering if it isn't possible to compile a newer version of VLC (with support for playing YouTube) on an older version of Mac OS X (10.4.11+). If that's possible, how can someone start with doing that? I was wondering this because we also have TenFourFox running on 10.4.11, which is based on a newer version of Firefox.

2. MacSoftware3 thread starter macrumors member

MacSoftware3

3. Hrududu macrumors 68020

Hrududu

Hard to say exactly what VLC would need to be updated for PowerPC and Tiger, but it has been 4 years since the final PowerPC version was released for Leopard, and 9 since the last Tiger version. Safe to bet there was a good reason development ended (could just be demand, but could be more architecture) so it would take someone with greater programming knowledge than I to see how much further VLC could be pushed.

4. MysticCow macrumors 6502a

They release their source code, so there is a BIGGER reason why we're stuck with an old version...because that dog won't hunt.

5. wicknix macrumors 6502

wicknix

VLC is in macports, however it hasn't been patched for ppc, or just flat out isn't supported on ppc anymore.

Matt$ sudo port -v install vlc
    Password:
    Error: VLC cannot be installed for the configured build_arch 'ppc' because it only supports the arch(s) 'x86_64'.
    To report a bug, follow the instructions in the guide:
    http://guide.macports.org/#project.tickets
    Error: Processing of port vlc failed

Cheers