Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
Um last i check netflix Hulu stream in 720P and 90 percent of the tv stations stream in it as well so your basicly saying that most of HD providers have blown it.. come back and try again.
In USA, the channels are far from 90% 720p. Many are 1080i. I don't have the stats right here, but I believe it is something like 60% 1080i, 40% 720p. Of the 4 major broadcast networks, it is 2 and 2. And the providers are beginning to stream on demand shows in 1080p.

Actually it depends on how far you are seated from your HDTV. Can you tell the difference between 720p and 1080p on a 52" TV from 20 feet away?
Why on earth would you sit there? Why not just say 200 feet through 6 walls if you are going to ask ridiculous questions.

MarkNY

macrumors regular
Jun 21, 2010
I'd imagine the interface will be in 1080p, just that it will be unable to decode 1080p h.264 content, which who really cares, honestly. 720p is fine unless sit VERY close to your TV or have a projector. $99, wireless-n, and streams movies to your TV. I have no need for it, but some will. The question is whether developers can create apps that people want to use on their TV. If so, it'll be a huge hit. If not, a modest hit.

sishaw

macrumors 65816
Jan 12, 2005
If you can't do 1080p in 2010, you blew it.

It certainly doesn't give current ATV owners a reason to upgrade. I actually find it kind of hard to believe that Apple wouldn't go up to 1080p in a next-generation product.

Rocketman

macrumors 603
A couple of things. If "iTV" in phone form factor only does 720p, that would be a version of "crippleware" in today's world, but so is total portability and $99.

If Apple keeps AppleTV (iTV Premium) in the Mac-Mini and Airport Extreme form factor, that could have the AMD chip and full 1080p and even 3D HD (dual frame HD) for the current AppleTV price point and form factor or even a tad higher.

The chip probabilities are A5 not A4 (multi-core and 512mb+ memory) thus making even HD in an iPhone form factor "possible" with a source file locally stored.

Streaming 720p in H.264 can work but unless you store-forward about 5 minutes of it, it always gets choppy at some point and if you have any bandwidth or radio interference problems at all the outcome is "not worth it".

There are plenty of markets where good ole DVD's and Blu-Ray (BOH) are a better experience. Apple should focus on making streaming with store forward and local storage of the "next item to be viewed" so their small, application specific devices, also do not suck merely because of access problems.

Thanks for listening.

The day the keynote replay stream plays smoothly (Apple's total control), I may reconsider. I am not holding my breath.

Streaming (BOH).

Rocketman

TwoBytes

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2008
1080p not worth it? Consider this...

If you can't do 1080p in 2010, you blew it.

You know, i thought this comment was bang on but then i thought, well if DVD's playback 720p and there isn't a single Apple device with blue-ray, why bother going to 1080p? It's a 'waste' (in Apple's eyes) since they don't ship a blueray player and those who have bought an external one are so few.

Now consider the use of 1080p

What do you all think about this?

todavidjensen

macrumors newbie
Apr 25, 2008
Dont hold it wrong!

The design is too close to an iPhone 4. Does this mean that if I don't hold it right it will get bad reception?!! No 1080p is a waste at this point. Apple needs to do it right or not do it at all. They are known for being leaders so even if the rest of the industry isnt totally using 1080p content they should lead the pack. Plus if it interfaces from devices like macbooks having 1080p will matter. i film all my home movies in 1080p at 60fps. It had better be able to at least accommodate my camcorder without downscaling stuff.

Porco

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2005
Just remind me someone, how long is it that Apple has been serving 1080p movie trailers on its own website?

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
You know, i thought this comment was bang on but then i thought, well if DVD's playback 720p and there isn't a single Apple device with blue-ray, why bother going to 1080p? It's a 'waste' (in Apple's eyes) since they don't ship a blueray player and those who have bought an external one are so few.

Now consider the use of 1080p

What do you all think about this?

DVDs are 480i.

Oh, and if I could sell a $.10 app that ran on the PS3, and all owners bought it, I'd retire tomorrow. And that's just the PS3. I think there are plenty sold.

MrMichaelJames

macrumors member
Jul 16, 2010
The problem with it not doing 1080p is just like when devices started coming out with gigabit ethernet. The cost difference of a chip that did 10/100 or gigabit was so small it was a no brainer to just put gigabit in the thing and be done with it, but so many didn't and waited for the next version. Same thing here. If a streaming device coming out (notice its not even out yet) in the future doesn't support 1080p then it has made itself obsolete from the beginning. There are already chipsets out there that can do all this and more for super cheap they just don't have very good interfaces on them, so there is no reason that their A4 chip doesn't have the horsepower.

Dr Kevorkian94

macrumors 68020
Jun 9, 2009
SI, NY
Well we will see if this is true when we see if the mid august event is true lol.

But I can't believe no 1080p, I think apple could ramp it up if they wanted but we will have to see. Like Said before not everything is in 1080p so they might of thought it might not been needed. But I really would like to see what they do with it by now there are many possibilities. :D

Tilpots

macrumors 601
Apr 19, 2006
Carolina Beach, NC
So glad I stopped waiting for Apple to get their collective TV hats on. Bought a Mac Mini for HTPC use and love it. Whatever that thing is, it's not a cable replacement if it can't record 1080i from QAM or OTA.

scott911

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2009
This would be a disappointment. I'd like all the nuts who think 1080 doesn't natter to go count the number of 2010 model televisions in sizes 42 & 47 " and above that arn't 1080 capable. Or new cars with drum breaks...

Also, don't see the point of it being so small...

ChrisGonzales90

macrumors 6502a
May 29, 2010
Hillsboro, Oregon USA.
Some are saying there is no diference between 720p and 1080p. do you even own a 1080p TV? If not then you really shouldn't be talking.

Hell my laptop is 1080p! 1920x1080. Plus Apples imac 21" is 1080p.

skeep5

macrumors 6502a
Mar 16, 2006
AZ
i've been waiting for a better apple tv but i just don't think its going to happen

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
Well, apart from the obvious that it would NEVER be called iTV in the UK due to ITV already existing and having broadcast television in the UK happily since 1955!!! This device just sounds crap, it can't compete with Virgin or Sky, will have limited and expensive choice, most people with some knowledge will just buy a Mac Mini and install media software.

Eminemdrdre00

macrumors 6502a
May 10, 2008
Um last i check netflix Hulu stream in 720P and 90 percent of the tv stations stream in it as well so your basicly saying that most of HD providers have blown it.. come back and try again.

Best reply to his quote, took all the words out of my head and mouth! Guess 90% of HD content providers fails.....

I'm talking hardware here...the iTV will be a 2010/2011 hardware device that won't output 1080p. They blew it.

Zunjine

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2009
Apple will do anything to expand the App Store. They are making too much money out of it.

I'll admit I don't have any official numbers for this but I'm pretty sure Apple doesn't make much money from iTunes or the App Store. The value to Apple is that these services add value to their hardware offerings which account for the vast majority of their revenue.

Everyone is doing apps for TVs now. I suppose we'll start calling them Smart TVs pretty soon. I suspect you'll control this device through your iPad, iPhone or iPod touch or, as a last resort, via a desktop widget on your computer. I'd love to see a Wii remote type interface for this. Actually - that would be doable with the iPhone 4. The gyroscope could make it in to a pointer device.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.