Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

114758-ipad_1mp_camera_500.jpg

9 to 5 Mac reports that it has discovered evidence within the latest iOS SDK revealing that the next-generation iPad will in fact offer both front- and rear-facing cameras. Unfortunately for camera fans, however, the rear-facing camera's resolution will apparently check in at only about 1-megapixel, significantly lower than the iPhone 4's 5-megapixel camera and more in line with the camera found on the iPod touch. The iPad's front-facing camera will apparently be of the lower VGA resolution found on Apple's other iOS devices offering FaceTime capabilities.

Many observers had expected that the second-generation iPad would offer a rear-facing camera with a resolution higher than that found in the iPod touch, with one analyst claiming last October that OmniVision Technologies had been awarded a contract to supply 5-megapixel image sensors for a rear-facing camera in the iPad.

114758-ipad_proximity_sensor_500.jpg

On a somewhat related note, Brazilian site Blog do iPhone earlier this week reported (via MacStories) that evidence has also surfaced indicating that the next-generation iPad may offer a proximity sensor that would enable the iPad to sense when the cover on a case has been opened or closed and correspondingly automatically lock or unlock the device.

Article Link: Next-Generation iPad With 1-Megapixel Rear Camera and Case Cover Proximity Sensor?

brock2621

macrumors 65816
Jun 8, 2007
Kentucky
Cool!

1mp kinna sucks but to be honest, although it would be slightly embarrassing to hold up my giant ipad to snap a group picture out in public... I would look over and see everybody else holding up their iPhones and them looking at me like "Really......?"

Last edited:
Comment

DrJohnnyN

Suspended
Jan 27, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Sweet!

On a somewhat related note, Brazilian site Blog do iPhone earlier this week reported (via MacStories) that evidence has also surfaced indicating that the next-generation iPad may offer a proximity sensor that would enable the iPad to sense when the cover on a case has been opened or closed and correspondingly automatically lock or unlock the device.

Comment

LaughingAtYou

macrumors newbie
Jan 15, 2011
Makes sense. Cutting cost in useless parts such as a rear facing camera makes the "retina" display seem more realistic.

Comment

TimUSCA

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2006
Aiken, SC
1MP? At that quality, I'd rather them scrap the rear camera and put more money into a better Facetime camera.

Comment

ScaryRobot

macrumors member
Jan 24, 2010
Isn't the main reason there's only a 1 MP camera on the iPod Touch that the 5 MP part (and the necessary optics) are too deep to fit into the Touch, which is a lot thinner than the iPhone? If that's the case, then using a 1 MP part in the iPad might imply that iPad 2 is freakishly thin.

Well, we'll see.

Comment

nfl46

macrumors 604
Oct 5, 2008
Here goes Apple again doing that low MP thing...1MP should have just been on the first iPad. Come on, Apple!

Comment

Dwalls90

Contributor
Feb 5, 2009
Nah, I'd say this is the Facetime one and Apple is messing with us with the file names. Where are the references to the FRONT facing camera? Oh wait, there aren't any ... You think Apple would put a REAR facing camera and not a FRONT too? That's just crazy, because you can't Facetime with that, and everyone is positive that there will be Facetime on iPad 2

So it will have a 1MP Front facing Facetime camera, and no rear, IMO.

Comment

Higgs1

macrumors 6502
Jun 6, 2009
New York City
The camera is a bit meh, but I'm kinda digging the proximity sensor for a case to have the ipad lock/unlock automatically. I'm liking this if it truly unlocks the ipad to the home screen, that would save some time and effort for us lazy folks

Comment

mlmathews

macrumors member
Jun 23, 2009
Can tell me what a rear facing camera on a iPad would be good for? It's going to be really annoying if the next iPad has useless things like a rear camera, but not have a better screen.

Comment

Lostanddamned

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2009
London, UK
As the rear camera is likely only be used on occasion for Facetime, this isn't as unreasonable as it may seem.

The case proximity sensor is a very interesting idea; it would suggest that Apple are encouraging people to use a folder style case with the iPad; as opposed to the slip case style that many prefer.

Comment

srobert

macrumors 68020
Jan 7, 2002
I don't think this rear camera has been added to take pictures. It's probably there so the iPad can run augmented reality apps and apps that use the camera to scan barcodes and such.

Edit : That being said, at a rumored 2048x1536 resolution, the iPad could have benefited from a ≈3.15 megapixel rear facing camera for sharper graphics.

Last edited:
Comment

anubis

macrumors 6502a
Feb 7, 2003
Cool!

1mp kinna sucks but to be honest, it would be slightly embarrassing to hold up my giant ipad to snap a group picture out in public... I would look over and see everybody else holding up their iPhones and them looking at me like "Really......?"

This.

What are you going to actually use the rear iPad camera for?

Are you really going to walk around with an iPad using it like a camera?

For quick snaps, it will be fine. 99% of people don't even know why they need more MP, other than the herd mentality that "more is better"

Comment

Mjmar

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2008
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Haha to those of you that are waiting for the next gen iPad... So far it's gonna have the same display resolution and a 1 megapixel camera :p

Comment

handsome pete

macrumors 68000
Aug 15, 2008
Can tell me what a rear facing camera on a iPad would be good for? It's going to be really annoying if the next iPad has useless things like a rear camera, but not have a better screen.

Think of the camera for more business purposes (scanning documents, bar codes, QR codes, etc.) rather than a photography camera.

Comment

Iphtashu Fitz

macrumors regular
May 5, 2008
outside Boston
As the rear camera is likely only be used on occasion for Facetime, this isn't as unreasonable as it may seem.

What about apps like Word Lens or all the various apps that read/scan barcodes, QR codes, etc? They all need decent quality resolution to work properly, and they'd be a real PITA to use with the front facing camera.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.