Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Next iPhone to Record 1280x720 HD Video?

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

One of the many new features provided to developers in iPhone OS 4 are new APIs that give developers full access to Video capture data. This could open the door to some interesting apps including Video Capture/Editing and more robust Augmented Reality apps when iPhone OS 4 finally becomes available to the public.

The iPhone 4 Beta SDK, however, also reveals the ability to capture video at higher resolutions than the current standard 640x480 ("VGA") resolution. These preset values suggest that a future iPhone will be able to capture at 720p (1280x720) resolution:
AVCaptureSessionPreset640x480
AVCaptureSessionPreset1280x720
The next iPhone has been pegged to use a 5 Megapixel camera, though the video capabilities of the hardware are unknown. The next iPhone revision has been rumored to be dubbed the "iPhone HD" which would fit well with this new 720p video recording capability.

Apple is expected to introduce the new iPhone at the Worldwide Developer's Conference which takes place between June 7-11th in San Francisco, CA.

Article Link: Next iPhone to Record 1280x720 HD Video?

benlee

macrumors 65816
Mar 4, 2007
iPhone 4.0 and the rumors of the new hardware are shaping up to be in line with Jobs' A+ update comment.

Comment

rtabdo

macrumors 6502
Jan 26, 2010
That would be great. I don't do much video but I'd love to see that. I love shooting with my DSLR but I dont like carrying it around so much. I have a 3G so a 5MP camera will be a great carry around camera.

Comment

iStudentUK

macrumors 65816
Mar 8, 2009
London
Hmm... a 720p camera seems far to 'current' for the iPhone. Normally they have cutting edge software but outdated hardware. Maybe this is BS or maybe Apple are upping their game now they have some real iPhone competitors out there.

Comment

Data

macrumors 6502
Dec 20, 2006
That would be great, only thing i need with that is the ability to manipulate the sound input of the mic, for when in very loud places like a club or something, so that the sound is not totally distorted so that the video is basicly worthless.

Hope they fix that too ;-).

Comment

nickXedge

macrumors 6502
Feb 13, 2008
Long Island
Pretty much upgrading my 3G when this comes out no matter what, but this certainly adds to the excitement. I never really felt video recording was necessary on an iPhone but as of late, I find myself "needing" it in more and more situations.

But please don't name it iPhone HD. Ugh, what a terrible name, sounds like a Zune. I much prefer iPhone 4.

Comment

PeterQVenkman

macrumors 68020
Mar 4, 2005
Ahh, apple. iPhone HD. Now give us a simple way to plug this into our HD televisions.

HDMI adapter, please.

Comment

GFLPraxis

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
Interestingly, 720p video recording is one of the key features of Microsoft's Kin 2.

Unfortunately, judging from the reviews, almost everything else about the phone sucks.

Comment

NorrisKillsKids

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2008
Interestingly, 720p video recording is one of the key features of Microsoft's Kin 2.

Unfortunately, judging from the reviews, almost everything else about the phone sucks.

Did you see the engadget review? The camera quality sucks too.

Comment

Digital Skunk

macrumors 604
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
Wonder what the frame rate will be at 720p...?

The 4G will be my first iPhone.

I wonder the frame rate as well. This update looks to be the first real update since the iPhone 3G.

I hope Apple or some rumor site gives us a name for this new phone, since 4G implies it will be using AT&Ts non-existent 4G network. That's not going to even start going up until 2011.

Comment

MikhailT

macrumors 601
Nov 12, 2007
I wonder the frame rate as well. This update looks to be the first real update since the iPhone 3G.

I hope Apple or some rumor site gives us a name for this new phone, since 4G implies it will be using AT&Ts non-existent 4G network. That's not going to even start going up until 2011.

4G as in fourth generation since that's all we know about it. That's an accurate temporary name for it.

1st generation iPhone was the iPhone (it wasn't called 2G)
2nd generation was iPhone 3G
3rd generation was iPhone 3GS
4th generation is temporarily "4G"

Apple has to change it to something else. Referring it to network generation (2G:Edge, 3G:3G) is stupid because we aren't upgrading the network every year and if Apple intends to refresh iPhone every year, they need to break off from that. Using generations makes more sense.

Comment

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001

I think iPhone HD makes sense and seems like something Apple would do.

arn

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.