Nike Debuts $350 iPhone-Controlled Self-Adjusting Basketball Shoes

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jan 15, 2019.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Nike today introduced new iPhone-controlled self-adjusting basketball shoes based on its latest FitAdapt technology.

[​IMG]

The new Nike Adapt BB shoes feature an advanced power-lacing system with a custom motor that senses the tension needed by the foot and adjusts accordingly to ensure a snug fit. Using buttons on the shoe or the Nike Adapt app for smartphones, basketball players can adjust the fit on the fly during a game.

For example, during a timeout, a player can loosen the shoe before tightening it up as they re-enter the game. In a forthcoming feature, Nike says players will also be able to prescribe a different tightness setting for warm-ups.

The shoes are equipped with a 505 mAh battery that can last between 10 and 20 days and charge wirelessly on Nike's shoe-sized Qi-compatible mat in three hours.

[​IMG]

Nike says its new Adapt BB shoes are an evolution of its HyperAdapt 1.0 shoes from 2016, the athletic wear company's first multipurpose performance shoe to feature power lacing. The Adapt BB shoes will also be Nike's first continually updated performance product, as they will receive opt-in firmware updates.

The shoes are priced at $350 in the United States and will begin shipping on February 16, according to Nike's online store.

Article Link: Nike Debuts $350 iPhone-Controlled Self-Adjusting Basketball Shoes

2. Chrjy macrumors 6502a

Chrjy

A solution to a problem that doesn't exist!
    This is tech for the sake of tech in my opinion.

"I'll meet you there, I need to charge my shoes first"

3. Poncho macrumors 6502

Poncho

I just logged in to type the very same words. But without the exclamation mark!

4. MacSince1985 macrumors 6502

The first thing I thought of is a fan hacking into the shoes of the opposite team to loosen them at a crucial point in the game. ;-)

5. wilhelmer macrumors member

6. nazaar macrumors 6502a

nazaar

I can see it now:
    Help! My self lacing sneakers are pulled too tightly, it's cutting off circulation to my foot. My iPhone has lost its charge.

7. Enclavean macrumors regular

Enclavean

Whats the next item I will have to charge? My underwear?

8. sunapple macrumors 68000

sunapple

Just awesome to see what tech can do these days. Any remarks on pricing, or potential problems are irrelevant for these types of products; it's purely Nike showing off what they can do. And you can buy it too!

9. repoman016 macrumors member

repoman016

They come pre charged from the factory. Fart wherever you please with the quiet fan that will spit cologne everytime it detects a foul oder!

10. WatchFromAfar Suspended

WatchFromAfar

Hey you know what those pieces of rubber I put on my feet need? (opt-in firmware updates smh)

11. Enclavean macrumors regular

Enclavean

Take my money. But only if they are delayed a whole year

12. Edsel macrumors 6502

Really, Nike??

BTW, I'm accepting investment opportunities to introduce "feature adjustable" men's underwear and women's "feature adjustable" bras.

(Take that, Nike!)

13. Gorms macrumors 6502

Gorms

I'm gonna need pretty big charging mat.

(Also, would buy for being tangentially related to BTTF)

14. majorrom macrumors newbie

You could probably have said the same about the iPhone

15. MyMacintosh macrumors 6502

MyMacintosh

or they could just retie their shoe....Are they supposed to be fumbling around with their phones during timeouts?

16. ghostface147 macrumors 68030

ghostface147

Interesting, but it's a solution to a problem that doesn't really exist. We're pretty good at adjusting our shoes manually.

17. WatchFromAfar Suspended

WatchFromAfar

That type of thinking is dumb "because something is possible then is bound to happen" yeah tell it to 3d glasses in the home or the internet fridge.

18. drewsof07, Jan 15, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2019

drewsof07 macrumors 68000

drewsof07

Or more likely: start smoking when you come down from that layup from a faulty lipo

19. Chrjy macrumors 6502a

Chrjy

If you say so...interesting comparison.

20. ondert macrumors 6502

ondert

Nike --> Couldn't release highly expected Nike Mag shoes in 2015.
    Apple --> Couldn't release AirPower in 2018 like it was promised.

21. TheFluffyDuck macrumors 6502

"Internet of things" really is synonymous with solutions for problems that don't exist.

22. oneMadRssn macrumors 601

oneMadRssn

The problem statement is: People need a way to show off conspicuously that they have disposable income.
    Solution: Put LEDs and whirring motors in a shoe, add bluetooth, give people a reason to take out their iPhone and mess with settings, and put the marketing might of big Nike behind it.

23. crsh1976 macrumors 6502a

/facepalm

Can't wait for the reports of these shoes saving lives and prompting couch-bound people off their feet for two whole minutes.

24. sziehr macrumors 6502a