Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Royal Gala

macrumors regular
Nov 2, 2016
I have issues because generally the person jumping in makes little sense or gets things all wrong as they have not read the entire context of the discussion, it's a pointless comment that you have to correct them in.

On what basis do you claim it to be general behaviour? I've seen selected instances of that on here, but not enough to represent a clear majority, and certainly not enough to be able to regard it as general conduct. Perhaps you have evidence to the contrary?

Reactions: Tycho24

ikjadoon

macrumors regular
Mar 5, 2017
Actually the G6 has a 80.7% screen to body ratio, and my comments are based on the facts that all the rumours have claimed Apple will use a curved screen so your maths are wrong due to that as Apple would need to have literally 100% screen to body ratio for them to fit it in, and I don't believe they will be able to do that. Samsung are supposed to be supplying the screens and they haven't made a phone with the screen edges curves on all sides, that's why I think it'll just copy the S8 design.

And even 80.6% (not using PhoneArena's measurements; better to be consistent) is still rather shy of Xiaomi's 84%. Most phones float in around 70 to 78%.

Not 100% screen-to-body, but 96% if exactly the same size. Rumors about Xiaomi, with their own math (different from PhoneArena's), are claiming a 93% screen-to-body ratio on the Mi Mix 2 launching in November. But, again, they can spare a few millimeters larger than the iPhone 7 if they really can't do 96% and bring that down to 90 to 95%.

The math is pretty direct and pretty simple here.

DotCom2

macrumors 603
Feb 22, 2009
All of this screen size versus phone size versus bezel size versus, versus, versus... has got me totally confused.
I guess I'll just wait for the announcement and have people tell me which phone corresponds to my current iPhone 7 plus which I am totally fine with. SHEESH!

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
And even 80.6% (not using PhoneArena's measurements; better to be consistent) is still rather shy of Xiaomi's 84%. Most phones float in around 70 to 78%.

Not 100% screen-to-body, but 96% if exactly the same size. Rumors about Xiaomi, with their own math (different from PhoneArena's), are claiming a 93% screen-to-body ratio on the Mi Mix 2 launching in November. But, again, they can spare a few millimeters larger than the iPhone 7 if they really can't do 96% and bring that down to 90 to 95%.

The math is pretty direct and pretty simple here.

It's still 80.7% as per LGs own website, and as you keep going on about the Mi Mix 2, perhaps you'd care to place its measurements on your post to compare it to the iPhone 7?

one more

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2015
Earth
Some damage on the aluminium, not much. Gorilla Glass? I`ve seen what happened to my screen (iPhone 6). Ca. 100€, at that time, and Apple exchanged the screen. Saphire Glass on the upcoming phones, please!

Is not sapphire more scratch resistant than Gorilla glass, but also easier to crack?

one more

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2015
Earth
Bumpers? Everybody is discussing the great design the iPhone is supposed to have and than we put a horrible plastic thing around them making so all cell phones look the same, WTF!!!!!

It depends. The bumper was only covering the rim of the iPhone, so the rest of it was visible in all its glory. One needs to be super careful to use the phone without any case without getting some sort of damage to its body. So the case basically keeps iPhones mint and helps to resell/reuse them better later on.

obamtl

macrumors 6502a
May 24, 2010
I'm so used to my Plus. I'm really hoping it will have the same usable screen size
You're right. I am a bit concerned with reports that it's got 5.15" in useable area. I love The screen real estate of the Plus iPhone and would be reluctant to trade that for the new features of the next gen iPhone.

Reactions: moxxham

Tycho24

Suspended
Aug 29, 2014
Florida
You've totally missed my point.... I'm also not as certain as you obviously are that a new iPhone priced at OVER $1000 or in my country £1000 will cause a sales spike... It'll sell as it's an extra new device to the lineup, but I doubt very much it'll have the same sales impact as the current models did at launch..

But by all means, jump in in my reply to someone else and declare that I'm wrong and that EVERYONE WOULD LOVE A LESS DURABLE IPHONE THAT'S MORE PRETTY AND COSTS 1000 PLUS!

Lol, straw man much??
Obviously no one has ever said or even hinted that anybody wants a less durable phone (which I'm CERTAIN you know); however, the fact is given the choice between beautiful, but not as durable, or ugly, but more durable- the VAST majority will choose the fashionable choice.
This is obvious by the amount of "specialty" super protective case sales vs. fashion case sales.

Anyways... I'm not vindictive, so I won't bookmark your post to rub in how wrong you are when this gen blows all previous sales records out of the water.

Cheers.

Reactions: DUIduckSAUCE

freddiecable

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2003
Sweden
So - they will not use the whole screen real-estate? A 5.8" screen but not really? I know it is rumors. But still. So it is basically a touch bar at the bottom of the screen that can be dynamically adapted to different apps? Why not use the whole screen estate?

IG88

macrumors 65816
Nov 4, 2016
Seems like Apple is doing one big design loop - had a glass back then went to metal and now back to glass again. Lets hope it's Gorilla Glass or even sapphire as no doubt people will be concerned about the glass breaking upon it being dropped.
Sapphire is more brittle. There isn't anything that can change that. There is a very strong correlation in materials between hardness and brittleness. You won't see any sapphire backed phone because it would shatter from the slightest drop.
[doublepost=1488743590][/doublepost]
I feel we are going to be disappointed though. It will be some kind of collectors/anniversary edition in the first few months. In februari they will catch up with demand. And by september 2018 all models will have this design, but with an upgraded soc and camera' s.
I can already imagine the complaints.

I can' t wait for the iphone 8 plus though, 6.6 inch oled anyone? Have to wait until october 2018 though.
I think you might have nailed the name. The iPhone Anniversary Edition.

dmx

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2008
Lol, most phone manufacturers use Amoled for years now... would you say those are inferior to Apple's offerings?
[doublepost=1488707910][/doublepost]Apple should already be all Oled by now: iMac, MacBook (pro). Everything! At premium prices you expect the latest and greatest.

Respectfully, if you talk to people or analysts who know the industry, they will tell you the capacity hasn't existed yet for Apple to go 100 percent OLED in iPhone, let alone all of their products. The cost for Apple to guarantee the capacity they need would be absurd, and perhaps impossible. Just because Apple charges more for their products, doesn't magically make a change like this feasible.

manu chao

macrumors 604
Jul 30, 2003
Seems like Apple is doing one big design loop - had a glass back then went to metal and now back to glass again. Lets hope it's Gorilla Glass or even sapphire as no doubt people will be concerned about the glass breaking upon it being dropped.
Sapphire doesn't help much against breaking. It is the best material against scratches but Gorilla Glass is significantly better than standard sapphire in regard to not shattering. Note though that Gorilla glass is not just a chemical formula or a specific polymorph of that chemical formula but also a production technique that results in positive compressive stresses in the glass and that some of the techniques used in the various Gorilla Glass variants could possbily be applied to sapphire as well.

Last edited:

IG88

macrumors 65816
Nov 4, 2016
Lolwut??
The 4.7" iPhone outsells the 5.5" almost 2 to 1; I'd say the 4.7" form factor is definitely "what people want".
The + costs $100 more, in order to truly know what people want, you'd have to make them the same price.

manu chao

macrumors 604
Jul 30, 2003
can't we just stop all these BS "reports" from non-sources and actually WAIT until the event?
I am sorry to hear that you are offended when people discuss rumours and/or engage in, more or less, informed speculation. But the good news is that when you avoid websites that have the word 'rumor' in their domain name, website title or description, you should be able to avoid seeing such discussions.

Last edited:

Tycho24

Suspended
Aug 29, 2014
Florida
I have issues because generally the person jumping in makes little sense or gets things all wrong as they have not read the entire context of the discussion, it's a pointless comment that you have to correct them in.

Maybe just start PMing ppl if you want to have a private conversation with only them?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.