No 4K video recording in iPhone 6!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by VinegarTasters, Sep 10, 2014.

1. VinegarTasters macrumors 6502

VinegarTasters

Apple did not including 4K video recording when they got camera module that is capable of it from Sony. Same mistake of them not going for bigger phone size/resolution until it is too late. Why are they always one generation behind the demand? Don't they notice the huge demand for 4K HD TV (needing 4K video recorders) just kicking in?

Apple may have lost a huge number of potential mobile phone customers to Sony Xperia Z3. Someone needs to put a technology pusher inside their ranks with vision, because this is a big mistake.

Here are the latest phones supporting 4K video... which is best in shooting 4k video?

LG G3
    OnePlus One
    Samsung Galaxy S5 / Note 4
    Sony Xperia Z3

These are in alphabetical order. Someone please put them in quality order for 4K video.

2. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

My apologies but are there devices that can play 4K videos among the general populace yet?

3. iMatt. macrumors 6502

If you are in the industry of needing to shoot in 4K, you'll probably already own a 4K capable camera.

As mentioned above, there's barely any TVs on the market that are capable of showing 4K.

4. Steve121178 macrumors 68040

Steve121178

Not needed. Maybe in a few years when 8K is mainstream....

5. GummiBjorn macrumors member

Shooting 4K on a smartphone won't give you real 4K. It will give you the resolution of 4K but not the quality.

6. apple.snapple macrumors regular

They're going to have to drop the 16GB version if 4K is going to be the standard.

7. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

People that want to do 4K video on a sub-1 cm thick phone really need to read up on the old mega-pixel saga.

8. iChase macrumors member

I'll take great quality 1080p over average to low quality 4k.

9. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Good god, no kidding, right? 4K video on a cell phone. SMH for sure on this one.
    I actually want to sit around here all day and wait for the first person to write "no 4K, no buy."

10. cynics macrumors G4

4K is great for editing video regardless of devices that can play it.

That said Apple built in what appears to be very good digital stabilization and for most of our needs that's the benefit of 4K video.

11. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Is there a HUGE demand so far for 4K video recording? Do you have any evidence supporting that in the real world?

Apple is "behind" because they can be. It is not too late because these phones will sell like hotcakes. People will be bitching about the wait to get one and everything. Finally, not to sound like too much of a fangirl here but Apple likely hasn't lost an identifiable amount of customers to the Sony Z3.

It's fine that you call it a big mistake. I'm sure Apple's stock and their bottom line profits will certainly support your idea.

12. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Not a big deal to me that the new iPhones can't shoot video on 4K.

13. sickicw macrumors newbie

I just created an account so I could post this…

No 4K, no buy.

My household has 3 ipad minis, and 2 full size ipads. My wife and I both have the iphone 5. We will be upgrading our phones next month and she will get an iphone 6 (because she is used to it) and I will not.

I just bought a 4K TV and refuse to buy a smartphone that does not support it. As of late 2014 4K, in my opinion, is a mature technology and there is no reason to exclude it from high end video products.

I have a $300 Panasonic G5 DSLR that does a great job at 1080p 60fps video, but to upgrade to 4K I would have to buy a $1700 GH4. That is not going to happen. Getting a smartphone that shoots at 4K is a bargain. No, it won’t shoot as well as a DSLR in low light, but for most shots it works great. So once again, for me, no 4K, no buy. End of story.

Oh and I just had to comment on some of the quite ignorant posts….

My apologies but are there devices that can play 4K videos among the general populace yet?
    - For people who can afford the iphone 6, Yes. I can plug in a USB drive to my 4K TV and play 4K. Most computers with video cards from 2012 and up can play it. Certain 2012 and up Nvidia cards have an updated driver to output 4K at 60FPS with 4.2.0 Chroma subsampling. The best way to check if your computer can support 4K is to go to youtube and see if you can play a 4K video. Also, if you buy a Samsung smart phone, it can play 4K videos. If you only have a 1080p display, you will still see an improvement because 4K will down sample to 1080p at 4.4.4 Chroma subsampling, while the iphone 6 will be 1080p 4.2.0 Chroma subsampling.
    Here is an example….
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pLiehzLTxXk

If you are in the industry of needing to shoot in 4K, you'll probably already own a 4K capable camera.
    - No one buys a smartphone to do professional work. iphones are not targeted at professional videographers.

As mentioned above, there's barely any TVs on the market that are capable of showing 4K.
    -Most large screen TVs on the market are 4K capable. Have you been to Best Buy lately?

Not needed. Maybe in a few years when 8K is mainstream....
    -1080p is “not needed”. 720p get the job done, correct?

Shooting 4K on a smartphone won't give you real 4K. It will give you the resolution of 4K but not the quality.
    -Shooting 1080p very rarely gives you real 1080p. Most cameras (including all smartphones) use 4.2.0 Chroma subsampling and are compressed. Expect to spend thousands of dollars to get “real” raw 1080p. The iphone 5S shoots at around 15 Mbps at 1080p while the Samsung Note 3 gives you around 50Mpbs at 4K. The note 3’s 4K is just as “real” as the iphone 5s’s 1080p.

People that want to do 4K video on a sub-1 cm thick phone really need to read up on the old mega-pixel saga
    -The iphone already has 8MP which is almost enough for 4K. An 8.3MP camera sensor is large enough for 4K.

I'll take great quality 1080p over average to low quality 4k.
    -The note 3 1080p video, in my opinion, looks better than the iphone 5s’s 1080p video. It seems to have better dynamic range and better low light performance. In addition, when you use 4K and downsample to 1080p it gives you 4.4.4 Chroma subsampling compared to iphone’s 4.2.0 Chroma subsampling

Apple likely hasn't lost an identifiable amount of customers.
    -Probably not, but Samsung’s market share is catching up to Apple, while Apple’s technology is still catching up to Samsung’s (and others). No empire can last forever.

14. MattMJB0188 macrumors 68000

MattMJB0188

Boy you all are foolish! Apple's gotta save something for the "S" model on the iPhone 6.

15. HenryDJP macrumors 603

I highly doubt 4K recording will be on the S-model.

16. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Thank you for that!
    Interesting how you start with "no 4k, no buy" and then you have the audacity to refer to a number of posts as "ignorant". While I haven't been to Best Buy as of late I wonder if you have seen a black pot and a black kettle around.
    Absolutely agree. Apple is notorious for being seemingly behind the times. I don't deny this at all. Everything many are all excited over are features you could have found last year in a few phones, if not more. Where Apple wins with me is that it seems they generally get it right the first time. Not without slight hiccups, but overall, I find that they get it right the first time. I think part of the "it just works" theory is that they do attempt to get it right the first time and not push out features just because they can. I don't doubt we'll see 4K on an iPhone but at best, it'll be on the 7 and that, as far as I can tell, is 2 years off.

17. Cool Pup macrumors 6502a

Cool Pup

Once 4k is relevant, it will be on an iPhone. Probably the 7. It's hardly relevant yet, and it's mostly for enthusiasts.

18. Rafterman macrumors 68000

The Note 3 I have can record 4K video and even my maxed out late 2013 Macbook Pro Retina 15 struggles to play it smoothly. 4K video just isn't ready for the general populace.

19. matrix07 macrumors 68040

matrix07

I'm not sure the OP will understand that. (You're right of course) :)

20. Camoxide macrumors regular

Apple doesn't allow you to toggle resolution when recording on the camera (yet) so i'd rather not be shooting everything in 4K...

21. pmau macrumors 65816

Well ... I'm buying a phone. Even the M8/Barometer thingy puts me off a little.

They should create little gadgets that do that and talk to the phone.

Imagine that weather health and activity tracking would just be a gadget you might choose to wear on you or not. Even NFC is way better suited in a watch like device than inside the phone.

But back on that ridiculous 4k.
    Why would I even consider shooting 4k with a phone?

It's unreasonable, you can't really store it, it's stupid to transfer and it's not a task to do with a phone.

Apple should at least
    * improve the speakers
    * improve the battery
    * improve the amount of RAM
    * improve the springboard

Then we could talk about hardware gimmicks to put in a phone.

22. ItHurtsWhenIP macrumors 6502

My computer isn't 4K, my TV isn't 4K, my tablet isn't 4k, my Xbox isn't 4K, my blu-ray player isn't 4K...what sense does it make to have it on a phone, the lowest item on the media consumption totem pole? None, IMO.

Until DirecTV and Netflix starts broadcasting every HD channel/video currently available, in 4K, I don't care about it nor do I want to hear about it..especially on a phone.

23. Meister Suspended

Meister

I agree with the above. Well put!

24. iPhone7ate9 macrumors 6502a

So? Does anyone even own a 4K tv?

You aren't making cinema films with the iPhone so if you ever do get a 4KTV they do a fine job upscaling.

I'm glad Apple isn't playing the "let's throw every thing we possibly can into something even if it's pointless".

25. AdamA9 macrumors 6502a

My iPhone is always full now, and I don't have a lot of music and videos on there — 4k video is going to limit this further.

As above, happy with good quality 1080p over sub standard 4k