Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Just yesterday, 9to5Mac claimed that a debut of updated MacBook Pro models was "likely" to occur next week, offering a minor speed bump refresh to carry the line through until the launch of Intel's Ivy Bridge platform next year. AppleInsider now reports, however, that the MacBook Pro launch will likely not occur until "early next month".
[One source] said that the notebooks' planned introduction in late September was put on the back burner once the release dates for iOS 5.0 and iPhone 4S were solidified, as Apple pooled all available resources to support the launch -- the largest and most rapid yet in the Cupertino-based company's history.

Since then, the launch date for the Late 2011 MacBook Pros has reportedly been a moving target. However, a second person with proven accuracy in predicting Apple's product launch dates says the Mac maker is now advising its partners not to expect availability of the new models until the first week of November.
The reason for the continued fluidity in launch timing is unknown, although Apple's primary MacBook Pro and MacBook Air aluminum case supplier, Catcher Technology, has been forced to temporarily shut down its factory over over pollution concerns. Digitimes reported today that Catcher is investing $2-3 million to address concerns at the plant, aiming to resume production next month.

mbp_2011_lion_oblique.jpg

Apple has reportedly already ramped down production of its current MacBook Pro models, a situation that will likely lead to increasingly tight supplies heading into the refresh. Third-party resellers are already experiencing shortages and stock-outs of the MacBook Pro, although it is unclear if the shortages will also spread back to Apple's own channels, which understandably maintain highest priority for distribution.

Article Link: No MacBook Pro Refresh Until Early Next Month?

Simsonic

macrumors member
Jun 28, 2010
Cardiff by the Sea
no

Obi-Rumor: These aren't the MacBook Pro's you're looking for.
MacTrooper: These aren't the MacBook Pro's we're looking for.
Obi-Rumor: He can go about his business.
MacTrooper: You can go about your business.
Obi-Rumor: More rumors.
MacTrooper: More rumors... more rumors.

hobo.hopkins

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2008
I would hate to be in a position waiting to buy a new MacBook Pro; it would feel like torture!

mwayne85

macrumors regular
Feb 11, 2009
My reliable sources tell me that the new Macbook Pros will come out somewhere in the vicinity of "soon."

daxomni

macrumors 6502
Jun 24, 2009
I'm glad to hear that China is finally cracking down on industrial pollution, although I'm surprised that supposedly green Apple hasn't already reviewed and addressed this. Was Catcher even mentioned in Apple's environmental audit?

duffmanth

macrumors member
Mar 26, 2011
I'd be surprised...

Doesn't Apple only refresh each computer line once a year? I don't ever recall them updating any computer line twice in the same year.

oiuh151

macrumors 6502
May 18, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

duffmanth said:
Doesn't Apple only refresh each computer line once a year? I don't ever recall them updating any computer line twice in the same year.

2009 iMacs and the 2009 Mac Minis for a couple of recent examples of them refreshing twice a year.

Jaro65

macrumors 68040
Mar 27, 2009
Seattle, WA
Looking much more forward to the Ivy Bridge update next year, which will hopefully also bring the rumored case redesign.

oiuh151

macrumors 6502
May 18, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

johnnyturbouk said:
^ didn't the 2010 MBP have a minor sped bump this time last year.

IMHO if you need and want a MBP get one now - if you can wait, wait till IVY Bridge in the 2012 refresh with (hopefully) native usb3!

All it got was an added BTO option.

MVRL

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2011
ROFL, this is so ridiculous.

Like I said a few ago in the other thread. This rumor mill is just dying and getting CPR'd up, then dies again, gets an epinephrine shot again, then dies again, then gets chest paddled up again.

You will eventually get it right with your *trusted sources*.

GL

marcusj0015

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2011
U.S.A.
I thougth they updated each computer twice a year, but lately i haven't a clue what's going on tbh.

as long as my Ivy Bridge redesigned MacBook Pro comes out ASAP. i'm happy.

edk99

macrumors 6502a
May 27, 2009
FL
Mac book pro has had an average release cycle of 215 days so it could happen within the same calendar year like in 2008. But it looks like an update is every 8-10 months https://buyersguide.macrumors.com//#MacBook_Pro

But this is just a speed bump nothing to get to excited about. I'm waiting for the big refresh next year for sure

mr.steevo

macrumors 65816
Jul 21, 2004
ROFL, this is so ridiculous.

Like I said a few ago in the other thread. This rumor mill is just dying and getting CPR'd up, then dies again, gets an epinephrine shot again, then dies again, then gets chest paddled up again.

You will eventually get it right with your *trusted sources*.

GL

If you don't like it here no one is making you stay.

parasitius

macrumors newbie
Oct 13, 2011
I'm new to the MacIntosh platform, Ubuntu's latest update broke everything kind of sick of it, so can you tell me when the refreshed MiniMac's come out?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.