Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

alchemistTi

macrumors newbie
Sep 25, 2014
Re: everyone moaning about Apple's releases so far.

We've seen the thinnest, fastest iPhone released, with a better screen, better camera (with 240fps slow mo), longer battery life. They introduced Apple Pay and last but not least shown off Apple Watch.

This is before the Mac/iPad event! What would it take to satisfy you?!

Significant hardware updates across all Mac models. I know it won't happen, and I know it's not all their fault, but that's what it'd take for me to buy Eddie's comment. I want to see the same level of effort made on expansion of Mac hardware rather than just media consumption-focused iOS-running mobile platforms. I know that is Apple's primary market now but I don't want it to neglect the traditional Mac user. Little things like the GeForce 750M not being swapped for a newer model in the last rMBP update, no Mac mini update in years, the abandoning of Aperture, and all-around stagnation of Mac hardware leaves me underwhelmed. If hardware like a 13" rMBP still struggles to play video at seamless frame rates at high native resolutions, then what good is it when 95% of what it can do can also be done on an iPad? Great times for tablet users, but not for those doing the media creation for those consumers (obviously a serious minority). Macs needs to stand out in capabilities, particularly graphics performance (something Jobs always highlighted) to stay relevant to the media producers in this universe.

Icardi

macrumors newbie
Oct 8, 2014
Its coming, Lenovo just lunched the yoga pro 3 with the broadwell m processor, and that comes out later this month . I call this BS , 100% sure its coming.

happyslayer

macrumors 65816
Feb 3, 2008
Glendale, AZ
I so want this to be false. I just sold my 2013 11" MBA in the hope that a new 12" would be announced (even if it doesn't ship until next year like they did with the Mac Pro.) I just want some hope. Oh well, I'll be stuck using my Lenovo Yoga 2 11 (purchased for a customer that backed out and I got stuck with it.) until something is official. Oh, man, could be some long months ahead.

And to the person who asked "who buys Airs?" LOTS of people. My whole family has Airs, two of my friends and probably 20 of my customers. (I'm a computer consultant.) Many people really like the small portable form factor. It's Apple's best product by far, in my opinion.

alchemistTi

macrumors newbie
Sep 25, 2014
I totally agree with this, actually. It would be nice if all the MacBook Pros had dedicated graphics for example, not just the high-end 15" model.

I know, right? That's what made them "pro" in the first place. If we all still ran 720p screens than Intel might be able to keep up, but once Apple started championing high res retina displays, Intel has always been too far behind for anything other than casual use.

Last edited:

stasha

macrumors 6502
Sep 18, 2014
Montréal
finally i will skip ipad eventhough im so tempted with the gold colour this year and get this instead,i cant buy 3 apple product this year just two of them,i think my plus can replace the ipad.

s2mikey

Suspended
Sep 23, 2013
Upstate, NY
Are they in no hurry to put a retina display on the MBA for fear of cannabalizing rMBP sales? I always felt that a lot of people went with the rMBP mainly because of the screen difference which IS a major plus for the rMBP.

I consider my 13" fairly new rMBP quite portable and its got very good battery life too. I looked at an MBA but it just didn't cut it. Unless you place a huge priority on portability and the ultimate in battery life the rMBP is a better machine in every other regard.

betabeta

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2013
So Macbook rumor seems shot down....Hmmm, 2 hours for 2 refreshed iPads and Yosemite? Not bloody likely.

The 12.9 iPad plus/pro is going to be introduced, we have a rumor that it is delayed until next year, just like the rumor on the 5.5 iPhone...interesting.... So probably it will ship this year, but VERY limited, but it will not have any where near the demand as the iPhone, so not too hard to believe.

So iPad event will have 3 iPads
Mini
Air
Plus

Yosemite

It's been way too long for the Apple TV which will need time for an API and App Store. So just a sneak peak, release next spring. Cook is in love with the surprises.

ColdShadow

Cancelled
Sep 25, 2013
Did anyone really think it would show up with zero part leaks?

it won't show up due to Intel Broadwell,but lack of leaks is irrelevant,you didn't see any single leak for Apple Watch and they announced it.

----------

I consider my 13" fairly new rMBP quite portable and its got very good battery life too. I looked at an MBA but it just didn't cut it. Unless you place a huge priority on portability and the ultimate in battery life the rMBP is a better machine in every other regard.
The Air has a much more appealing design than the rMBP,a better form factor,MUCH lighter,and with MUCH better battery life.
And for most users the CPU power difference won't be noticeable / needed.
So yes the main advantage of the rMBP to the MBA is only the display.vs many cons.

----------

The MBA is such a stale product at this point. With the rMBP, it doesn't really serve a purpose anymore, retina screen or not.

Can't disagree more,most people prefer the better form factor,superior battery life and lighter weight of a MBA to the bulky,heavy and short battery life of a rMBP.
If MBA gets a retina screen,even less people will choose a rMBP over Air.
Current MBAs are the best laptops Apple ever made.

majkom

macrumors 68000
May 3, 2011
Are they in no hurry to put a retina display on the MBA for fear of cannabalizing rMBP sales? I always felt that a lot of people went with the rMBP mainly because of the screen difference which IS a major plus for the rMBP.

nope... had both, kept air.. retina 13incher UI is slow (dunno if its because underpowered GPU for such a resolution or OS X glitch, but i do not care)

iolinux333

macrumors 68000
Feb 9, 2014
Refuse to buy an Air until Retina is available.

Not refusing, but just no point in buying a new one. The difference between my late 2011 MBA and new is zilch in the real world. APPL seems to be trying to artificially keeping it from having Handoff in Yosemite, maybe to force upgrade, but some enterprising folks have it working anyway.

donnaw

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2011
Austin TX
I think they will talk a bunch about Apple Pay. The timing is just too close not to. In fact I think Apple Pay roll out will be a big part of the whole thing.

clevins

macrumors 6502
Jul 26, 2014
[/COLOR]

Can't disagree more,most people prefer the better form factor,superior battery life and lighter weight of a MBA to the bulky,heavy and short battery life of a rMBP.
If MBA gets a retina screen,even less people will choose a rMBP over Air.
Current MBAs are the best laptops Apple ever made.

While I have an Air and love it... the hyperbole is amusing. Here are the specss for a 13" rMBP:

Height: 0.71 inch (1.8 cm)
Width: 12.35 inches (31.4 cm)
Depth: 8.62 inches (21.9 cm)
Weight: 3.46 pounds (1.57 kg)2

and here's the 13" Air:

Height: 0.11-0.68 inch (0.3-1.7 cm)
Width: 12.8 inches (32.5 cm)
Depth: 8.94 inches (22.7 cm)
Weight: 2.96 pounds (1.35 kg)3

The rMBP is a half pound heavier and just barely thicker than the thickest point on the Air. To call it bulky and heavy isn't even in the same ballpark as reality. Short battery life? At 9 hours... SHORT??? Give me a break.

Retina Airs don't leave enough differentiation between the Air and Pro line. WhatI can see is either a 12" rMBP replacing the 13" rMBP or an 11" rMBP added to the Pro line.

iLLUMI

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2012
awwwh, and I was so looking forward to upgrading my 2012 MBA.
Oh well, maybe next year.

BWhaler

macrumors 68040
Jan 8, 2003
Heartbreaking. I understand given Intel's screwup, but this was my next Mac.

I don't buy the rumor manufacturing starts in december. two problems with this rumor:

1. If it really is a new form factor, no way apple is going to let the chinese leak their new product. it'll be announced then made.
2. why december? they are not going to announce it in january after people purchased a new mac for christmas. too grinch of a move. don't need to build months of inventory either.

I think we will see them late Q1, WWDC at the latest.

Hopefully the new iPad mini comes with a killer iWork upgrade so I can wait until then.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.