No scrollbar arrow buttons in Lion!

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by neuropulse, Jul 9, 2011.

1. neuropulse macrumors member

OMG. Lion has some great new features. But there is something I find to be a fatal flaw. They removed the arrow buttons from the scrollbars. I use those constantly. Now, you can't click to go down lines. You can only click to go down an entire page at a time. It is intolarable.

I am swicthing mack to Snow Leopard until they fix it or somoene makes an extension.

Does anyone know what software there is for customizing your interface? I know there is, but I don't remember what they are called. I pray that they will scrollbar arrow key options.

2. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

Can you not use scroll to go down lines? It's faster anyway.

3. neuropulse thread starter macrumors member

That's not how I do it. I don't want to have to find the scrollbar knob and click and drag. I just want to click. I keep going to click the arrows and they are not there. It is infuriating.

4. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

No, I mean the scroll on your mouse or two-finger scroll on your trackpad.

5. neuropulse thread starter macrumors member

Well, obviously, I don't like doing it that way either :p

And there is no scroll on my mouse.

I want the damn arrow buttons. That was so stupid to remove them.

6. Zincous macrumors 6502

How about using the arrow keys on your keyboard? Just keep tapping the down arrow when you want to go down?

7. neuropulse thread starter macrumors member

Yeah, yeah. I am aware of that also. That means I have to take my hand off the mouse.

8. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

You could simply pick up a mouse with a scroll wheel. ;)

I understand your frustration with the lack of buttons. Personally, though, I never ever use them as I'm either using my mouse with a scroll wheel or the trackpad which uses two-finger scroll. This is probably the case for 99.9% of Mac users as well. iMacs and Mac Pros come with a keyboard and mouse, and laptops have them built-in. I imagine most people that buy a mouse for their Mini also get one with a scroll wheel.

You might find that scrolling is easier than clicking the button. :)

9. markrox7 macrumors 6502

That's not normal. Just swipe to scroll… much more fluid and easier...

10. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

Hard to do when you have a mouse without a scroll wheel...

Did you even read anything in this thread?

11. Cougarcat macrumors 604

12. 42streetsdown macrumors 6502a

42streetsdown

I'm pretty sure you can use the space bar to scroll down lines. I mean, obviously it's not the same, but it's something.

13. FroMann macrumors 6502

FroMann

If you like the scroll bar buttons can't you just use the up and down arrow keys?

14. baryon macrumors 68040

baryon

I thought only grannies scrolled with the scroll arrows. You know that pressing the up/down arrows on the keyboard will result in the same, jaggy and annoying scrolling that you used to get with the scroll arrows.

Also, if you want to stick to such an old-fashioned way of doing things, then what's wrong with sticking with an old-fashioned OS? Just keep your current OS and you'll be happy!

It's like complaining about having to use a mouse instead of typing everything into the command line when the graphical UI got invented?

Or like complaining about having to drive a car vs. walking.

15. FoxMcCloud macrumors 6502a

16. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

I don't believe there is a setting to reenable scroll bar buttons.

17. G-Force macrumors 6502a

1. Stay on Snow Leopard and be happy :) or
    2. Get a nice mouse with a scroll wheel, it will allow you to scroll one line at a time. Much easier than using those buttons.

18. damnyooneek macrumors 6502

clicking on those arrows are inefficient and only makes sense to uncoordinated grandmas

19. seong, Jul 10, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 10, 2011

seong macrumors 65816

seong

I'm really surprised that there are people still using that feature. I mean, honestly, you've got three options. Scroll on your trackpad, use the scroll wheel on your mouse, or use arrow keys.

20. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

Sheesh, what's up with all the needless and pointless insults?

Just because one person uses their computer in a way you don't like doesn't mean that they're wrong. I've come to expect better from here...

It also seems that very few people are actually reading any of this thread. The OP only has a non-scrolling mouse, no trackpad. Most likely the OP has a Mac Mini, or didn't like the mouse that came with the iMac or Mac Pro and is using an old one. Lay off!

21. RafaelT macrumors 65816

RafaelT

I don't think it's right that some of the people here are taking shots at the guy for how he does things. It's what he likes.... and it's ok.

With that being said, OP I really don't think there are many people who still use the arrow buttons, unfortunately we are at a point where you will either need to evolve with the new technology or stick with the old stuff. With that being said you are going to have to upgrade eventually and adapt... it's your choice if you want to do that now or later but you might as well take the plunge. Easiest thing to do is upgrade your mouse.

22. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

OP, your best bet is to upgrade to a scrolling mouse or trackpad (the magic trackpad is fantastic for Lion) if you want to upgrade to Lion. Although, you could always stick with Snow Leopard for now. I really doubt anyone is going to right a SIMBL plugin to bring back those archaic buttons when there are much more efficient and aesthetic ways to scroll now.

23. baryon macrumors 68040

baryon

I know it's wrong, but I always get annoyed at my girlfriend who insists on clicking and dragging the scroll bar when you can just use two fingers to scroll, without having to move the mouse, without having to click and drag.

I know it's none of my business, but I really feel like it's not a matter of preference, but rather a matter of "getting used to something better". I know it's arrogant to say that, but in my opinion the only reason some people aren't using the newer scrolling is because they never got around to getting used to it, no matter how simple it is.

It's like people who will store every single thing on their desktop, and get a bigger monitor when there is no more space on it, instead of just using folders. Then they can't find anything for ages because there's a bunch of old links and stuff to look through, but then they say "folders are just complicated, I won't use them", even though using them would make their life easier.

So, sorry for being a jerk and saying that you should not use the scroll buttons, but I would really recommend just scrolling with the mouse or the trackpad, unless you can come up with a single reason why clicking multiple times to scroll is better than moving your fingers in any direction.

24. Stickle1990 macrumors newbie

I don't have my hands on Lion yet but in Snow Leopard I use "TinkerTool" for scroll arrow options, I've also heard of "Deeper" as a similar thing but never used it. It might be worth trying the different options these programmes give you with Lion installed even though they are not designed for it.

On a side point to everyone else I think it's interesting that nobody answered the your question, instead they either attacked or defended your choice of method with a view to giving you a better solution for scrolling. As far as I see it, you stated your solution:
    then asked a question nobody tried to answer:

25. davidwarren macrumors 6502a

I love scrolling on my trackpad, but I use the scroll arrows too sometimes- when I VNC onto my iMac from my iPad. You can’t scroll the screen on the iMac any other way.