Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

docal97

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2006
Southampton
So an update. Today I cheated the today view and the driving time to my home suddenly appeared!! Coincidentally, today is exactly 2 weeks since I got my 5s. So I am not sure if the. For needs 2 weeks of location data before making suggestions. I am unsure if this but it's just a thought.

testcard

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2009
Northumbria, UK
So an update. Today I cheated the today view and the driving time to my home suddenly appeared!! Coincidentally, today is exactly 2 weeks since I got my 5s. So I am not sure if the. For needs 2 weeks of location data before making suggestions. I am unsure if this but it's just a thought.

Looking at the evidence from other posters, 2-3 weeks seems to be the norm before driving time is displayed.

Merkyworks

macrumors 6502
Oct 14, 2008
It does do that. If you are mostly at home in the evenings and you go somewhere, it will tell you how long it takes to get home.

It does this once the phone establishes this? What I want to do is be able to set this up from day one. When I tried out Android for a bit there was a widget that would show you how long it would take to get home based off your current location and the traffic.

Tyler23

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2010
Atlanta, GA
It does this once the phone establishes this? What I want to do is be able to set this up from day one. When I tried out Android for a bit there was a widget that would show you how long it would take to get home based off your current location and the traffic.

After two full weeks on iOS 7 with frequent locations enabled, you'll get this function that you are looking for.

After two full weeks of learning your driving patterns, it will start telling you how long to get to work, how long to get home from work, etc.. But it will also then tell you, anytime you are not home (say at a friend's house for a weekend barbecue), it will tell you how long it will take to get home.

There's no way to do this from day one, but after two full weeks - you will start seeing this behavior (in the third week).

Black Magic

macrumors 68030
Sep 30, 2012

Yea, it does this once it establishes a pattern. I'm at work now and when I look at my phone it tells me how long it would take for me to get home. I don't think you can establish this behavior from day one.

Nevaborn

macrumors 65816
Aug 30, 2013
Can we confirm if this only works for one work location as I am at various places across the week.

Will it go by the one place you can list as work or will it track you and after 2 weeks see that on a Wednesday i go somewhere specific ?

rwilliams

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2009
Raleigh, NC
Can we confirm if this only works for one work location as I am at various places across the week.

Will it go by the one place you can list as work or will it track you and after 2 weeks see that on a Wednesday i go somewhere specific ?

It should pick up on whatever travel patterns you establish. For example, not only did it figure out when I go to work and then back home, it even figured out last week that on Saturday evenings, I've been going to my girlfriend's house. I checked it last Saturday, and it told me how long it would take to get to her address. I was impressed.

Gutwrench

Suspended
Jan 2, 2011
Yesterday I got out of the house late and checked Today. It told me I was doubled booked at 8 am and right now it would take me 21 minutes to get to work so I will be LATE!

I told Siri to pack her bags and leave. She said I was certainly entitled to that opinion. She's still here.

Black Magic

macrumors 68030
Sep 30, 2012

You don't/can't set specifics locations. It tracks your patterns and does everything automatically.

ideal.dreams

macrumors 68020
Jul 19, 2010
After using iOS 7 for a few weeks, I think I have this figured out. I don't think it starts showing up after a certain amount of time has passed, but rather after determining which locations are frequented the most. It started giving me traffic conditions to my house after I had 20+ visits recorded.

That way it only gives you information for the places you go to the most.

testcard

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2009
Northumbria, UK
I'd be interested to know how long a phone has to be stationary in a particular location before that location qualifies as a Frequent Location.

Black Magic

macrumors 68030
Sep 30, 2012
I'd be interested to know how long a phone has to be stationary in a particular location before that location qualifies as a Frequent Location.

I went to get an oil change and was there for an hour or so. It registered as a hit. A few other hour or so visits registered as well. Anything less than that I'm not seeing.

nathdogg

macrumors regular
Oct 7, 2011

I've also wondered this myself.

I've visited a few locations for around 15-20 minutes that haven't shown up in frequent locations.

testcard

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2009
Northumbria, UK
One more question - I know that under the list of Frequent Locations, each location is shown on a small section of a map. Any way to view all Frequent Locations in Maps? I suspect probably not.

Hollowman

macrumors newbie
May 27, 2013
Mine worked flawlessly in Beta 3 onwards, but after getting the public release of ios7 haven't got it to work yet, despite registering 15 home visits and about 10 work visits. Hopefully a few more and it will start showing up again.

Beefburga

macrumors 6502
Aug 4, 2009
No traffic conditions in notification center.

I've only just noticed that I didn't have my work address in my profile in contacts.

Now when I check my frequent locations my work location is now called "Work" instead of just the road name so hopefully it's only a matter of time before it starts to show up in my NC.

paul.p

macrumors regular
Apr 26, 2012
Tulsa, OK
Received my first traffic message today in the notifications and it was to a place I went to once last week. Was very helpful.

zone23

macrumors 68000
May 10, 2012
I thought it started working when I put my home address and work address under my contact information.

Tyler23

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2010
Atlanta, GA
nobody really knows when this thing really is suppose to start I'm going on week 3 and it still hasn't showed up in my NC

I've been using iOS 7 since June 10th. I've had to restore a few times, and each time it started for me at the start of the third full week.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.