Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jav6454

macrumors Core
Original poster
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
Yup, it happened.

Despite an encouraging sign on the jobs front — nonfarm payrolls jumped by 290,000 in April, the fastest pace in four years — investors unwound their recovery plays, selling off technology, industrial and consumer-discretionary stocks.

Selling in techs accelerated following news that Nokia [NOK 10.62 -0.60 (-5.35%) ] is suing Apple [AAPL 237.15 -9.10 (-3.7%) ] over patent infringements.

http://www.cnbc.com real time app for iPhone.

Gizmodo now reports it...

Nokia has sued Apple today, claiming that the iPad and iPhone infringe on five of its patents. The two companies have been throwing lawsuits back and forth for months, making this just the latest salvo in an increasingly bitter feud.

The specific technologies cited by Nokia include enhanced speech and data transmission, using positioning data in applications, and antenna configuration enhancements.

Link

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
in a legal perspective it makes sense since the iPad 3G is just a big iPhone that cannot make phone calls. The same components that went into an iPhone are in the iPad so if Nokia is suing apple on the iPhone it makes sense to do the same on the iPad.

jav6454

macrumors Core
Original poster
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
in a legal perspective it makes sense since the iPad 3G is just a big iPhone that cannot make phone calls. The same components that went into an iPhone are in the iPad so if Nokia is suing apple on the iPhone it makes sense to do the same on the iPad.

True, but there in lies the crux of this debacle. Nokias patents pertain to the phone part of this whole deal.

If Nokia does have a good patent that is being violated, Apple should pay.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Apr 12, 2001
Nokia Broadens Attack on Apple With New Lawsuit Targeting iPhone and iPad 3G

111232-nokia.jpg

Nokia today announced that it has filed a new lawsuit against Apple alleging patent infringement by the company's iPhone and 3G-capable iPad products.
Nokia announced that it has today filed a complaint against Apple with the Federal District Court in the Western District of Wisconsin, alleging that Apple iPhone and iPad 3G products infringe five important Nokia patents.

The patents in question relate to technologies for enhanced speech and data transmission, using positioning data in applications and innovations in antenna configurations that improve performance and save space, allowing smaller and more compact devices. These patented innovations are important to Nokia's success as they allow improved product performance and design.
Nokia first filed suit against Apple in October 2009 alleging infringement of its patents by the iPhone, and later increased the scope of its claims to include "virtually all" Apple products. Apple has fought back with lawsuits and International Trade Commission complaints of its own as the two companies continue to fight for position in the competitive mobile phone industry.

Article Link: Nokia Broadens Attack on Apple With New Lawsuit Targeting iPhone and iPad 3G

JediZenMaster

Suspended
Mar 28, 2010
Seattle
Well what's strange is that other companies have reproduced apple like features in their smartphones as well. So if Apple truly infringed on Nokia's patents then why are they not going after HTC and other makers as well?

Kevlar

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2004
Great White North
Well what's strange is that other companies have reproduced apple like features in their smartphones as well. So if Apple truly infringed on Nokia's patents then why are they not going after HTC and other makers as well?

Other companies supposedly license certain GSM patents from Nokia. Supposedly in the licensing negotiations with Apple, Nokia also wanted licensing of some of apple's patents in the deal. Apple refused. Or at least that's the points I remember from Oct. The Nokia vs Apple lawsuit is based around GSM patents.

patrick0brien

macrumors 68040
Oct 24, 2002
The West Loop
It's all about how well the Claims portion of the patent is defendable. Anybody have links to the patens in question?

Barring that, I do detect the distinct stench of SCO here...

Vol7ron

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2009
Derry, NH
Seriously, this is just getting old now. Everyone and their grandma are claiming patent infringements on the iPhone. Nokia must be getting worried that their market share is going to fall.

BuddyTronic

macrumors 68000
Jul 11, 2008
Nokia patent lawsuits eh?

Good luck with that.

Meanwhile, Nokia shareholders are wondering why Nokia Executives have been sitting and watching as their once dominant position in cell phones is vaporized.

thatisme

macrumors 6502
Mar 23, 2010
United States
just buy them out already, Apple.

From the Nokia presser -- "Nokia has invested approximately EUR 40 billion in research and development and built one of the wireless industry's strongest and broadest IPR portfolios, with over 11,000 patent families."

So, buy them out, take the "portfolio", then put the squeeze on HTC, Motorola, et al....

jaw04005

macrumors 601
Aug 19, 2003
AR
I’m always fascinated by the court venue they decide to file their complaint in. The Federal District Court in the Western District of Wisconsin, really why?

Adokimus

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2007
Boston, MA
Hypocracy

I love how the majority of people here uprank and approve of Apple suing HTC and Google and everyone else under the sun, and going so far as to patent the iphone's external design (should be a copyright) and patent using more than one finger on a screen, and then, when another company does EXACTLY the same thing back to them, the majority call foul...

Keep drinking that Koolaid.

I don't blame any of these companies as much as I blame a broken patent system.

HLdan

macrumors 603
Aug 22, 2007
I'm so sick of these companies that feel the need to sue Apple over infringement. I just have to wonder if this was Apple back in 1999 with an iPhone would Nokia be pulling this crap? They're just annoyed because the droid and their app store isn't catching up rapidly enough to the iPhone and the iTunes app store. I have a couple of friends who bought the droid and are sorry they did. The droid app store doesn't have the same good quality of apps as what can be bought for the iPhone and the droid phone feels cheap.
GO AWAY NOKIA!

Padraig

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2005
just buy them out already, Apple.

From the Nokia presser -- "Nokia has invested approximately EUR 40 billion in research and development and built one of the wireless industry's strongest and broadest IPR portfolios, with over 11,000 patent families."

So, buy them out, take the "portfolio", then put the squeeze on HTC, Motorola, et al....

Apple's not that rich.

crees!

macrumors 68020
Jun 14, 2003
MD/VA/DC
I’m always fascinated by the court venue they decide to file their complaint in. The Federal District Court in the Western District of Wisconsin, really why?

Head over to AppleInsider. They'll remind you every damn time. It's got to the point where they might as well say the sky is blue and s*** stinks.

Tones2

macrumors 65816
Jan 8, 2009
So when Apple sues others for alledgedly violating one of their "generic" iPhone patents everyone applauds, but when others sue Apple for alledgedly violating one of their patents, everyone screams outrage. Do you guys realize how ridiculous you all are? :p

Bottom line is that none of us have the expertise to judge a patent lawsuit, so what's the point of all this except being a fanboy and blinding assuming everything that's "against Apple" is wrong and everything Apple does is right.

Personaly, I hate ALL patents that are not specfic in both concept and DETAILED EXECUTION. Patent law is mostly ridiculous, whether it's Apple's patents or anybody elses. And Apple is just as guilty of submitting patents that are just scribbled drawings of some generic "concept" that is mostly self-evident without any technical way to yet implement. This needs to be stopped.

Tony

longofest

Editor emeritus
Jul 10, 2003
Falls Church, VA
Meanwhile, Nokia shareholders are wondering why Nokia Executives have been sitting and watching as their once dominant position in cell phones is vaporized.

I wouldn't say it has vaporized... Nokia leads the competition in smartphones by a 2-1 ratio to it's closest competitor, RIM. Compared to Apple, Nokia leads 2.5 to 1.

In the cell phone industry, Nokia has for years been a big innovator, and with that, they have invented quite a lot of stuff. IMO, Nokia isn't trolling here... they're (possibly) legitimately protecting their IP. The legitimacy of the claims will be tested by the courts or they'll settle.

Of course, with Apple also being a big inventor, it would behoove Apple to also see if Nokia is borrowing some of their inventions to strengthen their stance.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.