Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

danny_w

macrumors 601
Mar 8, 2005
Cumming, GA
copy or original...who cares. The thing will work nearly as well as an iPhone since they are stealing all the innovation anyways. What will the difference be? Oh yeh, it will be unlocked and 3G. Sign me up please.
Who says they are stealing? It is extremely unlikely that Apple came up with the iPhone all by themselves without some outside help (maybe the concept but not the entire phone), and it is very likely that Nokia provided that outside help. I know that concept will be unpopular on these boards, but so be it.

-Trinity-

macrumors newbie
Aug 30, 2007
im homosexual already honey, i ain't be need'n those queer eye guys for no fashion tips *snaaaap*.

if everyone followed your logic about only using gadgets and computers that can get the job done, all designers (graphics designers, technical designers, etc.) would be out of the job, and everyone would still have big boxy PCs instead of paying for the more expensive, better looking, easier to use, luxurious macs :)

sex sells honey...

Ok. Good for you! You might wanna wait until Apple releases the Totally Gay model of the iPhone. I heard that it's going to be pink with glittering edges.

Some people like to get creative by themselves. I pimped my PDA UI because the stock UI is just horrible. Too bad that you cannot set a big rainbow as your iPhone background. That black background is just... not gay.

SPUY767

macrumors 68020
Jun 22, 2003
GA
Get real Fan Boi. Nokia have nothing to be scared about.

In Q2 2007 ... Nokia sold 34 MILLION Symbian based phones.. thats not including any other Nokia phones, i.e., 'basic' Series40 phones ( that have more functionality than iPhone, and cheaper ).

And your saying Nokia are runinng scared.

ROTFL.

HELLO. EARTH CALLING BHOUSE.

you and other people need to get things into perspective: Apple are not going to over take / threaten Nokia any year soon.

http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/news/item/5812_346_million_Symbian_OS_handset.php

Stella, seriously, stop calling everyone a fanboy at every turn. You do a fair amount of trolling yourself. Besides, this is MacRumors, so I think we can forgive a little Apple bias.

vassillios

macrumors 6502
Feb 1, 2005
Virginia
did you check out the realted videos...

how about the guy in the glasses who completely talks over the apple guy? what a piece of work...doesn't even let the guy talk....piece of ****

oh yeah..and in the title...it shoule read "....related...."

ruutiveijari

macrumors regular
Dec 11, 2005
Hellsinki
Has nokia EVER had a product that truly revolutionized the industry that it dominates (for now)?

No.
That's a bold statement to make. So lets begin.

1. Worlds first NMT car phone, Mobira Talkman
2. Worlds first NMT hand held phone, Mobira Cityman
3. Europes first digital switchboard, the DX200
4. Introduced the worlds first digital GSM phone
5. Worlds first GSM phone call was made with a Nokia in Finland
6. Provided the worlds first GSM 1800 network
7. Provided the four first TETRA-systems in the world

And that's just up to 1997. I could go on (HSCSD, SyncML, worlds first 3G WCDMA call...)

clevin

macrumors G3
Aug 6, 2006
I bet there are so many patients on the iPhone and bet this phone has violated a lot of them...

funny apple had to answer so many problem with their own copyright infringement cases itself. (rip off inde artists in its ads, using name w/o reach agreement with its rightful owner, etc)

and since so many people have already called so many other companies' product as "copycats", why I haven't read any cases about apple suing anybody about iPhone?

your "bet" isn't that solid as you think. maybe because apple didn't actually invent that many things as you think...

darthcoder

macrumors newbie
Apr 11, 2005
What a joke!

It is clear that (if this is from Nokia) that Nokia has licensed the video chipset from Samsung or Broadcom(?) that Apple uses. The demo is showing off the builtin in chip functionality. The disturbing part is the phone actually looks like an iphone (i.e. the physical size of the black parts, etc.)

If this is from Nokia then it could be a problem

mozmac

macrumors 6502
Apr 28, 2005
Austin, TX
I actually think it's pretty sweet. I love Nokia phones and would love to see an iPhone competitor like this. It's a little too close to the iPhone look, but I would love for them to come out with a phone with similar functionality.

suneohair

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2006
What?

The Nokia does look like it could have been put together in 8 months.

Nothing fanboi-ish there, just a basic observation.

But of course the iPhone could not have been put together in that much time? They fact that they were working on things (namely multitouch) does not mean they had a phone in mind nor a form factor for that phone before seing the LG.

And I don't see how when can judge how long it took to put together from seeing a 10 second clip.

If the Nokia offers more features that are comparable it could most assuredly take off. For every person who loves Apple there *probably* at least 2 who don't (and that is being modest), and those people are ready to buy the first thing like an iPhone just to go against the grain.

inkswamp

macrumors 68030
Jan 26, 2003
I see the Apple fan bois and apologists are out in force.

Every company copies from any one else...

..well, except Apple..

Explain what you mean when you say "copy." You're painting with a very wide brush. When a company takes ideas that already exist and just duplicates them, then it's copying. When you take ideas that already exist and build on them to create something new or take it to its next logical step, then it's not really the same. Do you understand that distinction or are you just trying to cause trouble?

On the iPhone you can't even have your own custom ring tones.

Unbelievably:
you pay FULL PRICE for your iPhone and Apple STILL dictates what cell network you USE!!!!

How Retarded is that?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wow, all those exclamation points really help make your point. :rolleyes:

The iPhone is a first rev from a company that has never made a smart phone before. I'd say it's hardly surprising that there will be some obvious features missing or some serious gaffes. Look at the first couple versions of OS X. 10.0 and 10.1 were almost useless, but look where things have gone. If Apple doesn't address those gripes in the next rev or two of the iPhone, then maybe you'll have a point, but until then, it sounds ridiculous to talk like that.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
The key factor here (if this is not a hoax) is: it's not available until some time in 2008. (Just in time to compete with iPhone 2 maybe?)

Nokia copied not just in part, not just certain elements, but in a BROAD way. Apple has never sunk so far. All small touchscreen devices will have SOME similarity. That doesn't mean the iPhone copies them all the way Nokia has just admitted to copying the iPhone design.

The iPhone isn't an "obvious design that anyone could have done." It LOOKS obvious AFTER it was done--like so many Apple products--because Apple has some great industrial designers and a great approach to usability and user-centric design.

So why didn't Nokia have this BEFORE the iPhone? Why didn't they show off their TRUE expertise (if they can manage to) by showing off something ORIGINAL that improves on the iPhone design?

Because it's actually not that easy. See also: 2008.

fryingpants

macrumors newbie
Jul 12, 2007
Competition Benefits

I see this as great for iPhone users. Once there's real iPhone competition from Nokia and others then we will have more features and services available sooner than later.

On a side note, I find it interesting that Nokia's demo is primarily done so with one hand -- and with long fingernails, too.

Darkroom

Dec 15, 2006
Montréal, Canada
Ok. Good for you! You might wanna wait until Apple releases the Totally Gay model of the iPhone. I heard that it's going to be pink with glittering edges.

Some people like to get creative by themselves. I pimped my PDA UI because the stock UI is just horrible. Too bad that you cannot set a big rainbow as your iPhone background. That black background is just... not gay.

black is fabbbuullloousss!! *SNNNAAAPPP*

hahahahha

actually, for real... that whole gay-party-fun-boi aesthetic is lame... i'm gay, but i'm not "hand-bag-full-of-rainbows" gay...

anyway, my point all along is that the iphones design is very strong... it's modern (well, some could argue that the whole metal+glass thing is a few years ago), but it's also subtle... being subtle is not always the easiest thing to accomplish, but apple's designers seem to accomplish it time and time again.

MacQuest

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2003
You See Dead People...
That's a bold statement to make. So lets begin.

1. Worlds first NMT car phone, Mobira Talkman
2. Worlds first NMT hand held phone, Mobira Cityman
3. Europes first digital switchboard, the DX200
4. Introduced the worlds first digital GSM phone
5. Worlds first GSM phone call was made with a Nokia in Finland
6. Provided the worlds first GSM 1800 network
7. Provided the four first TETRA-systems in the world

And that's just up to 1997. I could go on (HSCSD, SyncML, worlds first 3G WCDMA call...)

My apologies then for not having looked into nokia's history pre-this millenium.

However I did actually mean ground-breaking/game-changing innovations specifically in the mobile phone market in the past 5-7 years.

The bottom line is Apple has just introduced a revolutionary new way to interface with technology on the level of, let's say, if a car company introduced a car that doesn't reqquire a steering wheel.

An actual working car right now, not talking about a prototype knock-off like nokia's.

Your comparisons are equivalent to saying that nokia invented the wheel.

Yeah, but Apple figured out how to roll it.

MacQuest

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2003
You See Dead People...
Darkroom said:
oh this reminds me of the late 90s when that "eMachine" (blatant iMac clone) surfaced...

i smell a lawsuit...

Ummm. Michael Spindler licenced Mac OS to several companies and allowed them to use Apple ROMS in order to create a "mock" clone. They were licensed (and paid a hefty price to Apple) to do so. More info here.

Seriously Squonk, think and/or research before you post.

"In 1999, Apple successfully sued eMachines, whose eOne too closely resembled the then-new iMac's trade dress.[23] The eOne was taken off the market, resulting in huge losses for eMachines."

Apple v. eMachines

Most of us know about the short-lived Mac clone era that extended under Gil Amelio's "guidance" (or lack therof) to companies like Motorola, Umax, PowerComputing, etc. However, the post you responded to was talking about eMachines' blatantly illegal, non-Apple approved look alike computers of the original iMacs that were marketed a couple of years after SJ (THANKFULLY) killed the Mac clone program.

EDIT:

I see SPUY767 called you on your irrelevant, poorly researched BS before I could -

What does that have to do with anything. The clone era was ended by Jobs before the iMac was released, and before eMachines copied it.

ruutiveijari

macrumors regular
Dec 11, 2005
Hellsinki
My apologies then for not having looked into nokia's history pre-this millenium.

However I did actually mean ground-breaking/game-changing innovations specifically in the mobile phone market in the past 5-7 years.
Ok. So lets continue.

1, One of SyncML founders and introduced the first SyncML device.
2. First GPRS connection between two countries
3. First MMS capable device
4. First 3G WCDMA call in a commercial 3PPP system
5. First CDMA2000 data transfer
6. First EDGE-WCDMA 3G data transfer
7. First NFC (Near Field Communication) device

That's a few from this millenniumn. Nokia invented the wheel, invented how to roll it, call with it, send data with it. Apple invented how to paint it with pretty colors.

MacQuest

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2003
You See Dead People...
Ok. So lets continue.

1, One of SyncML founders and introduced the first SyncML device.
2. First GPRS connection between two countries
3. First MMS capable device
4. First 3G WCDMA call in a commercial 3PPP system
5. First CDMA2000 data transfer
6. First EDGE-WCDMA 3G data transfer
7. First NFC (Near Field Communication) device

That's a few from this millenniumn. Nokia invented the wheel, invented how to roll it, call with it, send data with it. Apple invented how to paint it with pretty colors.

You're right.

Nokia has taken a lot of important baby steps, and each step should be applauded because the baby needs to be encouraged so that it can one day stand up and walk.

Meanwhile, Apple has stood up, is already walking, and is now staring down at the nokia phone baby that is holding it's arms up in the hopes to be picked up by, and ultimately somewhat similar to it's senior Apple iPhone sibling, but for now is still just sitting and crawling around in it's diaper filled with number 1 and number 2 "achievements."

Apple has re-invented the stale mobile phone game that nokia was the stale king of. The king was caught off guard by assuming that his kingdom was under his control and not looking beyond his kingdom's walls to see what the "outsiders" were up to.

Apple stormed the gates with a brand new touch input technology, and now the overthrown king is trying to save face by developing a similar looking technology (that is far from being nearly as well implemented across a product line like Mac OS X is in Apple's products now... do you get that it's about the OS yet? ... symbian pales in comparison btw - just drop the "m" from the name and start making sex toys) that will fall flat on it's face even if it were available now like the iPhone is.

nokia might be ready to take on the current iPhone in 2008, but we'll have the 2nd, maybe even 3rd generation (depending on an early/mid or mid/late '08 release for nokia's "LiePhone") iPhone by then.

So I guess we'll see nokia clawing and scraping to catch up to '08's iPhone sometime in '09.

Good luck! (you're gonna need it)

Btw, where's your behind? Oh yeah, Apple's coming to hand it to you as we speak.

That wasn't a joke either.

Once Apple's touch input patents that have already been filed are approved, say hello to patent infringement fines and licensing fees nokia!

-Trinity-

macrumors newbie
Aug 30, 2007
You're right, nokia has had a lot of baby steps, and each step should be applauded because the baby needs to be encouraged so that it can one day stand up and walk.

Baby steps?!? Nokia built the whole infrastructure that the iPhone is build on. Did you know that Nokia makes lot of other things than phones. Like whole mobile network infrastructures. Without Nokia the iPhone wouldn't exist (or it just would be crappy iPod without communication abilities). Apple just took the existing standards, spesifications, components and put them together.

Apple stormed the gates with a brand new touch input technology

WHAT!?! Yeah really brand new. Touchscreens are so old thing in mobile world. Oldest touchscreen phone that I remember was some Ericsson model with black&white screen and it was released in mid 90's. Apple just put bigger icons on the touchscreen. Nothing new there. Car GPS devices had this for years. And didn't you read my earlier post? MyOrigo did the whole finger use, touchscreen, big icons, easy to use, tilt sensor thing four years before the iPhone was released.

Let me put it more clearly: The iPhone is copy of MyOrigo.

And the fluid srcoll thing was also done before apple "invented" it. Apple may be the first one to implement the multitouch, but this is so stupid thing anyways. What are the real benefits of multitouch? To be able make akward two handed zooms? I guess Apple has never heard of scrollwheel. My Phone has scrollwheel right under my thumb and I can make same thing with one hand that requires two hands with iPhone.

What Apple has invented is false advertising with hype. "Full internet" and "5 years ahead". Yeah right...

needthephone

macrumors 6502a
Apr 4, 2006
sydney
The thing people are missing is that up until apple mobile phone GUI have been half baked and difficult to use. I have a nokia 6280 and it is horrible to use. It is buggy ( I am honestly on my third and it still crashes, I am not an apple fan boy, whatever that means, I just want good products that work.) and the mp3 player is virtually useless. I still had to buy a shuffle as this doesn't work for my runs. Nokia are probably the best of the traditional mobile makers though. Until apple raised the bar they could churn out rubbish again and again. I am so dissapointed by my 6280 that I have vowed never to buy Nokia again (or Sony Ericcson, or LG). They have no design flair either either, Nokia's industrial design is horrible until they start copying Jonny Ives that is. I'll keep my 6280 until the iphone comes out over here in Aus. Although I live in Australia the best design at the moment is coming from the UK (where apples ID chief comes from) Have you seen the new Jaguar-gorgeous.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.