Notch Solution

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Blazinbell, Sep 13, 2017.

1. AssassuN macrumors newbie

For videos, there is a black bar on both sides
    All those video demoes showed it zoomed in, you can just double tap to zoom out again and the notch won't cut into the video

2. DNichter macrumors 68020

DNichter

Agree with this. Every product created isn’t for everyone. I like the notch and think it’s a unique design.

3. zipster macrumors 6502

4. bryanc28 macrumors 6502

bryanc28

5. edfoo macrumors regular

Hehe spoke like a true Apple fanboi, calling every thing and fault as design or feature :D

6. chfilm macrumors 65816

chfilm

Oh really? That's great to hear!! And about photos?

7. redbeard331 macrumors 6502a

redbeard331

That’s what I was thinking, wouldn’t any wallpaper that’s black up top hide the notch people are so angry about?

8. Relentless Power macrumors G5

Relentless Power

Not sure how that pertains to a fanboy comment. That member strictly commented that they personally liked the notch. I don't see anything wrong with that statement. Its personal preference.

9. edfoo macrumors regular

Note the smiley. It's a tongue-in-the-cheek comment. There has been a saying (joke) for some times now Apple official can spin every flaw and fault around, calling them design or feature :D

10. NovemberWhiskey macrumors 68030

NovemberWhiskey

C'mon. While personal preference, if you genuinely like the notch, you have something wrong with you.

I can understand being ok with it. And I can understand that you like that it makes the screen appear larger and edge to edge.

I hate it, but I will likely upgrade to the X anyways and live with it. I get that some people simply don't see it as a problem. But to say they like it, like it is a preference...that's really too much.

There is such a thing as an objective standard in aesthetic design. And the notch is one of the most objectively poorly designed things I've seen in a while.

The notch is the result of one thing: technological ambition cut short by technological limitations. If Apple could have designed the screen without the notch (sensors/cameras/speakers under the glass invisible to the naked eye), they would have done so. They could not, and some executive decided that Apple must have the screen reach all the corners, so they chose this outcome.

They decided it was so important to have E2E, that they even sacrificed the home button, TouchID, spent more money developing FaceID, and likely pushed the release back to November.

That one thing, E2E OLED, caused the iPhone to get flipped on its head, not to mention the increase in price. It's really quite shocking how much was forced to be changed for it.

11. Newtons Apple macrumors G5

Newtons Apple

It amazes me how the "notch" disturbs so many.

12. CD3660 macrumors 68040

CD3660

I'm not sure why. It's an aesthetic disaster! :eek:

13. Paulshaqz macrumors 6502a

i'm sure a lot of people emailed Tim about how hideous the notch is the only thing i can say is like it or not its there its gonna be one of the popular xmas gifts for the year... and as far as tho's hate emails sent to Tim hopefully the design team can do a better job next year... i mean hay one can only hope right?

14. NovemberWhiskey macrumors 68030

NovemberWhiskey

Why does it amaze you? It's an objectively bad design. Not only aesthetically, but functionally wherein content is cut off in full screen games, apps, photos, videos, etc.

No one really prefers the notch as I have explained above. If I gave you the choice of a full OLED screen without a notch, or one with it, you would not choose the latter. Apple wouldn't choose the latter.

The notch is the result of technological ambition, cut short by what we are currently capable of achieving.

If this many people are complaining about it, including Apple loyalists like me, that should tell you something. It's a hole in your display. It's a hole in your content. We've seen game controls cut off by the notch for goodness sake.

This may even be worse than the Halos that are about to be introduced to F1. And in that case too, there was another obvious solution (closed cockpit) that could have been implemented to better achieve the desired result.

At the very least, Apple should give users two display options: one with the notch, and one without like in the mockups (where the cell signal, time, etc. are white on a black background). That way, users can choose what they want.

15. Relentless Power macrumors G5

Relentless Power

From the perspective when somebody says they like the notch, I don't think they're literally stating "They like the notch", they just don't personally have a gripe with it being intrusive or distracting as others are claiming that they have. Furthermore, we understand the purpose of the notch is to do two things, it maximizes the display and it houses the sensors. Most of us, are not engineers or where we can fully understand the reason why Apple fully decided to implement the notch in the display. To mention, I think it's fair to say they likely were experimenting with three or four designs before they finalized the notch. So it's not like this was their sole purpose based off of one consideration.

I'm not sure what lead you to the conclusion that Apple could have possibly embedded the sensors under the display, we don't even know if that was a mere possibility, especially since this is the first OLED display Apple is using.

But aside from all the engineering capabilities that Many do not have a complete understanding of, I for one never had an issue with the notch, even when I said it was going to exist six months ago. It's strictly preference of somebody is agitated by it or can use the iPhone as they normally would without being distracted.

But in retrospect, not everybody's going to agree with every physical feature the iPhone has. It's just how it is. Next year Apple will re-design or introduce something different, and then you're going to have those you complain about that. It's how it is. Others can embrace the notch or take advantage of the iPhone lineup that offers something different.

16. Newtons Apple macrumors G5

Newtons Apple

Same type arguments every introduction.

The notch is a non-issue to me. Sorry it is for you.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 14, 2017 at 3:47 AM ---
    YOUR opinion. I would say the majority are not bothered by it.

17. Relentless Power macrumors G5

Relentless Power

As an Apple loyalist, my opinion differs from yours, I personally don't have an issue with the notch. But that goes to show you, every personal preference is going to vary. Regardless of what you consider a poor design, that doesn't mean it affects the capabilities of the intended functions of the notch.

Also, in your last paragraph, you stated Apple should give users two display options with the notch and one without. Apple can't meet everybody's expectations and conform to what what we want. That's not possible. That's like me raising an issue with another Apple product and stating that Apple should give us a secondary option altering one feature for another. I mean that's not physically possible for Apple to do that with every feature because of what somebody disapproves of. Again, either you support the product and choose to accept the way it is or you have other options. But I see these superficial demands where is it expected to Apple should redirect their focus to what every single iPhone user wants? That's asinine.

18. CD3660 macrumors 68040

CD3660

Yes, my opinion, for what it's worth.

I don't know how many people share my opinion but I very much doubt that many would choose this aspect of the design if given the option.

19. Newtons Apple macrumors G5

Newtons Apple

Yes, my opinion, for what it's worth.

I don't know how many people share my opinion but I very much doubt that many would choose this aspect of the design if given the option.[/QUOTE]

Like I said for some they can't stand it. Others it will not bother. It is the way it always has been.

Not much that can be done, the X will not change, it is what it is.

20. NovemberWhiskey, Sep 14, 2017 at 4:23 AM
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2017 at 4:31 AM

NovemberWhiskey macrumors 68030

NovemberWhiskey

Nice straw man. It's not to redirect their focus to every single iPhone user. It's to provide two options to people, like they do with many of their products. You can choose white or black (or even gold and rose gold). You can choose to have night shift and true tone on or off. You will be able to customize your control center in ios11.

If this many people have an issue with the notch/ears, as I am sure many meetings were held and many arguments were had over it in development, you can present two options which can be achieved via software.

On our MacBooks they even allow us to calibrate our screens to our liking, choose our resolutions, etc.

There is nothing asinine about it except the argument that providing the two options would be "catering to every single iPhone user in the world."

People that hate the notch have presented very good reasons for doing so (e.g. it cuts off content). People that have no problem with it have not, except to say that it doesn't bother them. And that's fine with me. If it doesn't bother you, that's good. But when they try to rebut the very reasonable arguments made by the critics, it really doesn't make much sense.

It's true, your opinion is your opinion, although it's very likely influenced by your love for Apple (be honest, if this were put out by Samsung or LG, you would have a field day with it). But there are objective problems here that you cannot argue with.

You act as if we are attacking you personally. But you should be aware that you are in a thread about a software solution to the notch, and you are trying to rebut everyone's reason for wanting one with "it doesn't bother me, because my opinion is my opinion." I don't see how it adds to the discussion of a software solution to the notch.

21. Mildredop macrumors 68020

I really hope it doesn't become an Apple trademark. If they start including notches on iPads, MacBooks and iMacs I will be very unhappy indeed.

22. NovemberWhiskey macrumors 68030

NovemberWhiskey

They didn't do it because they wanted to. They did it because they had to put the sensors/camera/speaker somewhere and do not have the tech to do it under the OLED panel making it invisible to the naked eye.

They would not have included a notch if they had the technology/choice. It's not making its way elsewhere unless they face similar limitations and goals to go E2E

23. Zune55 macrumors 6502

Because of this notch issue there's a big crowd gathering tomorrow 7PM EST sharp outside Trump Tower NY to protest. 4000 people has already signed up, if you are interested signup ASAP.

24. cableguy84 macrumors 6502a

cableguy84

No more notch! No more notch!

25. HolyGrail, Sep 14, 2017 at 4:48 AM
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2017 at 4:58 AM

HolyGrail macrumors 6502

HolyGrail

Why stop there? Lets put the Apple logo right below the notch. I mean its the true Apple signature. It will remind us how its better to not a have a uniformed screen. Maybe the next iPhone screen can be in the shape of an outline of a apple.