Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NovemberWhiskey

macrumors 68040
May 18, 2009
thats how it should look

I'm not sure why those mock ups cut some off the bottom too. It's not necessary to take care of the notch, and it makes the solution on the right look not as good because the screen looks much smaller with portions missing on the top and bottom

geoffm33

macrumors 6502
Dec 27, 2010
thats how it should look
[doublepost=1505396638][/doublepost]
the majority of the population doesn't care about design that is true.

Thanks for the honest answer. If Apple were creating a display for the NY Museum of Modern Art then they probably would have made a different design decision than a electronics device for the masses.

x-evil-x

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
Thanks for the honest answer. If Apple were creating a display for the NY Museum of Modern Art then they probably would have made a different design decision than a electronics device for the masses.
I hate calling Steve back from the grave but he was the one that understood what I'm saying. He understood angles and making things even and matching.
thats what apple WAS. It hasn't been that apple for a while now. Especially with this phone.
Thats what apple was known for. Pleasing design. They have a huge design team that makes things look "pretty" and "right" I don't know how it went this far...
This isn't some knock off company

madgalaxy

macrumors regular
Apr 11, 2015
It is a design choice that Apple made and for my personally I am fine with it. If everyone had the same taste in design life would be pretty boring. For those that do not care for it, let Apple know by NOT opening your wallet to buy it.

Reactions: redbeard331

geoffm33

macrumors 6502
Dec 27, 2010
I hate calling Steve back from the grave but he was the one that understood what I'm saying. He understood angles and making things even and matching.
thats what apple WAS. It hasn't been that apple for a while now. Especially with this phone.
Thats what apple was known for. Pleasing design. They have a huge design team that makes things look "pretty" and "right" I don't know how it went this far...
This isn't some knock off company

I'm mostly playing devil's advocate here, I agree with what you are saying. That being said I have no self control and will probably buy it anyway. :(

x-evil-x

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
I really hope this of all phones is jailbreakable. I didn't care much with my 7+ but this phone really needs it for some custom looks

NovemberWhiskey

macrumors 68040
May 18, 2009
This thread is about solutions for the notch. Not about people repeating themselves over and over about how they are personally fine with the notch, as if their personal opinion rebuts all the legitimate criticism for it (e.g. Functional limitations wherein content is blocked in full screen).

It is not simply a matter of "don't buy it if you don't like it." Apple won't get that message. That is the same type of thing nationalists say to people who criticize aspects of a country: "if you don't like it, get out/go home." And I'll bet you that the same psychological underpinnings of that nationalism are the same as those of fanboyism.

I for one am an Apple loyalist. I'm committed to their ecosystem, and own the iPhone, iPad, MacBook Pro, AirPods, etc.

x-evil-x

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
This thread is about solutions for the notch. Not about people repeating themselves over and over about how they are personally fine with the notch, as if their personal opinion rebuts all the legitimate criticism for it (e.g. Functional limitations wherein content is blocked in full screen).

It is not simply a matter of "don't buy it if you don't like it." Apple won't get that message. That is the same type of thing nationalists say to people who criticize aspects of a country: "if you don't like it, get out/go home." And I'll bet you that the same psychological underpinnings of that nationalism are the same as those of fanboyism.

I for one am an Apple loyalist. I'm committed to their ecosystem, and own the iPhone, iPad, MacBook Pro, AirPods, etc.
so how will peoples voice get heard?

NovemberWhiskey

macrumors 68040
May 18, 2009
so how will peoples voice get heard?

Someone's personal opinion that they are fine with the notch adds nothing new to the discussion of "solutions for the notch". This is not a thread/poll asking whether or not people like the notch.

Not only has it already been said, but we all know some people are fine with it. It adds nothing to the discussion.

I will help everyone on that side: some people are fine with the notch and don't think any solution needs to be implemented.

Hopefully now we don't need 50 more people repeating the same thing clogging up the thread.

x-evil-x

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
Someone's personal opinion that they are fine with the notch adds nothing new to the discussion of "solutions for the notch". This is not a thread/poll asking whether or not people like the notch.

Not only has it already been said, but we all know some people are fine with it. It adds nothing to the discussion.

I will help everyone on that side: some people are fine with the notch and don't think any solution needs to be implemented.

Hopefully now we don't need 50 more people repeating the same thing clogging up the thread.
I didn't mean with people in this thread I meant how will peoples voice get heard from apple about their design choice if people just don't buy it

Nozuka

macrumors 68040
Jul 3, 2012
The notch only bothers me for landscape usage (videos and photos, in my case). they just need to give me an option to turn off filling out the notch for these.

NovemberWhiskey

macrumors 68040
May 18, 2009
I didn't mean with people in this thread I meant how will peoples voice get heard from apple about their design choice if people just don't buy it

I think you may be mixing me up with someone else. Because we seem to be agreeing on a lot of points.

I agree: not buying the iPhone X will not get any message to Apple.

Why? Because they will sell out regardless if you, me, or everyone in this thread don't buy it.

Again, it's the same rhetoric as "if you don't like this country, then go home" "if you don't like the product, don't buy it."

It's being a fanboy.

Ironically, what the aim of this thread is, is to discuss a solution to the notch. And a lot of people keep trying to rebut that with their opinion that the notch doesn't bother them.

I think what many of us want are good mockups/ideas that hopefully make their way to Apple somehow at the best, and at the worst just indulge our fantasies.

x-evil-x

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
I'm not sure why those mock ups cut some off the bottom too. It's not necessary to take care of the notch, and it makes the solution on the right look not as good because the screen looks much smaller with portions missing on the top and bottom
the same reason why iPhones on the front have always looked symmetrical. Why the s8/notes look symmetrical on the front too. To make it even on bottom and top instead of just a top gap

iScone

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2014
Melbourne, Australia
The notch is a great example of the internet freaking out over a non-issue. Ten minutes in, you'll have forgotten what the fuss was about. Photos and video aren't impacted by the notch at all unless you expand them to the point you're cropping the whole thing, which you wouldn't do.

SuprUsrStan

macrumors 6502a
Apr 15, 2010
I don't know if you guys have seen this but this is the guideline to developers about how to program for the notch

https://developer.apple.com/ios/human-interface-guidelines/overview/iphone-x/

https://developer.apple.com/videos/play/fall2017/801/

Basically, when displaying content, there is a safe area that is meant for content which is defined below.

Capture.png

They did kind of caution against doing something like this because it is "less immersive" makes the viewing area seem smaller when you get rid of the notch that way.

Don't mask or call special attention to key display features. Don't attempt to hide the device's rounded corners, sensor housing, or indicator for accessing the Home screen by placing black bars at the top and bottom of the screen. Don't use visual adornments like brackets, bezels, shapes, or instructional text to call special attention to these areas either.

fixed-jpg.717464

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: MEJHarrison

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
]so developers are going to find a solution for something intentional on Apple’s part. Sigh. The world gets dumber every day. Good luck with any of these solutions passing App Store review.
[doublepost=1505408582][/doublepost]
And if invested in iOS, buy what instead? The same old 3 year old phone? Or wait until Apple catches up?

When you sell your experience on the complete UI experience you need to make sure your input method is acceptable to all who invest.
Buy an 8. Has the latest tech inside with no notch.

mackinmike

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2012
And if invested in iOS, buy what instead? The same old 3 year old phone? Or wait until Apple catches up?

When you sell your experience on the complete UI experience you need to make sure your input method is acceptable to all who invest.

Cut your loss and look at open solutions. From the industry I come from, it's called vendor lock-in. Big webscale companies are never vendor locked because they know they'll have to bendover.

Reactions: Demo Kit

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
No, the masses are saying "do something different, but don't make it ugly."
Which means replace hardware bezels with software bezels or make the phone look like a G6 or an S8. And then everyone can come here and complain about how Apple is ripping off LG and Samsung.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.