Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lindyman77

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 9, 2017
Super weird issue going on. Upgraded my 13" 2011 MBP with a Samsung 840 Pro SSD to High Sierra. (Automatically upgraded to APFS with TRIM enabled) Last night it wouldn't boot showing only a flashing folder/question mark. Did all of the usual stuff PRAM, Recovery Mode, repaired permissions, etc. Nothing worked; it just won't boot.

Took the drive out of the machine and put it into a USB enclosure to see if it would boot externally and it does! I have verified that there is nothing wrong with the drive. I can boot it when it is attached to the machine externally and use it as normal. I can even make it the startup disk when external and it works flawlessly.

As SOON as I put it back into the machine, the computer says it can't find the startup disk. Has anyone ever come across this before or seen similar behavior with 3rd party SSD's??

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
I agree with the post above.
Could be the ribbon cable wearing out.
It's a cheap and easy fix.
Go to ifixit.com to see what's involved. You can order the replacement cable from them, or find it online.
BE SURE TO BUY AND USE THE RIGHT TOOLS.
(I think you need a Phillips #00 driver and a TORX T-6 driver)

green86

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2007
North Carolina
I agree with the post above.
Could be the ribbon cable wearing out.
It's a cheap and easy fix.
Go to ifixit.com to see what's involved. You can order the replacement cable from them, or find it online.
BE SURE TO BUY AND USE THE RIGHT TOOLS.
(I think you need a Phillips #00 driver and a TORX T-6 driver)

I see this problem multiple times a day. I agree, it is the cable.

lindyman77

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 9, 2017
Thanks all. I've tested this by putting in an older spinning media drive and was able to boot just fine??

ljonesj

macrumors 6502a
Oct 20, 2009
Kingsport TN
Could still be the cable some stuff is just finicky with stuff my 09 Mac mini would on any laptop ddr3 were my MacBook Pro mid 2010 would through a fit if any thing but a matched pair of mush kin was put in did not matter if it was junk in matched or Samsung it had to be mushkin

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.