Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

alexellwood

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 8, 2019
Melbourne, Australia
Hi. Sorry about not being on fora . while.
So I kinda wiped off the slots of the adapter and the drive, and now everything works fine.
I still don't know what's wrong though. Still happy, nonetheless. Thanks, though.

replicon1

macrumors newbie
Jun 17, 2019
Hi. Sorry about not being on fora . while.
So I kinda wiped off the slots of the adapter and the drive, and now everything works fine.
I still don't know what's wrong though. Still happy, nonetheless. Thanks, though.

Hi, can you explain a little more regarding what you did? What did you wipe the slots with and did you have to use tape on the adapter? I just received my Sintech adapter today and am getting kernal panic with a Sabrent 1tb SSD.

replicon1

macrumors newbie
Jun 17, 2019
It's a mid 2015 A3198 15.4" 2.8Ghz 16GB with the dual GPU. I had just spent the day getting it up to date by recovering it to Yosemite using an external drive and then upgrading to Mojave, I then recovered with the 1tb Sabrent to deploy Mojave with the new drive in place. At first it didn't recognise the drive at all. I reseated it, booted to the external and was able to initialize it with disk utility. Then I installed Mojave using recovery

Audit13

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2017
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
It's a mid 2015 A3198 15.4" 2.8Ghz 16GB with the dual GPU. I had just spent the day getting it up to date by recovering it to Yosemite using an external drive and then upgrading to Mojave, I then recovered with the 1tb Sabrent to deploy Mojave with the new drive in place. At first it didn't recognise the drive at all. I reseated it, booted to the external and was able to initialize it with disk utility. Then I installed Mojave using recovery
The short adapter is being used in the MacBook?

You upgraded to Mojave with the original SSD in the MacBook before installing the nvme and Mojave?

replicon1

macrumors newbie
Jun 17, 2019
The short adapter is being used in the MacBook?

You upgraded to Mojave with the original SSD in the MacBook before installing the nvme and Mojave?
Hi, apologies for the delay. No I didn't upgrade with the original adapter in place as it wasn't available. Is this step absolutely necessary? I booted from an external drives recovery in order to rebuild with Mojave.
Yes it's the short Sintech adapter. Although they have covered some of the exposed area with the insulation there are still some bare metal sections visible. Will this cause problems or is that normal?

Last edited:

Audit13

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2017
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Hi, apologies for the delay. No I didn't upgrade with the original adapter in place as it wasn't available. Is this step absolutely necessary? I booted from an external drives recovery in order to rebuild with Mojave.
Yes it's the short Sintech adapter. Although they have covered some of the exposed area with the insulation there are still some bare metal sections visible. Will this cause problems or is that normal?
Is the MacBook running the latest bootroom?

Yes, some of the pins are exposed on the earlier versions of the adapter while the later versions have solved this problem.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.