Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

supermariofan25

macrumors regular
Feb 7, 2011
Why not a more modern BYOD approach?
Security; letting officers personal devices have access to the police databases is probably a big No No and the NYPD would prefer to deploy devices that are locked down to their standards. That and the custom software packages that would be required to access the database, doubt that they would ever want to support that for all platforms. It’s more preferable to stick to one platform for simplicity.

yaxomoxay

macrumors 604
Mar 3, 2010
Texas
Security; letting officers personal devices have access to the police databases is probably a big No No and the NYPD would prefer to deploy devices that are locked down to their standards. That and the custom software packages that would be required to access the database, doubt that they would ever want to support that for all platforms. It’s more preferable to stick to one platform for simplicity.

There's another layer. Phones are used as evidence if needed, which means that an officer could end up without his/her own device until the end of whatever investigation. (Not only criminal investigations but also administrative investigations).

Reactions: jedifaka

akadafni

macrumors regular
Nov 8, 2015
This may be true for non-sensitive (data) applications controllable by MDMS. The police will run most of their applications in a secure bubble device independent environment (a kind of VM). Runs on all devices/ platforms.
Best to create an environment independent of vendor software update cycles. As a business you don't want to get stuck by non functioning apparatus simply because the manufacturer pulls the plug (because Tim or Lee wants you to buy a new device).
Clearly NYC and the NYPD weren't thinking of future proofing due to the fact they chose WINDOWS phones. Also many municipalities dont update their technology and software as rapidly as other types of organization. Allowing BYOD does not guarantee interoperability, software compatibility or future proofing. IMO

kdarling

macrumors P6
What an absolute waste of tax payer dollars to have choosen windows phones.

This is the type of clueless leadership that doesn't clearly think through how to future proof their technology requirements and better equip officers with stable and functional tools.

On the contrary, at the time they were no doubt believing Microsoft (and pundits) who were predicting that Windows 10 and Windows Phone would allow universal apps that ran on both laptops and phones.

That would've been very appealing from the dual standpoints of future proofing and saving money.

Reactions: SeanR1 and jedifaka

benroberts3

macrumors regular
Oct 18, 2012
Kansas City
On the contrary, at the time they were no doubt believing Microsoft (and pundits) who were predicting that Windows 10 and Windows Phone would allow universal apps that ran on both laptops and phones.

That would've been very appealing from the dual standpoints of future proofing and saving money.

This was a quote I saw from 9to5Mac:
"Law-enforcement sources blamed the boondoggle on NYPD Deputy Commissioner for Information Technology Jessica Tisch, with one saying, “She drove the whole process.”

“Nobody purchases 36,000 phones based on the judgment of one person,” a source said. “I don’t care if you’re Jesus <expletive> Christ; you get a panel of experts.”"

One person made this decision and screwed up the review process. She should have known better as the so called "tech expert" of the NYPD that a phone platform with a horrible market share compared to Android and iOS would eventually go defunct.

TheShadowKnows!

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2014
National Capital Region
Probably budget had some part on the decision by the NYPD.

But, from my enterprise experience, I place the blame squarely on: Untrained pseudo computer-science technicians.

These technicians rely solely on the Windows Domain, and on Windows deployments for the Enterprise.

Seldom do these technicians demonstrate solid skills, beyond Microsoft-centric courseware, and lack training on the foundation sciences of Computer Science.

Again, from my observations, these Enterprise IT "technicians" love anything that is stamped Microsoft, regardless of ease of end-use, ease of functional extensibility, and proven stability of the code.

Samples:
  1. Windows Domain and Federation
  2. Windows Sharepoint
  3. ...
  4. And now Windows Phone! <sigh>
These technicians are typically recalcitrant Microsoft fanboys, and drive blindly enterprise IT.

bjet767

Suspended
Oct 2, 2010
No the TAXPAYER pays twice

You do realize the lifespan of these devices is only 2-3 years and that include idevices.

You and I may get up to 5 years but normal use and tech improvements mean an organization must upgrade everyone rather than each individual when that time arrives.

Other than the Windows phone being dropped by MS there's nothing new going on here, three+ years of service is normal.

Wowereit

macrumors 6502a
Feb 1, 2016
Germany
The cheap man pays twice.

Equipment gets replaced on a fixed schedule, most electronics every 3 to 5 years.
If **** sucks, it sucks, nobody cares, you have to wait.
If your stuff is working great and doesn't need replacement, taxpayer money is still going to get wasted on something new when time has come.

There is a whole industry filling their pockets, so don't expect any changes.

salukimike

macrumors member
May 16, 2016
I think Xbox is owed a lot of credit for keeping Microsofts bankroll where it is, not windows.

Ha

Xbox gets reported in the "other" category in MSFT's financial statements because it's not large enough to qualify for its own segment for GAAP purposes.

The "Other" category generated a loss of over $7.7B in fiscal 2016. Meanwhile Windows generated $6.1B in profit.

Reactions: slu

dmylrea

macrumors 601
Sep 27, 2005
The article specifically mentioned the Windows phones were cheaper. Did you even read it?

Hence, if you go the cheap route, you'll pay more in the long run.

Actually, is doesn't say that they chose the phones because they were cheap, they chose Windows platform because it worked with their existing surveillance systems and databases. As it turned out, they were cheaper, but it seems better integration was the deciding factor (ie, able to roll out faster without having to start everything from scratch).

Reactions: SeanR1

xpxp2002

macrumors 65816
May 3, 2016
What is the name of this “secure bubble” software for mobile apps that you’re referring to? What sort of mobile VM is there that runs on all the mobile OS platforms?
Most MDM/EMM solutions include a containerization solution that separates corporate and personal data. These are dedicated apps that provide access to corporate email, file storage, etc.

This is done, not only to protect corporate data from loss/leakage out through the user's personal apps or services; but also to provide the ability to perform a "selective wipe" instead of having to factory reset the whole device should it be lost, stolen, or the employee leave the organization.

Here is Airwatch Container, the industry de-facto standard for MDM, containerization solution: https://www.air-watch.com/downloads/resources/airWatch_container_brochure.pdf

Reactions: slu and InfoTime

lowendlinux

macrumors 603
Sep 24, 2014
Germany
Equipment gets replaced on a fixed schedule, most electronics every 3 to 5 years.
If **** sucks, it sucks, nobody cares, you have to wait.
If your stuff is working great and doesn't need replacement, taxpayer money is still going to get wasted on something new when time has come.

There is a whole industry filling their pockets, so don't expect any changes.

As an office drone I'd like lifecycle replacement to just go away getting a new computer is jarring but I understand why they do it.

nt5672

macrumors 68040
Jun 30, 2007
Midwest USA
All I know is that if I was a criminal and I knew the local PD was using Windows phones I would be delighted. I sure the local organized crime folks could afford to pay for the hacking tools to keep a close eye on the local PD.

With Apple that will be a lot harder. I pity the local PD that uses Android. It would be interesting to know if any do?

Constable Odo

macrumors 6502
Mar 28, 2008
Actually, is doesn't say that they chose the phones because they were cheap, they chose Windows platform because it worked with their existing surveillance systems and databases. As it turned out, they were cheaper, but it seems better integration was the deciding factor (ie, able to roll out faster without having to start everything from scratch).

No one ever got fired for choosing Microsoft over Apple. If you want to keep your job, you play it safe. I have no doubt whoever made the decision is probably still insisting Windows Phone will be making a comeback. Good luck with that.

Actually, I'm surprised the NYPD didn't go with Samsung's Android smartphones as they're considered to give more bang for the buck than iPhones. But then again every Android smartphone is said to give more bang for the buck than an iPhone. NYC is known for being cheap when buying devices and services, and yet the money usually disappears down a black hole. I'm just thankful some Apple product was chosen this time around.

groovyd

Suspended
Jun 24, 2013
Atlanta
so lets say they switch to iPhones... does that mean they will upgrade the entire force every year to the next newer model up or do they keep them for a few years first?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.