o2 Twitter em!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Holty123, Jun 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Holty123 macrumors 6502

Holty123

O2 are very proud that they are now on Twitter...so tell them what we all think here in the UK of the buy out of contract prices!!!!!
    http://twitter.com/O2
    mine is £315 plus the price of the 3GS well i wont be first in the queue this year!

2. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

TBH, the buy out price is exactly what I was expecting: I entered into an 18 month contract when I bought my 3G and was fully aware that I would either have to wait until the end of the contract or pay it off to upgrade to any new phone that came out this year. We don't have the concept of an early termination fee here in the UK, so it was always going to be this.
    The other thing to remember is that if people do buy out of their contract to get the 3GS, they'll have to do it all again in 12 months time if they want the next iPhone as soon as it is released...
    Personally, if I do decide to upgrade (which I don't think I will), I'll probably go with the PAYG option and put my iPhone SIM into it - I'm not a big fan of long contracts and at least that way you know what you're paying :)

3. Holty123 thread starter macrumors 6502

Holty123

Good answer me to dont think i will need to get up at 5am this year!

4. macjock macrumors regular

A contract is a contract, before I phone you would have not been able to upgrade every time a new handset came out on your previous carrier. What makes you think it should be different now?

My gripe is that those of us who have now seen out our original 18 month contract are still being hammered price wise for a 3gs and even a 3g. A 2year contract is utterly obscene in the tech world

5. Holty123 thread starter macrumors 6502

Holty123

Downgrade

I urge everybody who has 9 months or more with O2 to downgrade your tariff i am going from £45 to £35 i think O2 have had enough money out of me! this might kick em up the harris

6. nerdish macrumors regular

I think an 18 month contract is absurd too, what ever happened to a good old 12 month contract?

7. Holty123 thread starter macrumors 6502

Holty123

Yes true a contract is a contract but you would think O2 would throw us a bone it's not like we can get it off Orange or TMobile plus they get our money for a further two years!

8. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

Ah, those were the days :)

I just wish Apple would sell an unlocked phone in the UK - I'd love to be able to separate my service provider from my hardware purchase...

9. macjock macrumors regular

2 years is too long and I won't be taking out a 2 year deal. 18 months was right at the limit, but when I did agree to 18 months I was also agreeing to pay my tariff with the phone I had for that length of time.

What happens next year when another new phone is released will you be wanting out of your contract then aswell. I'm in the same boat as you with regards the contracts being too long, just paddling on the opposite side.

I may be being simplistic, but if they offered the existing 3 g for free for 12 months or the 3gs for £99 for 18 months I think there would be people banging the doors down on the 19th.

Anyone agree?

10. instaxgirl macrumors 65816

instaxgirl

^This.

I'm starting to feel seriously sorry for the poor sods manning their Twitter, and even worse, their call centres. People are acting like their entitled to a free upgrade :rolleyes:

I think your 3GS price is maybe a bit low, but the 3G price was similar to what I was expecting, and I agree, a free 3G would have been SO popular, even on their crappy plans. Even if they dropped the payg price down a hundred quid they'd be in business.

11. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

I can't downgrade my £30 contract. :D

12. matttye macrumors 601

I just don't understand how they can justify charging £30+ more on PAYG for the iPhone 3GS than the N97, when it is severely lacking in hardware in comparison.

- No micro sd slot
    - No hardware keyboard
    - Only a 3mp camera (vs. 5mp camera with carl zeiss optics of n97)
    - No camera flash (vs. dual led of n97)
    - No front facing video camera
    - No FM radio

What the hell?! You're not telling me the software costs so much that it costs more despite the lack of hardware.

13. maviso5 macrumors regular

i dont see how they can sell it at that price full stop. I think for a £35 a month contract phones should be free, just about every phone is free at that kind of price.

Most people just want to be on between £15-30 for a contract. Wish they would open it up to vodafone UK or someone else for a bit of competiton

14. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Nobody wants the N97. Everybody wants the iPhone. Key difference, and everyone involved knows it.

All you bitching about o2 and the outrage that should you wish to void your contractual agreement you'll have to buy your way out. What were you expecting, and more importantly, why were you expecting special treatment? :confused:

15. Holty123 thread starter macrumors 6502

Holty123

special treatment

All you bitching about o2 and the outrage that should you wish to void your contractual agreement you'll have to buy your way out. What were you expecting, and more importantly, why were you expecting special treatment
    ---------------------------------------------------
    Yes we want special treatment yes indeed!!!!!
    Orginal iPhone cost me £269 plus £35 per mth x 18 mths £899
    iPhone 3G cost me £59 plus £45 per mth x 18mths to date £599
    TOTAL £1498
    If i do want the 3GS O2 want £315 plus the handset price say i went for £96
    then i will have given O2/Apple £1909 of my hard earned cash!!!!!
    So yes i am bitching about O2 and yes more importantly I DO WANT SPECIAL FKN TREATMENT!!!

16. Jowl macrumors 6502

I have no problems with the contract. It is a contract after all and if you wish to terminate it early, you should have to pay.

But if Apple want to bring the iPhone to the masses (well, even more so) and make it more affordable, O2 are not playing ball.

It wouldn't suprise me if Vodafone/Orange get an iPhone deal soon. For the first time, I really hope they do.

17. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

The pricing of the first iPhone was radically different from everything else. Apple and o2 had some revenue sharing shenanigans going on, and the phone was essentially unsubsidised. I agree the cost of the contract, given you'd paid practically out right for the phone was a rip off - hence, I didn't buy one. Neither should you if you felt it didn't represent value.
    That was a more normal contract. You paid a little something for the phone, but it was subsidised and o2 worked out the cost of the handset to them to be billed to you over the duration of your contract.
    Pretty much irrelevant. If you'd wanted a cheaper phone you could have got one.
    You're still paying for the cost of your 3G, and you're doing this bit by bit, month by month until your contract is up. At which point you're free to do as you please.

If you decide you want to break your contractual agreement early, then of course you have to pay up.

Everything here is completely normal. It's you lot that seemingly, irrationally, expect to be treated specially by a bloody telecoms giant. I mean really, can you even hear yourselves??

18. Holty123 thread starter macrumors 6502

Holty123

Missing the point

Everthing you say i agree with yes, but what about customer loyalty if i have a customer that spends lots of money with my company, then i do my best to keep that customer, profit margins are not set in stone think O2 need to address this and as for buying a cheaper phone? get real

19. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Irony.

20. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

Customer loyalty?

That (if it ever existed) died a long time ago together with High street butchers, corner chemists, a postman that knew the Isle of Wight is part of the UK, independent record stores and Lyons Teashops…

;)

Welcome to the real world.

21. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

Maybe I'll tweet to support them.

Boohoo, you got a subsidised phone and have to fulfill your contracts before getting a new one. Oh the horror.

What makes any of you so special that you think Apple or O2 should take a financial hit just because you want their latest phone?

Yes, it's an expensive phone and that's the closest thing to an outrage here. I can't afford it but I'm not out bitching at Apple and mobile carriers over it. I really can't get over some of the collective audacity here.

http://upc.*************/uploads/smilies/crybabySm.gif

22. Holty123 thread starter macrumors 6502

Holty123

Well maybe if you had an iPhone and you had spent what most of us have spent, you could understand why we are bitching, and just to clarfiy i can afford to buy it!

23. iGary Guest

iGary

I have no idea how anyone can expect to upgrade their phone after not having it even a year.

It's pretty mind-boggling.

Me? I waited my two years and I'm upgrading at subsidized pricing. That's how it works.

24. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

loyal |ˈloiəl|
    adjective
    giving or showing firm and constant support or allegiance to a person or institution : he remained loyal by fulfilling the terms of the contract he agreed to. :D

Sense of entitlement gone awry.

25. Mantishead macrumors newbie

You crack me up. You guys will never be happy. You've become so used to the concept of getting a crappy incremental Nokia upgrade for absolutely nothing that you've forgotten what you're getting with an iPhone.

When you buy a laptop, or a computer, or a car - or really anything do you go back a year later when a better one comes out a cry that you want special treatment because you want the new one now.

No. Fact - stuff costs money. If you want the latest stuff when it comes out you're gonna pay for it. If you don't then make do and stop crying.

****ing losers... (You weren't booing into your tea when Apple heavily subsidised O2 so you could have a 3G when it came out...) GROW UP!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.