Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
Damn those are ugly machines!
All the black stuff looks like some kind of HP or Dell p.o.s.
And remind me what the difference is between the MacBook and the MacBook Pro. :confused:
I'm so keeping my C2D MBP17".

That's good because you cannot buy a new style 17" MBP at this point ;) .

I like the new styling, but I also liked the outgoing design (for the most part). Not having the grey plastic trim surrounding the aluminum is a feature I will gladly accept on the new models. I never liked the metal framed in plastic (since the Ti days), and am happy to see it finally gone!

The only thing I have to decide now, Do I go with the MBP, or should I go through the Lenovo I have been lusting after :( .

image.php

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
I see the cycle goes on:

* Dozens of rumors swirl about a new Apple product, which obviously can't all be true.

* New Apple product appears.

* Tempest in a teapot where "everybody" hates it ("everbody" meaning some fraction of forum-goers, who are themselves a tiny fraction of the public).

* It sells like crazy, is much-loved by users and is widely-copied (unsuccessfully) by other companies.

* Repeat.

Fun :)

Thomas Harte

macrumors 6502
Nov 30, 2005
How much?!? £1k for a MacBook!!!! I was expecting it to be about the £700 region.

On the plus side the Air looks very tempting now though! mmmmm...
Nah, it's £720 for the cheapest MacBook. Apple just think that 1gb of RAM, an NVIDIA 9400M and a few extra GBs of hard disk are worth £230. In my opinion, they're very wrong.

jackjason

macrumors regular
Jul 30, 2006
there is no expresscard on macbook..
so no good way to use firewire.

what's the hold in front of the new notebooks?
the one on thr right of the sleep indicator..

thanks

update: got it...it's the receiver..

Aranince

macrumors 65816
Apr 18, 2007
California
I see the cycle goes on:

* Dozens of rumors swirl about a new Apple product, which obviously can't all be true.

* New Apple product appears.

* Tempest in a teapot where "everybody" hates it ("everbody" meaning some fraction of forum-goers, who are themselves a tiny fraction of the public).

* It sells like crazy, is much-loved by users and is widely-copied (unsuccessfully) by other companies.

* Repeat.

Fun :)

Yup. I hope the angry i hate glass-hate black keyboard-no mat option- no bluray mob will go away soon.

sargent bannana

macrumors member
Jun 12, 2008
OMG DDR3 ram is being used im impressed apple and the nvidia chipset

i love the dual nvidia chipsets only if they were sli!!!

still my asus pc notebook is better and cheaper 4 gb of ddr2 intel core 2 duo 2.0 overclocked to 2.2 2x100 200gb 7200 rpm hdd nvidia 9700gt 512 mb only $1,249

Aranince

macrumors 65816
Apr 18, 2007
California

still my asus pc notebook is better and cheaper 4 gb of ddr2 intel core 2 duo 2.0 overclocked to 2.2 2x100 200gb 7200 rpm hdd nvidia 9700gt 512 mb only $1,249

They are SLI...it's using NVIDIA's Hybrid SLI

Zadillo

macrumors 68000
Jan 29, 2005
Baltimore, MD

And also 7.3 pounds, and a fairly large machine as it is, and not an LED-backlit screen.

And how's your battery life? Asus notebooks for the past couple of years have been notorious for poor battery life. I'm curious how the G50v is on that front (whether they've finally made some improvements or still have the same problems).

I think the Asus G50v is an interesting machine (although the gaudy "gamer" style is a bit much), but it has its own set of weaknesses..... all depends on what your needs are. "Better" is a word that is a bit hard to toss around.

-Zadillo

andyjam

macrumors regular
Aug 30, 2008
Sydney, Australia
Can somebody please explain how Apple can possibly put the Australian Price of a MacBook (2.1Ghz, White) UP by $150 whilst everywhere else is getting the same amount OFF??

These laptops are overpriced and under-featured. A $2000 (Australian, so about $1400 US) laptop without firewire, with a 160GB HDD etc.

Apple has lost their minds. I'm expecting the extremely slow response by customers (due to the fact that they feel used and cheated) will result in a significant price cut by Christmas... Which is good - I LOVE THESE LAPTOPS, but not the premium price I am expected to pay for it...

HiRez

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Western US
I have no problem with the updates, nice and all, but once again I have to ask, is this really worth the special event and sending out invitations to reporters and all? I really think Apple is "crying 'wolf!'" when they keep doing these stunts where nothing all that dramatic is announced. For the iPhone, sure. Nanobatteries with solar and kinetic recharging? Yes. 16-processor Mac Pro with holographic display? Sure. Maybe even just for Blu-Ray if you want to stretch it. But not this, there is nothing revolutionary or even close to it here.

johnsy

macrumors 6502
Nov 15, 2006
as I understand apple offers backlit keyboard only for more expensive model. But on apple store it says otherwise:

my.php
[/URL] [/IMG]

johnsy

macrumors 6502
Nov 15, 2006
So if you get model without keyboard backlit you can get price reduction for misleading.

Srai-W

macrumors regular
Oct 10, 2008
Singapore
Can somebody please explain how Apple can possibly put the Australian Price of a MacBook (2.1Ghz, White) UP by $150 whilst everywhere else is getting the same amount OFF??

These laptops are overpriced and under-featured. A $2000 (Australian, so about $1400 US) laptop without firewire, with a 160GB HDD etc.

Exchange rate???? I have checked the Singapore store and the cheapest MacBook is now S$100 less (aargh this is the old MacBook though - no nvidia or LED), same with the MBA.

Hmmm, overall they are kinda cool, but no Mini update though?!?!?! Dammit!!!!:mad::(

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
I have no problem with the updates, nice and all, but once again I have to ask, is this really worth the special event and sending out invitations to reporters and all? I really think Apple is "crying 'wolf!'" when they keep doing these stunts where nothing all that dramatic is announced. For the iPhone, sure. Nanobatteries with solar and kinetic recharging? Yes. 16-processor Mac Pro with holographic display? Sure. Maybe even just for Blu-Ray if you want to stretch it. But not this, there is nothing revolutionary or even close to it here.

This new unibody construction is something to crow about, and so Apple did. The new trackpad and dual graphics chips are also unique features. No other laptop in the world has these features.

pointycollars

macrumors regular
May 15, 2007
Cincinnati
I like the new styling, but I also liked the outgoing design (for the most part). Not having the grey plastic trim surrounding the aluminum is a feature I will gladly accept on the new models. I never liked the metal framed in plastic (since the Ti days), and am happy to see it finally gone!

The TiBooks were all metal. The plastic seams were introduced with the aluminum powerbook models.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.