Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Eric Lewis

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Feb 4, 2007
CANADA? eh?
FWIW...
I just spoke with an apple rep, before even checking the forums here (not that that really matters), but this guy told me that UTD orders will be received on the 26th . I made him repeat himself after distinguishing between UTD and regular orders, and he still confirmed that UTD orders will be received on the 26th. I'm not saying that he is correct, all I'm saying is that he said that we UTDers will be in receipt of Leopard on the 26th. We'll see.

did you request a supervisor>?

blaklaybul

macrumors regular
Aug 29, 2007
New York City
Chatted with a rep

You are chatting with Randal, an Apple Expert

Hi, my name is Randal. Welcome to Apple!

hey randal my name is Mike

How may I help you today?

i have a question regarding leopard's up to date program

I'm happy to assist with that.

2 questions actually.
first, is it the same as if i bought the 129$ retail copy?

Yes, it is the same version.

will i get the box and manuals and all?

Yes, everything you needed would be included.

awesome...also when i preordered the up to date copy it said all preorders will be delivered on the 26th....but on the order status of my copy it says that it still has not yet shipped........Will i recieve it on the 26th?

Yes, if you have ordered it already you will receive it on the 26th.

thanks...do you have any higher access to my order to see if it has shipped yet?

No, we do not have access to that over chat. The most up to date info can be found at http://www.apple.com/orderstatus

thanks for all your help Randal...1 day, 20 hours, 57 minutes, and 30 seconds!!!

You're welcome.
Thank you for visiting the Apple Store. We appreciate your business.

Eric Lewis

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Feb 4, 2007
CANADA? eh?
You are chatting with Randal, an Apple Expert

Hi, my name is Randal. Welcome to Apple!

hey randal my name is Mike

i have a question regarding leopard's up to date program

2 questions actually.
first, is it the same as if i bought the 129$ retail copy?

Yes, it is the same version.

will i get the box and manuals and all?

Yes, everything you needed would be included.

awesome...also when i preordered the up to date copy it said all preorders will be delivered on the 26th....but on the order status of my copy it says that it still has not yet shipped........Will i recieve it on the 26th?

Yes, if you have ordered it already you will receive it on the 26th.

thanks...do you have any higher access to my order to see if it has shipped yet?

No, we do not have access to that over chat. The most up to date info can be found at http://www.apple.com/orderstatus

thanks for all your help Randal...1 day, 20 hours, 57 minutes, and 30 seconds!!!

You're welcome.

so not fair..my ip adress wont let me chat..its apples crap

is there a proxi that will let me chat?>

OR CAN SOMEONE SEND ME A DIRECT LINK TO THE OPEN A NEW CHAT

SO I CLICK IT ON HERE AND IT AUTOMATICALLY LOADS THE CHAT? thanks

gnownayr

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2007
i tried to copy the link but for some reason when i right click and copy it, it doesn't open up the same page as when i simply click on it...sorry!

jayhawk11

macrumors 6502a
Oct 19, 2007
You are chatting with XXXXX X., an Apple Expert

Hi, my name is XXXXX X. Welcome to Apple!

Hello XXXXX

I have a question about the Up to Date program for Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard

Okay. The Up to Date page was a little confusing to me, so I am looking for a straight answer. Is the UTD disc the exact same thing I would get as if I ordered the $129 Single User Version?
Or is it an "Upgrade" Disc. That is, I have to have Tiger installed already in order for it to run?

That would be correct.
It is just being offered at 9.95 for customers who may have bought a Mac on or after 10/1/07

Okay. So just to clarify, the $9.95 Up To Date disc is the exact same thing as the $129 Single User version. Down to the Manuals, Box, and functionality of the Install DVD?

That is correct.

Thank you XXXXX. Have a great day

You're welcome.

So yeah....it looks like we're getting a lot of answers that say we'll be getting a full retail copy of Leopard. Let's hope thats true :)

Eric Lewis

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Feb 4, 2007
CANADA? eh?
You are chatting with XXXXX X., an Apple Expert

Hi, my name is XXXXX X. Welcome to Apple!

Hello XXXXX

I have a question about the Up to Date program for Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard

Okay. The Up to Date page was a little confusing to me, so I am looking for a straight answer. Is the UTD disc the exact same thing I would get as if I ordered the $129 Single User Version?
Or is it an "Upgrade" Disc. That is, I have to have Tiger installed already in order for it to run?

That would be correct.
It is just being offered at 9.95 for customers who may have bought a Mac on or after 10/1/07

Okay. So just to clarify, the $9.95 Up To Date disc is the exact same thing as the $129 Single User version. Down to the Manuals, Box, and functionality of the Install DVD?

That is correct.

Thank you XXXXX. Have a great day

You're welcome.

So yeah....it looks like we're getting a lot of answers that say we'll be getting a full retail copy of Leopard. Let's hope thats true :)

ask about the delievery date

Djmx

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2007
okay.. can someone else chat bout the shipping.. cuz the term says it will be SHIPPED on oct via usps... so why would apple lie on the website n term... and all these ppl saying different things.. making no sense...:(

gnownayr

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2007
i just called AGAIN and again got a different answer. this guy said that UTD is guaranteed to ship BY the 26th, so it may be today or tomorrow or friday, but that since it is through us mail it will take 3-7 business days once it is shipped. anyone else try calling recently?

wakerider017

macrumors 68000
Sep 20, 2006
US of A
The online chat people don't know jack...

* You are chatting with Lori A, an Apple Expert

Hi, my name is Lori A. Welcome to Apple!

Lori A: Hello

You: Hi I just ordered the "Up to Date" version of leopard and I was wondering if there was any difference from the full $129 retail version?

Lori A: No difference.

You: Great! One more question...

You: I saw on your site that the regular version of leopard was supposed to be delivered on the 26th of October... Will the "Up to Date" version also be DELIVERD on the 26th? Or will it come later?

Lori A: You can log into My Account to find out when you will receive that.

Lori A: You will also receive an email with that information.

You: Right now, it does not say anything about delivery (I have ordered from Apple before and it usually says when it will be delivered). All it says it that "Ships by: OCTOBER 26TH"

Lori A: It should update as that status changes.

Lori A: You can also call customer service if you have more questions.

Lori A: The number for Customer Service and Sales Support is 800-676-2775.

You: Okay Thanks!

Lori A: Thank you for visiting the Apple Store. We appreciate your business.

MacAngel40

macrumors member
Oct 10, 2007
Sunshine State
This is my opinion, I was a Human Resource Manager for a major retail co. for 15 years....so take it for what it's worth.
I am not so sure there is going to be a "straight answer" (lack of a better way to put it) until Friday, and that's probably by design. The powers that be are absolutely going to get out all of the retail boxes FIRST, and then if possible get the UTD ones out....in that order. It only makes sense from a business standpoint. I DO believe that the UTD will be shipped out as soon as humanly possible AFTER they see to it that all the retail folks discs are en route. The cut off for the retail boxes is midnight tonight, and all retail versions have been promised delivery by the 26th, after that is fullfilled I suspect the CSR (and WE!) will know a lot more.
As I said, just my humble opinion.

Djmx

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2007
Another one...

-----------

They dont know SH*T!

Hi, my name is Brandon. Welcome to Apple!

Brandon: How may I help you today?

You: hi there

You: i have a question

Brandon: OK!

You: i got the UP TO DATE program LEOPARD..

You: and i been hearing various of different things...

You: bout the shipping

Brandon: OK.

You: does the UTD program get DELIVERED on 26th like the rest of the PRe-orders

You: that was ordered 129

Brandon: It would ship out the 26th.

You: it will not be delivered on 26th

You: i talked to apple rep they said i will be receving it on oct 26th.

Brandon: You will receive an email with further information on when your copy of Leopard will arrive.

You: and i called the UP TO DATE program hotline.

You: or customer service

You: can you please find out?

Brandon: If you would like further information on this, you can contact our customer service department at 800-676-2775.

You: so u have no idea then?

Brandon: From the information I have, it will ship out on the 26th as I stated. If you would like further detailed information, you will receive an email as well as you can contact our customer service department.

You: k

dr_lha

macrumors 68000
Oct 8, 2003
People, people! Unless Apple have made a major change in policy since Tiger, the UTD disk will be:

a) Shipped USPS and not turn up on the release day
b) Shipped as a DVD only, with a few pieces of paper, with no box.
c) Be an upgrade DVD, not a full stand alone version.

Personally I don't believe anything these phone/internet support guys are saying, but I'm sure we'll find out soon enough. I certainly would love my points a-c to not be true!

Djmx

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2007
People, people! Unless Apple have made a major change in policy since Tiger, the UTD disk will be:

a) Shipped USPS and not turn up on the release day
b) Shipped as a DVD only, with a few pieces of paper, with no box.
c) Be an upgrade DVD, not a full stand alone version.

Personally I don't believe anything these phone/internet support guys are saying, but I'm sure we'll find out soon enough. I certainly would love my points a-c to not be true!

If that's the case i'll burn the full copy from my friends. the 9.95 = Crap then.. if u can install the full OS without having Tiger... or pervious OS..

dr_lha

macrumors 68000
Oct 8, 2003
If that's the case i'll burn the full copy from my friends. the 9.95 = Crap then.. if u can install the full OS without having Tiger... or pervious OS..
The 9.95 DVD allows you to upgrade your recently purchased Tiger machine to Leopard. What more do you want? I fail to see how its "crap".

mm1250

macrumors 6502
Sep 3, 2007
The 9.95 DVD allows you to upgrade your recently purchased Tiger machine to Leopard. What more do you want? I fail to see how its "crap".

well, for one, if you ever need to restore, you first have to install tiger, than you have to upgrade to the Lepoard. So its not very intuitive. Most advanced users like not have have stacked OSes on their system. Giving it a bloated feeling.

If you looked at other poll threads you will see that more than 50% of the users like to do fresh OS installs vs. upgrades, which tend to make the system slower due to left over files from the old OS version.

Djmx

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2007
and yes.. that does suck if u ever wanna reinstal u gotta reinstal Tiger THAN upgrade cd a PAIN in the ***

talked to anther one..pretty intresting one 2... lol

----------

Hi, my name is Carnice C. Welcome to Apple!

Carnice C: Good evening

Carnice C: How may I help you today?

You: i got the UP TO DATE program LEOPARD..nd i been hearing various of different things... bout the shippin does the UTD program get DELIVERED on 26th like the rest of the pre-order Leopards that cost 129 ?

Carnice C: Not sure, you would need to check the verify/edit page of checkout.

You: is there any of finding out?

You: please? i need to know

You: it's really unfiar if the UTD gets shipped on Oct 26th and everyone elses get theres on 26th NOT FAIR AT ALL

Carnice C: How so? Are you not getting the software free(save the cost of the CD)?

Carnice C: And again, you can check via the order status page if you have already ordered or the verify/edit page if you have not ordered.

You: doesn't matter, the fact is that i get it 1 week later just cuz i got it for FREE... that makes no sense.

You: i talked 2 difference surpvisors they both gave me 2 different answers... not everyone knows anything seems like.

Carnice C: Just another minute...

Carnice C: They are not the same disc, you do know that, correct?

You: ok

You: they told me they are exactly the same DISC

Carnice C: You need to have Tiger installed to use the up-to-date disc.

You: that's not wut the other reps/supervisor said

You: all of u giving people different answers it's very frustrating

Carnice C: Then go by what they said.

You: then y r u givng different answer?

Carnice C: I can only say what I was told

You: so it's not a FULL CD then.

Carnice C: It is a full CD, but it checks for Tiger.

You: and if tiger not installed it will not install the OS

Carnice C: Correct.

Carnice C: Have you ordered your C Dyet?

Carnice C: CD yet?

You: YES

You: on oct 16th

You: paid 9.95

You: and was told it was the EXACT AS THE 129 ver,

Carnice C: Ok, and your order status page shows a delivery of what?

You: not yet shipped

Carnice C: So you do not have an estimated arrival date?

You: not

You: no* says Ships by: oct 26th

Carnice C: I am really sorry for keeping you waiting, I'll be just another moment.

Carnice C: Ok, so if it says ships by that is the latest it will ship, it may ship tomorrow.

Carnice C: IT is not definite.

You: okay. and it's a UPGRADE CD not FULL ..

Carnice C: It is a full disc, but it checks for Tiger.

You: does it give me the option to Earse and Install the Full OS..

You: easre tiger and install LEOPARD?

Carnice C: It should, that is what I am hoping for.

Carnice C: I too am anxiously waiting for my dics.

You: I C. so it might ship tomorrow then... since i am in cali..

Carnice C: disc*

You: did u order UTD?

You: or FULL ?

Carnice C: I ordered UTD

You: ah so we are on the same page here... lol

Carnice C: And yes it may ship tomorrow, but as I am not connected to the shipping or ordering systems I cannot give you a definite date.

You: alright

Carnice C: Yes we are.

You: lol

You: =) heh.. i hope it ships tomorrow otherwise it'll be really unfair!!! others recivce theirs and we wait another week

Carnice C: I don't mind waiting, I figure it the price for free, but then again I am not confrontational.

You: lol alright i'm very impatient as u can tell... so i can't wait

Carnice C: My curse.

Carnice C: Understandable.

You: k thanks i'll keep checcking tomorrow.. hopefully it'll ship i'll try to contact u again tomorrow...

Carnice C: You're welcome.

Carnice C: Is there anything else I can assist you with today?

You: nope that's it for now. thanks!

Carnice C: Thank you for visiting the Apple Store. We appreciate your business.

Thank you for contacting the Apple Store. If you require further assistance, please call 1-800-MY-APPLE.

dr_lha

macrumors 68000
Oct 8, 2003
well, for one, if you ever need to restore, you first have to install tiger, than you have to upgrade to the Lepoard. So its not very intuitive. Most advanced users like not have have stacked OSes on their system. Giving it a bloated feeling.
Even more advanced users know that that "bloating feeling" is purely in the users mind, and that Apple upgrades work perfectly fine.
If you looked at other poll threads you will see that more than 50% of the users like to do fresh OS installs vs. upgrades, which tend to make the system slower due to left over files from the old OS version.
The concept that the system is "slower due to left over files from the old OS version" is completely without merit, and if you really were a "advanced user" who understood how Mac OS X actually worked, you'd know that.

Doing an upgrade and install from a clean Tiger install from the Leopard UTD disk will give you a clean Leopard install.

But yes, the full retail version is better. That's why it costs more I guess!

wakerider017

macrumors 68000
Sep 20, 2006
US of A
and yes.. that does suck if u ever wanna reinstal u gotta reinstal Tiger THAN upgrade cd a PAIN in the ***

talked to anther one..pretty intresting one 2... lol

----------

Hi, my name is Carnice C. Welcome to Apple!

Carnice C: Good evening

Carnice C: How may I help you today?

You: i got the UP TO DATE program LEOPARD..nd i been hearing various of different things... bout the shippin does the UTD program get DELIVERED on 26th like the rest of the pre-order Leopards that cost 129 ?

Carnice C: Not sure, you would need to check the verify/edit page of checkout.

You: is there any of finding out?

You: please? i need to know

You: it's really unfiar if the UTD gets shipped on Oct 26th and everyone elses get theres on 26th NOT FAIR AT ALL

Carnice C: How so? Are you not getting the software free(save the cost of the CD)?

Carnice C: And again, you can check via the order status page if you have already ordered or the verify/edit page if you have not ordered.

You: doesn't matter, the fact is that i get it 1 week later just cuz i got it for FREE... that makes no sense.

You: i talked 2 difference surpvisors they both gave me 2 different answers... not everyone knows anything seems like.

Carnice C: Just another minute...

Carnice C: They are not the same disc, you do know that, correct?

You: they told me they are exactly the same DISC

Carnice C: You need to have Tiger installed to use the up-to-date disc.

You: that's not wut the other reps/supervisor said

You: all of u giving people different answers it's very frustrating

Carnice C: Then go by what they said.

You: then y r u givng different answer?

Carnice C: I can only say what I was told

You: so it's not a FULL CD then.

Carnice C: It is a full CD, but it checks for Tiger.

You: and if tiger not installed it will not install the OS

Carnice C: Correct.

Carnice C: Have you ordered your C Dyet?

Carnice C: CD yet?

You: YES

You: on oct 16th

You: paid 9.95

You: and was told it was the EXACT AS THE 129 ver,

Carnice C: Ok, and your order status page shows a delivery of what?

You: not yet shipped

Carnice C: So you do not have an estimated arrival date?

You: not

You: no* says Ships by: oct 26th

Carnice C: I am really sorry for keeping you waiting, I'll be just another moment.

Carnice C: Ok, so if it says ships by that is the latest it will ship, it may ship tomorrow.

Carnice C: IT is not definite.

You: okay. and it's a UPGRADE CD not FULL ..

Carnice C: It is a full disc, but it checks for Tiger.

You: does it give me the option to Earse and Install the Full OS..

You: easre tiger and install LEOPARD?

Carnice C: It should, that is what I am hoping for.

Carnice C: I too am anxiously waiting for my dics.

You: I C. so it might ship tomorrow then... since i am in cali..

Carnice C: disc*

You: did u order UTD?

You: or FULL ?

Carnice C: I ordered UTD

You: ah so we are on the same page here... lol

Carnice C: And yes it may ship tomorrow, but as I am not connected to the shipping or ordering systems I cannot give you a definite date.

You: alright

Carnice C: Yes we are.

You: =) heh.. i hope it ships tomorrow otherwise it'll be really unfair!!! others recivce theirs and we wait another week

Carnice C: I don't mind waiting, I figure it the price for free, but then again I am not confrontational.

You: lol alright i'm very impatient as u can tell... so i can't wait

Carnice C: My curse.

Carnice C: Understandable.

You: k thanks i'll keep checcking tomorrow.. hopefully it'll ship i'll try to contact u again tomorrow...

Carnice C: Is there anything else I can assist you with today?

You: nope that's it for now. thanks!

Carnice C: Thank you for visiting the Apple Store. We appreciate your business.

Thank you for contacting the Apple Store. If you require further assistance, please call 1-800-MY-APPLE.

Carnice is Awesome!

Chances are Carnice is correct.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.