Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tnsxsear

macrumors member
Nov 19, 2007
I ordered from Newegg on Friday and just got my shipping info emailed to me right now. I knew it was free shipping, but didnt know it was 2nd day air. Nice. :)

midorix

macrumors member
Nov 23, 2007
I ordered from NewEgg also and got the software today :)

Now question.

I've never did rebate with Microsoft.

Since this is $100 rebate, should I mail it using Certified Mail?

What do you plan to do?

buffalo

macrumors 65816
Jun 5, 2005
Tacoma, WA
Dang. I'm still expected to ship on or after December 24. I doubt it will actually ship that late but I was expecting it to update to a sooner date.

HazChem

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2006
Newegg Rocks!!!

Ordered my copy on Friday at 11PM with free 2-Day shipping, it arrives yesterday, one day early, mailed both rebates today and sold Office on Ebay for enough to buy a 2GB stick for my MBP.

A very nice christmas present!!

Midorix - Make sure you make copies of everything you sent and check the status online in a couple of weeks. Once, the rebate place "didn't" receive my rebate so I was able to fax a copy of what I sent and promptly got my rebate.

midorix

macrumors member
Nov 23, 2007
thanks HazChem.

I heard enough rebate horror stories to ask this question, especially when I'm risk averse.

This $100 rebate has very small window and with the volume they would get, I assume some rebates will get "lost".

I may still do certified mail ($2.65 additional cost) just for peace of mind.

Tom J

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2006
Midwest
thanks HazChem.

I heard enough rebate horror stories to ask this question, especially when I'm risk averse.

This $100 rebate has very small window and with the volume they would get, I assume some rebates will get "lost".

I may still do certified mail ($2.65 additional cost) just for peace of mind.

I recently had a discussion about this with a friend who works a rebate fulfillment center. He said that 99+% of rebates come in bulk as regular mail. The few pieces of certified mail came in through a different process and were more likely to get misplaced.

Even though you may have a record of it being delivered, it can still get lost internally.

midorix

macrumors member
Nov 23, 2007
Now I'm switching back........

I'll make copies and send it regular mail and check within 10 days online:)

tnsxsear

macrumors member
Nov 19, 2007
To all the people selling their Office 04. When we get Office 08 in, is it the full version or just an upgrade to it? I just recieved my Office04 from newegg and im kind of hesitant to sell it as I may need it to install 08 if its just an upgrade they send us. :eek:

Hemingray

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2002
Ha ha haaa!
Got my shipping confirmation from Amazon today! Looks like they pulled through! (This was despite their shipping estimate being "3-5 weeks".) $35 for Office 2004 AND 2008... can't beat it! :) I'm really glad I held out.

iBob RevC

macrumors newbie
Oct 12, 2005
Cape Cod, MA
To all the people selling their Office 04. When we get Office 08 in, is it the full version or just an upgrade to it? I just recieved my Office04 from newegg and im kind of hesitant to sell it as I may need it to install 08 if its just an upgrade they send us. :eek:

I talked with someone today at the rebate office regarding this. He told me that if you choose the 08 Home & Student edition, it will indeed be a full install, since they only have one version they offer of that program.

However, if I understand him correctly, the Mac Special Media edition might be just an upgrade. Wasn't clear if he said could be or would be, so I'm thinking I'll just order the Home & Student w/3 licenses. I don't need the Exchange Server options.

Perhaps someone else spoke with them, and can confirm or clarify this for us.

Bob

HazChem

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2006
Hmm,

I just noticed Microsoft has two different upgrade programs.

The Super Suite Deal looks like it gives you the full version of Office Media Edition if you purchase any version of 2004. This costs $6.99

However, they also have the North America Technology Guarantee Redemption Form which only upgrades you to the 2008 version of whichever 2004 version you have. And this one costs $10.

Definitely make sure you take advantage of the Super Suite Deal!

Tom J

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2006
Midwest
Ordered on Friday 11/23 around noon. Estimated shipping date of 11/29 (today) which has come and gone. Anybody else not have their Amazon orders shipped?

I don't think I've ever had an Amazon order shipped later than the estimated date.

mets1125

macrumors 6502
Sep 4, 2007
Queens, NY
Got my shipping confirmation from Amazon today! Looks like they pulled through! (This was despite their shipping estimate being "3-5 weeks".) $35 for Office 2004 AND 2008... can't beat it! :) I'm really glad I held out.

Same here I got the confirmation yesterday.

ErikAndre

macrumors 6502a
Nov 14, 2007
Florida
Man, each time this thread is bumped up, I am reminded again that I missed this amazing deal.

:eek:::slamming head against desk:::eek:

:D

buffalo

macrumors 65816
Jun 5, 2005
Tacoma, WA
My shipping status was updated from shipping after December 24 to shipped November 29 with an estimated arrival date of December 4.

I already have Office 2004 and just got iWork '08. This deal was too good to pass up though. It will be nice to pick between Office 2008 and iWork '08.

plickfu

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2007

You'll notice on the Super Suite Deal form that it is for the full boxed version of Office 2008 (whether you choose standard or Home and Student).

benlee

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 4, 2007
Do any of you think it is possible to just send the box top of the office 2004 I already own and the booklet cover. That way I have an unopened copy that I can sell?

tigerblue711

macrumors newbie
Dec 7, 2007
I just received mine and sent in the two rebates. Do you think it is safe to sell the software? Should I wait to sell it when I get the rebates back or is that being to safe?

CalMin

Contributor
Nov 8, 2007
Do any of you think it is possible to just send the box top of the office 2004 I already own and the booklet cover. That way I have an unopened copy that I can sell?

I thought about it, but my total cost for Office 2008 was only $29, so it's just not worth getting my rebates rejected by trying to keep the new box sealed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.