Ok people why the hate on apple laptop

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by henry2, Jun 3, 2011.

1. henry2 macrumors regular

henry2

someone told me that people think of people with apple laptop as a certain snob type person or others who thinks that apple use are elitest symbol's user's

As i explained to the gentlemen that i really only do the following thing's with my laptop

1-surf the web & check out websites i have bookmarked & buy online for product's & items that i like

2-use the Itunes account to keep my Ipad & Iphone updated as need

3-check my email account's

4-watch my tv shows online

5-keep my files saight in some area & some pet project's i have going on at the time..

I told him that i like how simple and easly to use Apple OS is to use and how it not a problematic for me as with window's platfrom was along with it just works alot better than window's ..

also i told i want the system to work when it has to and not have crash and other problems that came with the window's platfrom system

So why all the hate tolds apple laptop or product's

2. Gol27 macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8H7 Safari/6533.18.5)

I think that's the point.. You only do menial tasks that a cheap laptop is more than capable of yet you have a 2000+ laptop.

I know what you mean though as I'm in a similar position. I don't really do anything taxing an I do buy mainly because of the OS.

But I do understand where people are coming from..

3. palpatine macrumors 68040

because apple owners can be insufferable elitist and condescending fanatics. obviously, it's not everyone, but it's really annoying. they're probably taking out their frustration on you, and perhaps they also feel the need to ridicule you in order to justify their own purchase.

i think it's what you get in a religious war. in this case, the "religions" are consumption habits. it's kind of silly (if you ask me), but actually something you can see throughout history.

you can engage in it if you want, or just shrug it off and say, "i like X about the mac, and it's good for me."

4. Dr McKay macrumors 68040

Dr McKay

Its not the Apple stuff I hate, I have owned many iPods, iPhone 2G,3G + iPhone 4. And an iPad.

Its the die-hard elitist fanboy, who drones on about how superior it is to Windows, and how the Aluminium is "sexy" (If you can describe a laptop like that, than you have problems)

And if you dare priase a rival product around them, or point out a flaw in an Apple product, they tend to fly off the handle.

I had to go through College and suffer a particularly elitist fanboy, who gives regular Apple users a bad name.

5. fat jez macrumors 68000

fat jez

I can point you to Windows users on other forums who are just as bad and I'm sure others can find Linux users who are the same. People do get very focussed on the products they choose (hence why companies spend millions on brand marketing) and don't like to see their choices criticised.

As my sig shows, I have both Windows and OSX in my home, although if the Mac Pro were cheaper and games were more widely available, I would happily ditch Windows, simply because I prefer the Mac interface now. But that's my preference and I don't let it blind me to the possibility there may be other options.

6. Heavertron, Jun 3, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2011

Heavertron macrumors regular

I've come from a Unix / Linux background, so Mac OS X is a good middle ground for me. It works out of the box, is reliable and easy to use, but I don't throw my unix knowledge to the wind and can still work from the terminal if I need to.

I do like the build quality too. I appreciate well made things, and the alu unibody makes other laptops feel cheep after you've used it for a while.

7. mark28 macrumors 68000

Why the hate on Windows? :D

You got haters on both sides.

8. palpatine macrumors 68040

sure. i know some. but, in my experience, it's the apple owners who tend to be the most fanatical and most legion, and that's why "fanboi" is pretty much synonymous with apple. maybe it's because i spend a lot of time in academia, where apples (at least at my institution) far outnumber windows (according to sales numbers). i mean, how often do you see windows or linux fanatics lining up outside of stores?

i'm agnostic. i use both systems. of course, i have a mac, but i try not to be an ass about it. i figure opening up my laptop and shining an apple shaped beacon at everyone in the room is enough to annoy windows and mac adherents :)

9. bigjobby macrumors 65816

If one offered the choice between a Mac or Windoze laptop to a hater (for free), I wonder which they'd choose. :)

10. fat jez macrumors 68000

fat jez

I disagree on this one. Fanboi is synonymous with Apple because 95% of the market is Windows so there are 19 Windows users shouting Fanboi at the Mac User and only 1 shouting back ;)

(said tongue in cheek)

11. Goohfy macrumors regular

Goohfy

One day Windows and Macs will live together peacefully. NOT :p

12. SlickShoes macrumors 6502a

It always takes some explaining to people why I have a mac.

Many people don't even realise you can also have windows on your mac.

I use my mac for everything, photo editing, games, movies, writing, scripting, work, music.

I boot into windows for one thing and that is to play games that i can't on OSX.

The laptop is nice, the OS is nice, and i have windows there if i ever need it.

13. SlickShoes macrumors 6502a

Could not agree with that, I work in IT and I am a great mac fan and I have to constantly suffer people telling me the 1 million ways they feel windows is superior and that I am somehow stupid for enjoying OSX.

As a gamer too you get the same thing, the constant barage of "get a PC noob".

I really enjoy windows 7 but people won't let me mention that they get hung up right away on the fact I own 2 macbooks.

14. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

I once had a seminar about software architectures and two groups presented mobile SDKs. One Android, one iOS. The fun thing was the people presenting Android owned iphones and did the presentation on a MacBook. The iOS group was owned Android phones and used a Windows notebook.
    There weren't really any fanboys around but what can be said is that by iOS keeps tighter to good software engineering practices. Probably because at Google there are too many of these programming cracks who need some freedom. I would prefer working at google but you cannot deny that good practices are likely to create more stable software.
    In many respects it depends on what believes and values. Some only see the practical side and say just dislike Apple the uptight company. To understand the argument of some Anti-Apple people. Mink is also a good product and status symbol for some but most people have a problem with how it is manufactured and sold. It is an extreme example but one can have somewhat similar quarrels with Jobs and his marketing and business style.

I would change some things about my MBP if I designed it but at the time I bought it was the best thing I could find in the market. Everybody knows some fanboys. Some are really nice just a little bit crazy and they do know it. They treat it like a hobby, like soccer or American football. Others are really annoying knowitalls who know much less than they think and those are the ones I really wouldn't want to get mixed up with. I would prefer my MBP with out the bright white Apple Logo. In the end it is just a tool for me.

15. fat jez macrumors 68000

fat jez

In my experience, as soon as you say you own a Mac, unless by chance the person you are speaking to is also a Mac owner, you need to be prepared to face a barrage of criticism, including that old chestnut about there being no right click. If you tell a Mac user you have a Windows machine, you're far less likely to get criticism for your choice of platform.

Yes, Apple users queue up outside stores on the day of release for a new product, but I think that says more about Apple's ability to generate hype and I'm sure Microsoft would love people to do the same for their products, but sadly they just don't seem to be able to generate the same buzz around their products.

16. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

I've never come across anything like this. The comment I usually get is "they are expensive" and you can't really argue about that.

The only place I've ever found fanboy types of people is on internet forums. :)

17. fat jez macrumors 68000

fat jez

I was getting this in my office all the time as soon as they found out my company was replacing my Dell laptop with a 13" Macbook Pro. Some of the critical people have changed their tune when they've seen what I can do with it, however.

18. dr Dunkel, Jun 3, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2011

dr Dunkel macrumors regular

I love the Apple the products.
    I hate the cult-style and the monger for total control.
    I hate the people loving the Apple products.

There was an article in the newspaper the other day, describing findings from some professor who had found that people devoted to Apple displayed the same type of brain activity as deeply religious people do.

I have never come across such devotion to a brand, ever.

19. fat jez macrumors 68000

fat jez

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-13416598

I guess you don't remember what happened when Coke changed their recipe back in the 80's then? All sorts of people were up in arms about it, prompting Coca Cola to perform a u-turn and go back to the old recipe.

20. dr Dunkel macrumors regular

But that could be down to a physical addiction, right?

21. fat jez macrumors 68000

fat jez

Possibly, although you could perhaps argue that Pepsi could satisfy the same addiction.

Actually, there's a good example of two very polarised fan bases where you can find fans of one drink unable to understand how anyone can drink the other. It's something that marketing people love to establish, the idea of total brand loyalty at the exclusion of all other brands and you have to admire a company that can achieve it.

22. dr Dunkel macrumors regular

Just as Windows would satisfy every need an OSX junkie might have :D

Yes, it is a really good example of how a strict marketing regime has created a scarily loyal customer base. I know I'm right there too - I read up on new Apple products and often find them lacking in some respect, and still, there I am at the Apple Store... drooling over the crippled new iMac :D

23. dslrjunky macrumors regular

its a never ending debate, there are haters on both side those that don't care to pitch in their opinion knows better, that it all comes down to user preference..

24. fungus macrumors regular

fungus

No other tech company does this to the extent that Apple does, and it drives some people (who don't use Apple products) nuts. It comes down to the basic psychology of envy. If someone else has something that you don't, your instinct is to try to bring them down to your level rather than raise yourself up to theirs. In this case those people can't force HP to make a better computer, Dell a better tablet, or Microsoft a better mobile OS. So they lash out at Apple for doing what "their brand" couldn't.

25. fat jez macrumors 68000

fat jez

The only other tech example I can think of is Sony v Microsoft with the PS3 v Xbox 360 arguments. Fans of either of those systems are pretty polarised, on the whole.