Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

outdevo

macrumors member
Dec 15, 2008
You da man!

Works as advertised on my 15" MBP early 2008...

delete the kext first before mving the new one in. Be SURE to repair disk permissions before you reboot!

That will save you a headache or two.

I installed 10.5.6, no four finger swipe.

I tried manually adding the keys to the .kext file, rebooted, nothing.

However, when I used the .kext file downloaded from http://macvn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12460 - i have four finger swipe with no other modifications to 10.5.6 on my 17" early 2008 MBP.

Instructions:

Install 10.5.6

Download the kext file, and copy it to /System/Library/Extensions - I went to terminal and ran 'sudo mv /Users/<me>/Downloads/AppleUSBMultitouch.kext /System/Library/Extensions'

Run Disk Utility, select your main hard drive, and click the "Repair Permissions" button.

Reboot.

Four finger swipe immediately works, and shows up in the trackpad preference pane!

minijon

macrumors member
Feb 20, 2008
St. Louis, MO
Once you get the .kext replaced (move out the old file and then move in the new one, don't try to replace the file, and you have to use the Get Info... and edit the permissions to do so)

-I didn't have to repair permissions, I just set the permissions back to the way they were on the old file - System R/W - and rebooted.

-Preference Pane works as it should.

Yes, the video shows one finger to select the apps from the app switcher. That is because the cursor is over the app switcher overlay - just as if you were to use Cmd-Tab to enter the App Switcher. To select one without moving the cursor to the app switcher, use two fingers to scroll (just as if using the scoll ball on the Mighty Mouse to move between them when using Cmd Tab)

However, when scrolled to, you either have to use enter/return or move the cursor to select it. (That's the same as any use of the app switcher - multitouch or not.) It's more a shortcoming of the app switcher than the multitouch. Using cmd-tab, you can hold tab, highlight an app, release tab and it will switch to it. The 4-finger gesture again should, instead of canceling, as it does, act like releasing cmd and switch to the highlighted app.

Added:
With the corner-secondary click on the Unibodies, putting your finger in the corner of the pad (just as you would put two fingers on the pad before clicking the button - if you have secondary tap disabled) and then clicking the physical button acts the same as physically clicking the glass pad while touching in the corner.

foobarbaz

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2007
Don't download the old kext. It might break something...

All you need to do is edit the plist file inside it, as described above. It took me two (!) reboots until it worked, but it did!

Maybe clearing the kernel cache will do it in one reboot:
sudo rm -rf /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kernelcaches/

fjk

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2008
Don't download the old kext. It might break something...

All you need to do is edit the plist file inside it, as described above. It took me two (!) reboots until it worked, but it did!

Maybe clearing the kernel cache will do it in one reboot:

which instructions?

minijon

macrumors member
Feb 20, 2008
St. Louis, MO
Nothing seems to be broken - At least with the 20 minutes of testing I've done. I've gone through all the old problems (iTunes/Quicktime/Mail) and no erratic behavior.

Tallest Skil

macrumors P6
Aug 13, 2006
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
Instructions:

Install 10.5.6

Download the kext file, and copy it to /System/Library/Extensions - I went to terminal and ran 'sudo mv /Users/<me>/Downloads/AppleUSBMultitouch.kext /System/Library/Extensions'

Run Disk Utility, select your main hard drive, and click the "Repair Permissions" button.

Reboot.

Four finger swipe immediately works, and shows up in the trackpad preference pane!

I can't move it there. It says that I have insufficient privileges.

macintias

macrumors newbie
Dec 11, 2008
4 fingers under 10.5.6

got 4 fingers to work quite nicely using the patched kext (see previous extensions)

out of interest I did a recursive diff between the new 10.5.6 kext and the 10.5.5(.october) and found the following:

Binary files that changed between the versions
./Contents/CodeDirectory
./Contents/CodeSignature
./Contents/MacOS/AppleUSBMultitouch
./Contents/PlugIns/MultitouchHID.plugin/Contents/MacOS/MultitouchHID

and in ./Contents/CodeResources and ./Contents/PlugIns/MultitouchHID.plugin/Contents/CodeResources the following line
' khdEulRiN4FVi9KvkmALt1DMtE0='
changed to
' H1Ak0R29htba7xtycPx5EvtQdjE='

and the usual mix of changes in version numbers (and the addition of multi touch in the plist)

d-bone

macrumors newbie
Jan 28, 2008
That's right, I did move my existing .kext to a backup location before moving the new one in.

Modified Instructions:

Install 10.5.6

Download the kext file, and copy it to /System/Library/Extensions - I went to terminal and ran

'sudo mv /System/Library/Extensions/AppleUSBMultitouch.kext /Users/<me>/'

then

'sudo mv /Users/<me>/Downloads/AppleUSBMultitouch.kext /System/Library/Extensions'

Reboot.

Four finger swipe immediately works, and shows up in the trackpad preference pane![/QUOTE]

foobarbaz

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2007
With the development of Multiclutch, you could employ the same 4-finger gestures in future releases. I heard the developer is currently developing the 4-finger gestures, so just look forward to that.

You probably heard that in this thread. Somebody came up the notion, that somehow multiclutch could bring the 4-finger gestures to the older MacBooks. It can't, and it can't detect and re-assign them on the new ones, either. They are handled by the OS and never passed to applications the way the others are.

Plus, multiclutch hasn't seen any public code changes since about March. The author works for Apple now, so maybe he isn't allowed to continue, or maybe he'll be working on the next generation official multitouch prefpane.

which instructions?

The ones by michaelb on page 2.

macintias

macrumors newbie
Dec 11, 2008
I do find that sideways swipe i always run of the track pad, resulting in an additional 3 finger swipe... very annoying, in safari at least.

beyond its working great for me, very nice....

though it would be nice if it would auto hide the switcher (if you haven't started to use the mouse in it during that time) and switch after say 1/4 second after activation (and idle) or 1/2 to 1 second of idle (after action after activation)... but hey i don't have the time and patience to go fix it, and I don't think you guys do either... and we're not supposed to have the feature anyway, so I think we'll just have to live with it as it is.

impakt1

macrumors member
Aug 30, 2008
That's right, I did move my existing .kext to a backup location before moving the new one in.

Modified Instructions:

Install 10.5.6

Download the kext file, and copy it to /System/Library/Extensions - I went to terminal and ran

'sudo mv /System/Library/Extensions/AppleUSBMultitouch.kext /Users/<me>/'

then

'sudo mv /Users/<me>/Downloads/AppleUSBMultitouch.kext /System/Library/Extensions'

Reboot.

[/QUOTE]

:[
opsies
i deleted my old one.

fjk

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2008
You probably heard that in this thread. Somebody came up the notion, that somehow multiclutch could bring the 4-finger gestures to the older MacBooks. It can't, and it can't detect and re-assign them on the new ones, either. They are handled by the OS and never passed to applications the way the others are.

Plus, multiclutch hasn't seen any public code changes since about March. The author works for Apple now, so maybe he isn't allowed to continue, or maybe he'll be working on the next generation official multitouch prefpane.

The ones by michaelb on page 2.

Cool thanks! Also, the bottom right corner click can be "circumvented" by using your thumb to press both the physical button and touching the bottom right corner at the same time. (sorta) better than nothing.... at least it doesnt require two or three fingers to do. lol :]

erifneerg

macrumors member
Aug 10, 2008
Try this:
Code:
sudo mv /System/Library/Extensions/AppleUSBMultitouch.kext /System/Library/Extensions/AppleUSBMultitouch.old
sudo mv /Users/<name>/Downloads/AppleUSBMultitouch.kext /System/Library/Extensions/
Verify and repair disk permissions in Disk Utility and reboot.

w00t worked for me!

noreason4

macrumors newbie
Dec 15, 2008
can someone please tell me again what to do? if i replace my kext with he one posted above my mouse wont move after a reboot..

how does this exactly work?

Can anyone send me the kext file? my adress is: andrejer at me . com

Heres what i did: i deleted the old one and entered my pw. Then dragged/dropped the new one into this folder and entered my pw again. reboot and nothing works anymoe. no more keyboard no more trackpad...

fjk

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2008
can someone please tell me again what to do? if i replace my kext with he one posted above my mouse wont move after a reboot..

how does this exactly work?

Can anyone send me the kext file? my adress is: andrejer at me . com

Heres what i did: i deleted the old one and entered my pw. Then dragged/dropped the new one into this folder and entered my pw again. reboot and nothing works anymoe. no more keyboard no more trackpad...

did you ignore all the advice about using Disk Utility to repair permissions.

fjk

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2008
This Info.plist of this kext contains several entries for what looks like different makes of trackpads. I noticed that some of them had two keys that the others did not:

<key>TrackpadFourFingerGestures</key>
<true/>
<key>TrackpadSecondaryClickCorners</key>
<true/>

I didn't know which model trackpad my Air has and it didn't really matter, as I copied those keys to all entries.

Once the AppleUSBMultitouch.kext was modified (and permissions restored), I rebooted and, hey presto!, there is the Four Fingers entry in the System Preferences.

Just to be clear, this is all you really have to do. The kext in 10.5.6 update already has those entries for what is probably the trackpad in the LATE-2008 MBP. So just add those strings from the LATE-2008 trackpad's entry to the other trackpad entries and voila. Restore permissions and reboot. Done.

BTW I used plistedit in order to copy/paste those strings to the other entries. You do NOT need to download any other kext files, the AppleUSBMultitouch.kext in 10.5.6 has what you need.

ArturFelipe

macrumors newbie
Nov 15, 2008
worked great in Macbook Air Rev.A, but needed to Repair Permissions ...

After a Reboot, trackpad and keyboard didn`t work, so i rebooted through mac osx install disc and repaired the permisions ... so on worked loke a charm ...

Thanks. :D

Now there is a Chess.app in my applications folder that wasn`t there before ... and it doen`t start, maybe the files are missed ... any clue ?

Thanks.

macintias

macrumors newbie
Dec 11, 2008
Okay someone pointed out that the 10.5.6 kext actually works no problem, catch is you have to flush you cache, so method (that should work):
1) clean update to 10.5.6 (that means apples original 10.5.6 AppleUSBMultitouch.kext)
2) edit (and backup first!!!)
/System/Library/Extensions/AppleUSBMultitouch.kext/Contents/Info.plist and add the 4 finger and corner click support where it isn't already
3) clear you caches! I'd say all of them, thats what I did, though probably
should do the trick
4) reboot
5) try it, if it dosen't work, reboot again, still dosen't work? try clearing all caches & reboot

maybe someone can throw together an installer that dose the above nice and quick

thanks to:
foobarbaz for pointing it out to all of us (and no credit for all of us for blindly ignoring it)
fjk for pointing it out again

fjk

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2008
Okay someone pointed out that the 10.5.6 kext actually works no problem, catch is you have to flush you cache, so method (that should work):
1) clean update to 10.5.6 (that means apples original 10.5.6 AppleUSBMultitouch.kext)
2) edit (and backup first!!!)
/System/Library/Extensions/AppleUSBMultitouch.kext/Contents/Info.plist and add the 4 finger and corner click support where it isn't already
3) clear you caches! I'd say all of them, thats what I did, though probably
should do the trick
4) reboot
5) try it, if it dosen't work, reboot again, still dosen't work? try clearing all caches & reboot

maybe someone can throw together an installer that dose the above nice and quick

right. i forgot about flushing the cache.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.