Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

OLED displays for both of Apple's next-generation iPad Pro models will have entered the production phase by this week in time for device shipments to begin in April, claims a new report by The Elec.

iPad-Pro-OLED-Feature-2.jpg

According to the Korean-language outlet, LG Display recently began manufacturing the thin film transistor (TFT) for the new 13-inch iPad Pro displays, while Samsung will this week similarly kickstart its own TFT production for the new 11-inch iPad Pro. The TFT essentially acts as a switch to turn off and turn on individual OLED pixels.

Finished 11-inch and 13-inch OLED iPad Pro models are expected to go into mass production around March, in time for a scheduled release in April, according to today's report. Apple analyst Ming-Chi Kuo has said he expects the new ‌iPad Pro‌ models to launch in the second quarter of 2024, which runs from April to June.

The timeframe given by The Elec also dovetails with an earlier Bloomberg report that claimed the new iPad Pro models could be announced at a March event, along with a new iPad Air that will be available in two sizes for the first time. Apple usually opens pre-orders during an event or a week or two after it, and then begins delivering the devices to customers the following week.

OLED displays are a first for the ‌iPad‌ lineup. Apple has been using OLED technology for the iPhone and the Apple Watch, but larger OLED screens are more expensive. Compared to LED or mini-LED, OLED brings deeper blacks and more vivid colors.

Apple's OLED iPad Pro shipments forecast for the year have reportedly decreased to 8 million units, down from the 10 million units that were projected for 2024 last year. The reduction is said to be a reflection of broadly sluggish performance across Apple's product lineup. Apple did not release any new iPad models last year, so it will be interesting to see if pent-up demand can offset poor sales.
Along with new displays, the ‌iPad Pro‌ models are expected to be powered by Apple's latest M3 chip, which debuted in new MacBook Pro models last year. The M3 is built on 3-nanometer technology, and should bring a notable graphics improvement over the M2 chip that is currently used in the ‌iPad Pro‌.

The displays are expected to be three times the price of those used in iPhones, which could translate to much higher prices for customers. Apple is also rumored to be releasing a redesigned Magic Keyboard accessory for the devices, since the screens will be slightly larger and the tablets themselves could be slightly thinner.

Article Link: OLED iPad Pro Displays Now in Production, Devices to Ship in April

Last edited:

lm57400

macrumors member
Aug 17, 2009
I wonder if the rumored massive price increases are anywhere close to accurate. I sure hope not.
I don’t wonder too much anymore but just expect it. Apple is not shy to rise the prices extremely when it comes to deliver a new feature. Changing the display to a new technology will result in hundreds of dollars price increase. Look how much the MacBook Pros cost now. You don’t see any MiniLED Display below the price points of the MacBook Pros.

ThailandToo

macrumors 6502
Apr 18, 2022
The 11” iPad Pro will finally have a nice display! But the pricing sounds way off. I mean Samsung could sell $600 tablets with OLED displays five years ago.

A lot of Apple’s delay in technology is its inability to produce the best at scale. Apple should have went with OLED years ago in the 11” iPad Pro as it was such a poor experience compared to the 12.9” iPad Pro.

aj_niner

Suspended
Dec 24, 2023
The 11” iPad Pro will finally have a nice display! But the pricing sounds way off. I mean Samsung could sell $600 tablets with OLED displays five years ago.

A lot of Apple’s delay in technology is its inability to produce the best at scale. Apple should have went with OLED years ago in the 11” iPad Pro as it was such a poor experience compared to the 12.9” iPad Pro.
Delays tend to stem from parts design targets not hitting parts price targets.

Like the often rumored 32" 6K iMac.

The 2019 32" 6K needs a next gen parts that allows for ~$500 parts for the ~$2k 2024 iMac 32" 6K M4 to be out by Oct 2024.

Pokey42

macrumors newbie
Sep 10, 2019
I just hope the camera is in the landscape position now. If not, my 2018 iPad Pro is still going strong.
Yep. I plan on posting this in every OLED iPad thread for the next three months. I’m still holding out hope for some kind of actual innovation from Apple where the new keyboard somehow manifests a landscape camera when you attach it so the portrait camera is still there when you use it without the keyboard.

Reactions: MrGimper

newyorksole

macrumors 603
Apr 2, 2008
New York.
Mine is starting to get a bit stuttery with animations etc on iOS 17
damn. my 2018 12” Pro is still working flawlessly.

like someone else said, six years later and it’s definitely time to take advantage of the new technology / features.

really can’t wait to see it. then next up I’ll replace my 2019 iMac with a 15” Air. then I’ll be all caught up.

Reactions: eltoslightfoot

MilaM

macrumors 6502a
Nov 7, 2017
I also want to replace my 2018 iPad Pro soon. But this time I will probably go for the iPad Air or maybe the LCD Pro once the new version is released. The new Pro is going to be even more expensive, and I'm not willing to pay so much money for a screen with a browser.

iPadified

macrumors 68000
Apr 25, 2017
My 2017 needs to be updated. 8-10 million iPP/year, not bad if true considering the price points.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.