OMFG! My MBP was stolen before I received it!!!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MowingDevil, Oct 28, 2008.

1. MowingDevil macrumors 68000

MowingDevil

Great, I've been waiting for ages for a Mac laptop and today was supposed to be the big day. Abo 10am this morning I had a knock on the door...the box seemed rather light so I figured it might not be the laptop but another product I'd recently ordered. I cracked open the box to find a bunch of cardboard strips and styrofoam. WTF?!? I checked the packing slip and sure enough...this 1 kg box was supposed to be my 4.7kg MBP...this is so depressing.

I ran outside to flag down the courier but he was gone... :mad:

2. belvdr macrumors 603

If it felt that light I wouldn't have let him leave to begin with.

3. DaveOZ macrumors regular

:eek: I can see this one taking all day on the phone. Hope you get it sorted.

TNT will be here will mine within the next hour. Think I will look in the box before I sign.

4. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Oh man, I feel your pain, as something like this happened to me, but according to the delivery guy he was surprised the box came empty (printer from HP).

Fair enough UPS found the guilty party and refunded every penny for my printer where as HP sent me a brand new one again. So hey, I got a free printer after that. Call Fedex, UPS or however delivered and ask to speak with the manager.

Also, call Apple, they can put pressure on the delivery company

5. hogfaninga macrumors 65816

hogfaninga

Thing about it is he signed for it (I assuming--he said he met the delivery guy at the door and all major purchases have to be signed for)and the delivery guy left. Without any concrete proof it is a word for a word. I hope it works out for you though. I can see how this could get really sticky.

6. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

Least you didn't sign for it, the courier go, then find out...
    Chase them up on it. They might lie, procrastinate, and check your story, but ultimately if you haven't signed for it, they'll have to trace it back and sort you out a new order.

7. Son of Matrix macrumors regular

Son of Matrix

where did this happen? vancouver?

8. MowingDevil thread starter macrumors 68000

MowingDevil

I should mention I signed for it before I touched it. The courier had immediately placed it on the floor (I assumed because it was heavy). The courier was gone in seconds, thats what they do. I was in a state of shock as I looked out the window and didn't see his orange truck.

This happened in Australia w/ TNT. I've contaced Apple but not TNT. Since Apple hires them I'll let them sort it out. Thing is, this could have happened back in China for all I know. Hopefully the package has been weighed along the route so it will be obvious where this happened.

9. fleshman03 macrumors 68000

fleshman03

Yeah that could get really sticky. Let us know what happens.

10. e12a macrumors 68000

e12a

that is very unfortunate.

i'm sure they've noticed an influx of relatively heavy apple boxes. a worker probably decided to sneak a peek.

11. Atomic Ed macrumors regular

Wow thats just terrible and disappointing. I sure hope it gets worked out quickly for you.

12. MowingDevil thread starter macrumors 68000

MowingDevil

Gotta say, the worst part is sitting around waiting for Apple to get back to me not knowing how this is going to be resolved. I've dealt with couriers for years and never encountered anything like this. This is the type of thing I'd expect through eBay not direct through a reputable company and professional courier. I'm sure they must have their ways of tracking down what stage this occurred based on weight alone. I now can see the box has been tampered with as some of the bar code sticker is peeled off and there's a double layer of tape on places.

13. Phrasikleia macrumors 601

Phrasikleia

My condolences. That's a worst nightmare come true. The worst that ever happened to me was when I signed for a new G4 tower, and the UPS person knocked it off of my doorstep as she turned to walk away. It plunged right down onto the cement walkway, landing on its side. She looked back with big eyes and said that if anything was wrong with it, UPS would make it right. Well, it was indeed broken, but I called Apple, and they shipped out a new one right away.

14. Herrow macrumors regular

Sorry to hear your bad news.

If you did not sign for it, you are not liable...don't take any BS from these snakes!

15. hogfaninga macrumors 65816

hogfaninga

If you read the posts he said he did sign for it.

16. OrangeSVTguy macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

Wow my heart would've sank to the floor :(. That's so sad. Keep us posted about what happens. You have proof that it's been tampered with since there is double tape and tears on the barcode. Best of luck to you.

17. durant0s macrumors regular

durant0s

Is Vancouver that bad? I've heard stories but I always assumed they were overdone.

18. hogfaninga macrumors 65816

hogfaninga

I wish him the best also, but Apple and the delivery people can easily say he did it and is conning them. I hope that doesn't happen though and they can track the weight like he says.

19. OrangeSVTguy macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

For all you know, the delivery driver could have done that. They could have scanned it for final departure and the records would show the correct weight. Hopefully that doesn't happen. Doesn't Apple ship in plain brown boxes anyways to "conceal" their contents? Maybe they should start packaging them in Dell boxes :p ?

20. hogfaninga macrumors 65816

hogfaninga

That last part is funny. Thanks.

21. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

22. wennydi macrumors newbie

23. MowingDevil thread starter macrumors 68000

MowingDevil

Well that would be the absolute worst scenerio possible. When I opened the door he placed the box down on the ground and handed me the gizmo to sign. I did and he was out of there like a bat of out hell. I didn't think anything of that as thats normal courier behavior. By the time I realized what had just happened he was gone. I can't say I suspect the driver but it was a bit odd he didn't hand me the parcel. I've never had a driver place a parcel down on the ground before but then again perhaps I've never had a box that big delivered to my door. On a positive note, although I've yet to receive any solution from Apple they told me I will be looked after.

To clear up a couple of questions. Yes it was a brown cardboard box (the laptop *and* the Mac box were missing) and no it wasn't Vancouver it was Sydney.

Who opens their parcel before signing? I do, from now on!

24. Macloven macrumors regular

Macloven

this happened to a friend with an IPOD shipped straight from Apple in China. The box was perfectly taped with no IPOD. UPS and Apple dealt with it and the device was replaced. Supposedly they were able to track down when it happened but wouldn't give details. The shipping company should have record of the actual weight, etc and be able to track down when it disappeared.

Good luck with the problem....I have no doubt it will work out and you'll get a new system

Mark

25. rcky macrumors newbie

crazy story, never heard of anything like this...

mine was delivered by TNT as well (HK), and no problem at all

good luck, hope it gets solved asap