Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Shanewilliams

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2010
For those that's used opera already on the iPhone, is it any faster then safari when on 3g? Seems that opera was trying to push the fact that it was quicker on edge but I don't recall any mention being made about 3g. Thanks!

friedmud

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2008
Opera said that the pages are rendered server side and then interactive pictures are streamed to the device

I wonder what "interactive pictures" actually means... They cant just be sending jpgs with hotzones defined... Or else you wouldn't be able to select text...

tadad1

macrumors 6502a
Oct 20, 2008
Little disappointed, runs like crap down here in New Zealand. Perpetual spiral as pages never completely load, MacRumors won't load at all sits for about a minute doing nothing and then gives a server timeout error but loads in around 12 seconds with Safari.

Fran-tastic

macrumors member
Apr 3, 2010
I got some trouble posting with Opera, hopefully this time will work.

These are the feature it has:

Pro:
- Hellish fast;
- Tabs;
- Doesn't reload pages when go back and forward.

Cons:
- Only two levels of zoom;
- Doesn't render the text when zoomed out;
- No momentum scrolling;
- Sometimes it doesn't stay in the position I scrolled;
- It erased my post two times by loading the page after I press done to get out the text box(it possibly have been my fault).

Gestures:
- Does the tap the bar to scroll on top of the page;
- Double tap or pinch to zoom in/out.

Overall is a good mobile browser.

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)
Wirelessly posted (Opera/9.80 (J2ME/MIDP; Opera Mini/5.0.0176/1150; U; en) Presto/2.4.15)

Very nice. Very fast! :)

Good news all round!

Balty

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Mobile Safari vs Opera Mini

Fully Zoomed Out
attachment.php
attachment.php

Double tapped on article and zoomed in

attachment.php
attachment.php

Friscohoya

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2009
Oaktown
Dont know why apple cares. Just keep buying the phone and giving them their cut. Most will probably still use safari because its just easier and more familiar.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
Little disappointed, runs like crap down here in New Zealand. Perpetual spiral as pages never completely load, MacRumors won't load at all sits for about a minute doing nothing and then gives a server timeout error but loads in around 12 seconds with Safari.

Interesting; it's working for me on TelstraClear (over Wi-Fi). Are you using Wi-Fi or the cell network? Which operator?

kas23

macrumors 603
Oct 28, 2007

troop231

macrumors 603
Jan 20, 2010
Is their any way of Opera to render flash stuff on their end, then forward it to the iPhone in a different container ?

milkmankilla

macrumors newbie
Oct 31, 2009
Its probably not available here yet because of the iPad. Maybe it will take extra time to make it work on the iPad. Because the iPad is only sold in the us now if I'm not mistaken.

ciaran00

macrumors 6502
Mar 11, 2010
I haven't seen it be mentioned AND I'M REALLY SURPRISED IT DOESN'T BOTHER YOU GUYS:

Links from other apps open in Opera by default if you want?

Of course not, right?

F***ing Apple. Give us File System and MIME Type support for this OS already.

Edit: Same dilemma on BB i guess, too:
http://www.blackberryforums.com/aftermarket-software/119249-opera-mini-default-browser.html
Android: http://my.opera.com/chooseopera/blog/2010/03/12/opera-mini-5-on-android-why
Apparently a hack on WinMo6: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?p=1714441

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.