Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hyuga

macrumors regular
May 16, 2006
Helsinki or Barcelona
Hey people, do you have bing as optional search engine or has it been carried over from my desktop opera to iPhone mini through Opera Link?

I had to set it manually to my desktop opera client while ago.

Knowlege Bomb

macrumors G4
Feb 14, 2008
US
Dear God, please let the day come when "fail" is merely an answer to a trivia question in the forgotten fads category.

To be honest, I'd rather have "LOL" fall to the wayside. "Fail" can actually be kind of funny sometimes.

Still not available in the US store. I'm anxious to give it a try although I'm not sure I like the Verizon-esque UI.

Darkroom

Dec 15, 2006
Montréal, Canada
Hardly. most people don't know about Opera and will just go with the preinstalled option.

edit: unless you meant just for you, then sorry.

yes, i meant for me.

i wonder if Adobe could send their 10.1 mobile plugin over to Opera to have it built in to the mini browser. that would be amazing.

Justinf79

macrumors 6502
May 28, 2009
Oregon
Nice! Getting it now.

Hopefully an iPad version will come soon. :)

Edit: Nevermind, it appears to be an universal app.

redking31591

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2008
No wonder they allowed it - the UI is POOR.

Sure it's fast, but after using it for my usual browsing sites, it's pretty hard to select the text or images. Their tap and hold method for a 'pop-up' menu is, to put it kindly, extremely inconvenient and unstable. With no magnification-lens for selecting text, it's damn near impossible to highlight what I want.

I do like their search function within the page though. Good start with speed - more improvement needed.

you'd think that with apple, a poor UI would stop them from allowing it :rolleyes:

gwynne

macrumors 68000
Mar 11, 2010
It's only available in the UK I think which means, it might be released stateside around 11 pm if we are lucky. I wish it was an iPad version but I will download anyway.

Wow, UK gets apps before US? I feel less bad for getting the iPad first now. ;)

(No, I'm not complaining, just find it interesting.)

Rocketman

macrumors 603
This is great news. Set aside Opera and whatever its functionality is, the very fact Apple allows it to shine is telling.

Opera has a meme that not only competes with Safari on some level, but offers a client-server model of page generation and sending as an image.

This is a thing.

There are plenty of other applications that would benefit from this, but one wonders if Opera as a platform hopes to capture most of it by virtue of being "first to market" with a simple mechanism that is approved and deployed.

The other browser.

BTW Steve said at the iPOS 4.0 release event why this is okay. People spend time in apps which will trigger iAds. They do not spend their time in search.

Rocketman

thelatinist

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2009
Connecticut, USA
Why wouldn't Apple approve it? There are lots of alternative browsers in the App Store. As long as Opera was willing to use Webkit instead of its own Presto rendering engine, there's no reason it shouldn't be approved.

friedmud

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2008
All the other browsers are just different SKINS pretty much. It's the same engine though.

We don't really now that opera mini is a different engine. I suspect it still uses webkit... They just feed it a compressed version of the webpage.

Anyone have some hard data on this?

justinfreid

macrumors 6502a
Nov 24, 2009
NEW Jersey / USA
woah!

This is good news, choice of browsers on the iPhone is a welcome change; maybe Chrome and Firefox will come next.
If Apple starts to accept or reject apps based purely on technical reasons and not whether or not they challenge Apple's own software, I'd feel much more comfortable with walled garden that is the iPhone.

redking31591

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2008
We don't really now that opera mini is a different engine. I suspect it still uses webkit... They just feed it a compressed version of the webpage.

Anyone have some hard data on this?

Opera said that the pages are rendered server side and then interactive pictures are streamed to the device

mcdj

macrumors G3
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
so to those outside of the US who have installed it on the iPad, is it iPad sized, or just a blowup of an iPhone version.?

troop231

macrumors 603
Jan 20, 2010
It would have made more sense to release it globally through the app store at once, so it indeed is fail

Hands Sandon

macrumors 6502
Aug 3, 2008
It loads very, very quickly, but that's where the good ends unfortunately. It's very jerky, scrolling is horrible, most pages are formatted into where ads are sometimes huge and the text is in narrow columns, links often won't open at all (including here on MacRumors) and you can't zoom in far enough to make links big enough to click on without hitting say page 4 instead of page 5.

I'm sure it'll improve. It can't not! Thankfully it was free.

I just tried it on O2's non 3G network and it's very fast. It's a lot faster than using 3G in Safari or wifi. I loaded a few pages including the homepage of the Guardian and it only took a few seconds before I could zoom in and read the page. It has it's faults, but I can see me using this whenever I'm not in 3G.

kenypowa

macrumors 6502a
Oct 16, 2008
somewhere
I have never used it before. Is it better then safari?

Well, if you have a slow network, Opera Mini is a fantastic choice. I also think the tab management is better than Safari's. But then again I am using Opera Mini on Andoird, so I'm not sure if there is any difference between the two versions.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.