Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ironduke

Suspended
Nov 12, 2006
England
If Apple decline this App they are facists, and Legal action should be taken against them in europe for monopolizing, that will open the ****** up

Yeah baby Getsome!

fat phil

macrumors 6502
Jul 11, 2008
Lack of security - There is no end to end encryption. All secure sites are routed to Opera's proxy server, unencrypted, and re-encrpyted to be sent to your phone. Any account numbers, credit cards, SSNs, etc that you send to a secure site will be viewable by Opera.
Link

This alone could be all the smoke Apple needs to reject it.

fat phil

macrumors 6502
Jul 11, 2008
If Apple decline this App they are facists, and Legal action should be taken against them in europe for monopolizing, that will open the ****** up

Yeah baby Getsome!

That's the stuff - work yourself into a good frenzy. High blood pressure is a bad thing, you know. You should save it for something really worthwhile :)

kirky29

macrumors 68000
Jun 17, 2009
Lincolnshire, England
It does look nice from the pics, and I am a "small" fan of Opera on the Desktop.. but.. I don't think the Icon would look right in my iPhone Dock! So I probably wont use it :) -- Plus, links open in Safari etc, so.. Unless you could set a 'Default Browser' then I don't see much point :)!

Like I said, looks good though!

SBlue1

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2008
That's like the people who think that all of our phones calls are being listened to every day. Like the NSA has 200 million employees sitting on phone tapping devices all day long. lol

Its not people listening to the tapes, its computers processing the calls. Way back in the 70ies there were computers which could turn on a tape recorder once you said a predefined word like "bomb". You should google for Echolon.

I cant even imagine what is possible nowadays. :)

WeegieMac

Jan 29, 2008
Glasgow, UK
That looks impressive, but sadly the fact it's faster than Safari and is as impressive as it is means Apple will likely reject the app. :mad:

On saying that, I never thought Apple would approve Qik video and iVideo Camera for the iPhone 3G, which not only allows full screen recording at 15fps (which has amazingly good results in bright daylight conditions), but they allowed it to use the iPhone 3GS "Trim" interface when you export movies to Camera Roll from the app.

So you never know.

cleric

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2008
ATT would like this!

Though I think most people will be disappointed by javascript/ajax performance.

SachaS

macrumors regular
Nov 11, 2009
Well it's quite simple really. If they reject it it's only a matter of time before Apple are taken to a European court. They will more than likely allow it because it will not do Apple's image any good.

cumanzor

macrumors 6502
May 14, 2009
They're using EDGE to better show of their compression. If they used 3G or WiFi, it would be harder to time.

It does have a core. I'm pretty sure you can turn off page compression (Opera Turbo) too, just like the desktop version.

Opera Turbo has been working great for me (on the desktop version) when I'm on a slow connection. My university's library wireless is overcrowded, and Chrome, FF, and Safari sputter when I try to open the simplest of pages, like Google. Opera displays it without a hitch.

http://www.opera.com/browser/turbo/

If you read here:

Opera Mini is different. It doesn't have it's own JS or HTML interpreter, it uses a proprietary XML extension (I think), so they web pages are rendered on their servers, and sent to the client. JS support is minimal, or so I've experienced.

You cannot disable that feature in Opera Mini, you can on Opera Mobile, though. (which is another Symbian, WinMo, who knows what else, browser).

Btw, since Opera Mini used is mainly a Java App it required a JVM on windows mobile. Not anymore! You can have a WinMo native version of Opera Mini!!! :D

FXT 1

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2009
UK
Cost?!?

I don't think anyone has spoken about the potential cost of this app if it does come out. Since Opera are using server-side compression, i doubt they'll be willing to make this app free.

TuffLuffJimmy

macrumors G3
Apr 6, 2007
Portland, OR
I wonder how Apple will handle this one.

They'll probably just reject it, the same way the killed GoogleVoice. Which is really too bad, because I love GoogleVoice and Opera.

xUKHCx

Administrator emeritus
Jan 15, 2006
The Kop
I don't think anyone has spoken about the potential cost of this app if it does come out. Since Opera are using server-side compression, i doubt they'll be willing to make this app free.

Can't say for certain but Opera Mini is free on all other platforms and the server side compression is also a user selecatble feature on the desktop browser which is also free.

This would suggest that it will be free for the iPhone.

coleridge78

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2007

Yes, one cherry-picked set of releases, measuring essentially only one thing (performance of JS DOM manipulation), in only one environment, leaving out one of the major browsers (which is often the "fastest" at various tasks), And, to top it all off, run by one vendor who has spent years mostly failing at pimping their proprietary browser because it is historically slow and unstable, and because they rely on sweetheart deals with the scummiest of the scum (telphony corps) instead of quality and working with the community.

Excuse me while I roll my eyes.

xUKHCx

Administrator emeritus
Jan 15, 2006
The Kop
No, I mean the one which in real world usage makes my 8 Mbit ADSL look like a 512k.

Oh right :rolleyes: Of course a problem with your settings/configuration, which after all if it was as bad as you say it would be all over the major press sites, means there is a problem with everyones.

diabolic

macrumors 68000
Jun 13, 2007
Austin, Texas
Apple lost 10,2% market share in 2009. They lost 4.5 in Q4/2009 and another 3.6% in Febuary 2010. This will just continue as long as Apple blocks useful apps.[/url]

I'd expect that trend to reverse a bit when the new iPhone comes out in a few months. Remember though, Google is trying to get Android on as many different phone models as they can. Apple isn't. I don't know if putting the iPhone market share up against all the models running Android will ultimately be a good comparison.

from the article you linked:
While Apple’s market share continues to decline (remember they’re still gaining the most in absolute mobile web consumption), the competition have a long way to go before there’s a real fight on their hands,” the analysts said Thursday.

kdarling

macrumors P6
If I were ATT, I'd be pushing for acceptance, simply because of the potential bandwidth savings.

The "real internet", at least as far as downloading large image files to handhelds, is often a waste of airwave resources that could otherwise be used to accomodate more users and speed.

IntelliUser

macrumors 6502
Nov 1, 2009
Why does it matter?
Oh right :rolleyes: Of course a problem with your settings/configuration, which after all if it was as bad as you say it would be all over the major press sites, means there is a problem with everyones.

Ah, so tell me, how do I configure my Mac (or my PC for that matter), so that I can witness Opera's "speed", seeing that it runs every other major web browser perfectly fine?

necrecious

macrumors newbie
Mar 23, 2010
I am sure it will be approved

Opera Mini is similar in approach to the iPhone application my company created, Cloud Browse.

Unlike Opera Mini, Cloud Browse will also have Flash and Java capabilities. So if Cloud Browse has been approved, there is no reason why Opera Mini will be rejected. I suspect it is just a marketing ploy to generate more interest in Opera Mini.

Macman1993

macrumors 6502
Nov 23, 2007
Wow, thats all I have to say if it gets approved I will be jumping to Opera so quickly. I really want to see Opera on edge vs. Safari on 3G just to see how Opera can compare even when running on a slower network.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.