Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AppleCraig

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 27, 2019
Morning!
So just a quick bit of background information - I currently have a 2011 13 inch Macbook Pro, which I like but has seen better days. It's been upgraded frequently but really is on it's way out.

My main use for this MacBook is syncing my iPhone storing my files on it - I'm not keen on cloud storage or the price of it so much prefer to have a central place to store everything. I don't really use it for work, but do do design work on it from time to time outside of my work. I find these days I'm using my Macbook Pro less and less over the years, using my PC computer for gaming, my iPhone for casual browsing and apps, and really only using it for syncing

Now onto the options of where I go from here. I'm not sure which of these is best

Option 1 - Buy a new MacBook Pro 13 inch
2.3GHz Dual-Core Processor, 256GB Storage

+ Portable and familiar
+ Able to sync my iPhone and store my files as I have been

– Much smaller storage - Currently have 512GB on my MacBook pro
– Don't like the new USB-C connections
– Hardly use it for anything else but to store and sync

Option 2 - Buy a new Mac (desktop) and and iPad/iPad Pro

+ Able to still sync and store from the Mac
+ iPad/Pro much more portable and 'casual'

– More expensive overall than option 2
– Is the Mac a waste of time if it's just for syncing and sits doing nothing?

Option 3 - ???
I'm open to other solutions if there are any?

I guess from the list above I have an incline of what I should do, but I'd like to get some options from other Apple people to see what others may have done in my scenarion

Thanks in advance

Howard2k

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2016
Skip the Mac and sync to iCloud directly? Perhaps with a 2019 iPad or an IPad Pro. Calculate the $/month of iCloud va the amortized price of the MacBook / Mac over the expected life and see which seems more reasonable.

That’s an option, not a suggestion. I would certainly consider it, though it wouldn’t work for me.

AppleCraig

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 27, 2019
Thanks @Howard2k - I had considered this, but I should have mentioned that the Wifi in my place is appalling (roughly 10 minutes to download a single MP3!). It's a good suggestion though - I'll keep thinking about it

Stephen.R

Suspended
Nov 2, 2018
Thailand
You know an iPhone can sync with a Windows PC, right?

Otherwise, if you want a Mac, I'd suggest either a MacBook or MacBook Air. Doesn't sound like you need the extra grunt of the Pro.

Reactions: EedyBeedyBeeps

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Get an iPad pro and see if you can live with that and keep your current MBP

alex87f

macrumors newbie
Jun 24, 2015
Brussels, Belgium
Morning!
So just a quick bit of background information - I currently have a 2011 13 inch Macbook Pro, which I like but has seen better days. It's been upgraded frequently but really is on it's way out.

My main use for this MacBook is syncing my iPhone storing my files on it - I'm not keen on cloud storage or the price of it so much prefer to have a central place to store everything. I don't really use it for work, but do do design work on it from time to time outside of my work. I find these days I'm using my Macbook Pro less and less over the years, using my PC computer for gaming, my iPhone for casual browsing and apps, and really only using it for syncing

Now onto the options of where I go from here. I'm not sure which of these is best

Option 1 - Buy a new MacBook Pro 13 inch
2.3GHz Dual-Core Processor, 256GB Storage

+ Portable and familiar
+ Able to sync my iPhone and store my files as I have been

– Much smaller storage - Currently have 512GB on my MacBook pro
– Don't like the new USB-C connections
– Hardly use it for anything else but to store and sync

Option 2 - Buy a new Mac (desktop) and and iPad/iPad Pro

+ Able to still sync and store from the Mac
+ iPad/Pro much more portable and 'casual'

– More expensive overall than option 2
– Is the Mac a waste of time if it's just for syncing and sits doing nothing?

Option 3 - ???
I'm open to other solutions if there are any?

I guess from the list above I have an incline of what I should do, but I'd like to get some options from other Apple people to see what others may have done in my scenarion

Thanks in advance

Well based on what you are saying you just need the mac for storage - I'm surprised your current MBP can't handle that. Maybe look into giving it an SSD and a clean install? Otherwise I'd get the most recent, cheapest used mac mini I can find. Or even a cheap windows laptop. Or a lightly used retina macbook pro for 6-700USD.

What's sure is that spending 1500USD on a brand new macbook pro would sound like a waste of money for your use scenario.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
OP:
You didn't tell us what is wrong with the MPB to make it "on its way out".
(yes, I realize it's getting long in the tooth)

Have you upgraded the internal drive to an SSD?
That will breathe new life into it.
(although it won't make the CPU/GPU faster)

My suggestion:
Buy a new Mac desktop (as you mentioned above)
and
If the MBP doesn't have an SSD inside, put one inside and use that for your "portable needs".

If you choose to get an iMac, MAKE SURE you buy one WITH AN SSD INSIDE.
DO NOT buy an iMac with a fusion drive -- they are "the past".
Be aware that you have to special-order iMacs with SSDs through Apple's "build-to-order" page online.
Alternate choice: buy an Apple-refurbished iMac with an SSD inside.
Don't pay Apple's high price for the 1tb SSD -- get the 512gb size instead (much more reasonable).
Supplement it with USB3 storage, if needed.

Reactions: EedyBeedyBeeps
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.