iPhone 11 Pro Optimize charging : I’m giving up.

dunni

macrumors member
Mar 8, 2008
This was driving me nuts until I found the solution. Apple has a support article about it:

and at the very bottom is the key. Make sure these three things are enabled:

• Settings > Privacy > Location Services > Location Services.
  • Settings > Privacy > Location Services > System Services > System Customization.
  • Settings > Privacy > Location Services > System Services > Significant Locations > Significant Locations.
For some reason my Significant Locations setting was disabled. Once I turned it back on optimized battery charging starting working (for the first time ever) about 4 days later.

MandiMac

macrumors 6502a
Feb 25, 2012
This is actually something I noticed and thought as well. Maybe it just kicks in when the iPhone needs to be charged more than 50 % or so!
To add to this: when I'm charging above 60 % or so it just fills the battery. Maybe the iPhone recognises this as "topping off" and not as an overnight charge. Very intelligent - really a set it and forget it setting.

Knowlege Bomb

macrumors 604
Feb 14, 2008
Madison, WI
This was driving me nuts until I found the solution. Apple has a support article about it:

• Settings > Privacy > Location Services > System Services > System Customization.
  • Settings > Privacy > Location Services > System Services > Significant Locations > Significant Locations.
For some reason my Significant Locations setting was disabled. Once I turned it back on optimized battery charging starting working (for the first time ever) about 4 days later.
Interesting. My "System Customization" setting was off. Not sure if that's by default or if I did it because it's so vague but I'm willing to give it a shot.

Dino F

macrumors 68030
Sep 16, 2010
Croydon, South London, UK
I noticed this feature for the first time on my wife's iPhone 7 the other night whilst it was being charged.

I looked on the screen (she asked me to check something on it before anybody asks why I was looking on her phone!!!!) and it displayed a message along the lines of "iPhone will continue charging and will be finished by 04:00" (it was around 21:00 when I checked it). When I swiped the message, it gave me an option to "Charge Now" even though the lightning bolt was already present within the battery icon??! #confused

Reactions: BigMcGuire

darkcompass

macrumors regular
Aug 22, 2018
Optimised charging is broken on my iPhone7 - it always charges to 100%.
Doesnt having a iphone battery case wipe this "hard work" out as well? It keeps the internal battery topped at 100% or is it "smart", so it drains the case first?

imagineadam

macrumors 65816
Jan 19, 2011
Optimised charging is broken on my iPhone7 - it always charges to 100%.
Doesnt having a iphone battery case wipe this "hard work" out as well? It keeps the internal battery topped at 100% or is it "smart", so it drains the case first?
This is a question many of us with smart battery cases have now. My phone spends most of the day at 100% with my smart battery case on... is this bad?

With apples admission that keeping the phone battery at 80% is better overnight for the battery than what is happening with the smart battery case keeping it at 100% for most of the day?!

Im also wondering if the optimized charging will work with my smart battery case on. It’s only been a couple days since I figured out which exact settings I needed to have on for it to maybe work so I guess we’ll see!

Reactions: compwiz1202

imagineadam

macrumors 65816
Jan 19, 2011

What could really be useful would be an option like a toggle similar to night shift that lets us manually turn on the optimized charging where it will force it to stay at 80% until a scheduled time rather than relying on its wonky unreliable machine learning. And then also we wouldn't have to keep giving them our location continuously. That would be nice.

And that brings me to another question about the system customization and significant services location pinging... I feel like its on very often. Like every time I go in there the arrow is purple... Isn't this draining the battery too? Seems counterintuitive to turn on a battery draining switch to also help keep the battery healthier in the long run? Am I missing something here? Or is the signifiant locations only using cell tower triangulation or something? Or is it actually firing up the gps everytime? Because if it is I feel like thats gotta be taking a hit on the battery.

compwiz1202

macrumors 6502a
May 20, 2010
This is a question many of us with smart battery cases have now. My phone spends most of the day at 100% with my smart battery case on... is this bad?

With apples admission that keeping the phone battery at 80% is better overnight for the battery than what is happening with the smart battery case keeping it at 100% for most of the day?!

Im also wondering if the optimized charging will work with my smart battery case on. It’s only been a couple days since I figured out which exact settings I needed to have on for it to maybe work so I guess we’ll see!
This one feature that would be cool with the Battery Case. Have a toggle that the iPhone will max out at 80%.
- - Post merged: - -

Apple should simply let the pattern of charging be determined by the bedtime schedule.
Agree. Whether you hook up to CarPlay or such and charge a little during the day should be irrelevant. It should just go to 80 and then finish off a little before the morning alarm. Even have a manual toggle to use or not use it regardless of any patterns.

BR4DOKYBrazil

macrumors 6502
Jan 25, 2018

I enabled it and now it is constantly accessing the device's GPS. Have they solved the hell of the Ultra Broadband chip and now it starts with battery optimization? I'll leave it disabled. Keeping the device accessing the GPS all day for battery optimization does not make sense.

iFone88

macrumors 6502
Oct 5, 2018

I did this around a week ago.

Still doesnt work

CoronaOnTap

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2019
I enabled it and now it is constantly accessing the device's GPS. Have they solved the hell of the Ultra Broadband chip and now it starts with battery optimization? I'll leave it disabled. Keeping the device accessing the GPS all day for battery optimization does not make sense.
Location arrow doesn’t always mean the device is accessing the GPS. It could be a geo-fence and still show the same arrow.

Reactions: BR4DOKYBrazil

imagineadam

macrumors 65816
Jan 19, 2011
Location arrow doesn’t always mean the device is accessing the GPS. It could be a geo-fence and still show the same arrow.
I’ve also enabled significant locations and system customization now for over a week and I’ve noticed no difference in battery at all even though it’s constantly checking where I am and where I’m going. The optimized charging still hasn’t kicked in yet. I’ll give it another week and if it doesn’t work I’ll shut it off. I’m using a smart battery case with my 7 so maybe that has something to do with it even though I would think it shouldn’t matter.

Reactions: BR4DOKYBrazil

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
You need a pretty strict CHARGING schedule for it to work. Home and work need to be known marked locations. And I could be wrong about this but if you charge the device in other places it may have an effect on it.

Errors are on the side of caution though. It important for convenience and even safety that when the phone is unplugged its at 100%. The amount of battery health it saves isn't work getting stranded somewhere without a phone or something worse. Plus that would just be incredibly annoying.

sbailey4

macrumors 68040
Dec 5, 2011
USA
Apple should simply let the pattern of charging be determined by the bedtime schedule.
Exactly! Maybe even make it like DND with YOUR schedule that can be set. And whats this BS about it has to be at home or work? Maybe if I were on vacation for a week in hotel I would also want optimized battery to function as well. The whole significant location thing is nuts. SMH

imagineadam

macrumors 65816
Jan 19, 2011
Exactly! Maybe even make it like DND with YOUR schedule that can be set. And whats this BS about it has to be at home or work? Maybe if I were on vacation for a week in hotel I would also want optimized battery to function as well. The whole significant location thing is nuts. SMH
Works fine on my sons phone which doesn’t have a home or a work address preset so I’m assuming it would learn if you are somewhere for a heh heh significant amount of time too like on a vacation.
Still trying to get mine working. I do think it’s not working because I have a smart battery case on. It’s not being so smart.

BR4DOKYBrazil

macrumors 6502
Jan 25, 2018
When I activate both options that Apple tells us to activate, the location arrow appears frequently. Does it really access GPS or just cell towers to determine my location? My fear is to drain my battery for the sake of optimization.

BODYBUILDERPAUL

macrumors 68000
Feb 9, 2009
Barcelona
Sorry but you are wrong.
In the long run a battery kept at 100% for hours will age faster.
It is not a matter of “putting more power” in it.
It is a chemical issue: better not to leave a battery fully charged (nor to deep discharge it every day, which is even worse).

The idea behind “optimized charging” is very good. The implementation is very poor.
- - Post merged: - -

I left a feedback at Apple website about that...
I'm not convinced with your ideas here.
Apple user for 25 years here :) I always charge my products to 100% and just don't leave them charging through the night. The original MacBook battery lasted me 6 years before it died. No problems there. My Fiance's iPhone SE is August 2016 - she charges it to 100% and then unplugs it within an hour or so. Battery health is 97% after 3.5 years.

IMO it's the brand of the battery that makes the difference and possibly even the batch.

Another example, I bought a SLODA battery for my MacBook did everything that the user manual recommended - never let it drop below 10% and usually charged up to 80% and guess what? It failed after 14 months and completed died after 20 months with ZERO after sales services from SLODA & Amazon. In fact, the sales rep at SLODA said "Sorry, it's the best that we can do but anyway, have a nice day".
SERIOUSLY! Hardly great for the environment!!!

My experience is that Apple seems to select the ultimate for its components. Just don't leave it charging all through the night. No excuse to do that anyway when you have fast charging with the 11 Pro. Just charge it whilst you're showering or having dinner or getting ready for a run or gym.

Dino F

macrumors 68030
Sep 16, 2010
Croydon, South London, UK

That article can't be 100% accurate as I have ALL of those options ENABLED and I have NEVER seen the Optimized Charging (which is ALSO enabled) notification on my iPhone XS (not even once) in the almost 2 years of owning my phone (AND my 'Significant Locations' are already set to 'Home' and 'Work').

The feature just doesn't work for some people......

compwiz1202

macrumors 6502a
May 20, 2010
You need a pretty strict CHARGING schedule for it to work. Home and work need to be known marked locations. And I could be wrong about this but if you charge the device in other places it may have an effect on it.

Errors are on the side of caution though. It important for convenience and even safety that when the phone is unplugged its at 100%. The amount of battery health it saves isn't work getting stranded somewhere without a phone or something worse. Plus that would just be incredibly annoying.
I'm convinced it's the other places, because I have everything set as specified for locations and location settings, but it had never worked, and I have it on the cord when using CarPlay. All that should matter is if your alarm is consistent at least for the work week.

CoronaOnTap

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2019
I'm not convinced with your ideas here.
Apple user for 25 years here :) I always charge my products to 100% and just don't leave them charging through the night. The original MacBook battery lasted me 6 years before it died. No problems there. My Fiance's iPhone SE is August 2016 - she charges it to 100% and then unplugs it within an hour or so. Battery health is 97% after 3.5 years.

IMO it's the brand of the battery that makes the difference and possibly even the batch.

Another example, I bought a SLODA battery for my MacBook did everything that the user manual recommended - never let it drop below 10% and usually charged up to 80% and guess what? It failed after 14 months and completed died after 20 months with ZERO after sales services from SLODA & Amazon. In fact, the sales rep at SLODA said "Sorry, it's the best that we can do but anyway, have a nice day".
SERIOUSLY! Hardly great for the environment!!!

My experience is that Apple seems to select the ultimate for its components. Just don't leave it charging all through the night. No excuse to do that anyway when you have fast charging with the 11 Pro. Just charge it whilst you're showering or having dinner or getting ready for a run or gym.
Choosing the best of components can’t overcome the limitations of the Li-ion tech completely. Cheap batteries deteriorate quickly and there’s no arguing that.
It’s an established fact that leaving a Li-ion battery in either a high/low charge state is bad in the long term. The effects won’t be noticeable as much with current advancements in technology but more pronounced in colder temperatures.