Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

zefonseca

macrumors newbie
Jan 17, 2008
hi, i'm new to this, I have tried to use to install Yosemite macpostfactor 1.0.1 on my Macbook 1.1, everything is done correctly but at the end wheni press the reboot does nothing, when I reboot manually load lion has returned , I installed over lion , and a clean partition , but nothing work, help someone.
also thing with mavericks , but sometimes indicates Error 03
PS: sorry for my English

Hi,

Are you sure the macbook you have is 1,1? If so, you're out of luck. This mac has a 32bit Core Duo and can't run ML, Mavericks or Yosemite as these OSes needs a 64bit processor...

Last edited:

topmav

macrumors newbie
Jul 22, 2015
in macpostfactor specifications indicates that if supported.
I think it's this
MacBook Air (13 pulgadas, early 2008) MacBookAir 1,1 MB003xx/A MBAIR 13.3/1.6/2/80HDD/core 2 duo, because I have 80gb HDD and think it was the only models released

Last edited:

Wolwerine

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2015
France
in macpostfactor specifications indicates that if supported.
I think it's this
MacBook Air (13 pulgadas, early 2008) MacBookAir 1,1 MB003xx/A MBAIR 13.3/1.6/2/80HDD
, because I have 80gb HDD and think it was the only models released
for MacBook 13" Early 2008,, i had a 4.1 white Early 2008 Intel DéCore 2,4GHz 4 G RAM 667MHz X3100 144Mb
and i've installed Yosemite and Mavericks,,not with MacPostf,,but with Script Sfott Beta,,,follow instructions,,patch the platform.plist file with your Mac ID and Model,on system/library/core services ( on your foot Usb drive ); than patch the file on Instalation " edit " machines ,,, ",,,i don't remember the rest,,but you have to open and put your ID there too,,change the spike Boot/file for the original one,, is done,,,

Wolwerine

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2015
France
i think you must do upgrade of your Ram,,don't really think you'll get boot with only 2 Gb,,your CPU is 64B i think,,so,,probably your error is due to that,,,i installed Yosemite 10.10.4 1ND Mavericks 10.9.4,, but i had Ram 4G 667MHz,, you got only 2G,,

CNiles38006

macrumors member
Jul 14, 2015
Okay guys, hooray. Thanks for the tips I was able to get Yosemite showing on my external display and correctly showing my ATI X1600 as having 128MB. I got Yosemite up on my Imac 5,1, after almost giving up, but it is working fine now.

Imac 5.1
Core 2 Duo 2.33 GHZ
ATI Radeon X1600
4 GB of Ram (only 3 GB addressable)
256 GB SSD Drive
Yosemite 10.10

I have a couple of questions for you guys

1) Is Graphics Acceleration (Core CL, Core GL) completely out of the equation for the ancient ATI Radeon X1600 on the even more ancient Mac system I have. I have applied the "Disable Graphical Animations) shell script and trackpad and system response is much quicker. However when it comes to video playback, for example VLC doesn't even work (no video) because of the lack of Open GL. Are there any other tips for better video quality playback that is out here. Currently to watch my HD Videos play smoothly I have to boot into Mountain Lion on another Hard Drive and watch it on there.

2) I currently have Yosemite 10.10 installed via the SFOTT USB install. I have Yosemite installed on multiple hard drives, one that is my main hard drive OS and the other to test out before making any changes to Yosemite on my primary Hard Drive.

How do I update Yosemite to 10.10.4. I tried on my secondary hard drive to download it from the app store and once installed that secondary drive would no longer boot Yosemite because I suppose the boot.efi is changed. So how can I update 10.10 to 10.10.4 Yosemite and be able to still boot up properly. Thanks for any guidance on doing so correctly.

Last edited:

cyberish

macrumors member
Oct 26, 2013
Okay guys, hooray. Thanks for the tips I was able to get Yosemite showing on my external display and correctly showing my ATI X1600 as having 128MB. I got Yosemite up on my Imac 5,1, after almost giving up, but it is working fine now.

Imac 5.1
Core 2 Duo 2.33 GHZ
ATI Radeon X1600
256 GB SSD Drive
Yosemite 10.10

1) Is Graphics Acceleration (Core CL, Core GL) completely out of the equation for the ancient ATI Radeon X1600 on the even more ancient Mac system I have. I have applied the "Disable Graphical Animations) shell script and trackpad and system response is much quicker. However when it comes to video playback, for example VLC doesn't even work (no video) because of the lack of Open GL. Are there any other tips for better video quality playback that is out here. Currently to watch my HD Videos play smoothly I have to boot into Mountain Lion on another Hard Drive and watch it on there.

2) I currently have Yosemite 10.10 installed via the SFOTT USB install. I have Yosemite installed on multiple hard drives, one that is my main hard drive OS and the other to test out before making any changes to Yosemite on my primary Hard Drive.

How do I update Yosemite to 10.10.4. I tried on my secondary hard drive to download it from the app store and once installed that secondary drive would no longer boot Yosemite because I suppose the boot.efi is changed. So how can I update 10.10 to 10.10.4 Yosemite and be able to still boot up properly. Thanks for any guidance on doing so correctly.

That's GREAT! How comes that on your iMac you can address 3GB of RAM and not only 2GB as stated here :
https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...rted-macs-guide.1761432/page-34#post-21606203

Wolwerine

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2015
France

Imac 5.1
Core 2 Duo 2.33 GHZ
ATI Radeon X1600
256 GB SSD Drive
Yosemite 10.10

Just get the update install it, then, boot in Lion, open finder go to your Yosemite partition/disc open system/Library/coreservices and delete Platform.plist,,then reboot and boot Yosemite 10.10.4,, if you follow Sfott Script installation, usually we must do this,,good luck,,

CNiles38006

macrumors member
Jul 14, 2015
That's GREAT! How comes that on your iMac you can address 3GB of RAM and not only 2GB as stated here :
https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...rted-macs-guide.1761432/page-34#post-21606203

Originally this was a Core Duo, 2GB memory max, iMac 4,1 with Snow Leopard as the last OS it could support officiallly.

I updated the processor to Core 2 Duo, upgraded the firmware from 4,1 to 5,1 and thus it became a Lion machine and could handle more memory. I removed the matching pair of 1 GB memory sticks and replaced them with a pair of 2 Gb memory sticks for 4 GB, but the iMac 5,1, Core 2 Duo itself can only address 3GB of ram. The key was the firmware upgrade to 5,1 from a 4,1 iMac that could detect and use the extra gig of memory.

CNiles38006

macrumors member
Jul 14, 2015
Just get the update install it, then, boot in Lion, open finder go to your Yosemite partition/disc open system/Library/coreservices and delete Platform.plist,,then reboot and boot Yosemite 10.10.4,, if you follow Sfott Script installation, usually we must do this,,good luck,,

That doesn't work for me when I try it removing the platform.plist. It instead loads up another hard drive OS that I have installed. Puzzling me as to how to upgrade to 10.10.4 from 10.10 and be able to boot into the installation. Maybe I'm overlooking something.

gpatpandp

macrumors 6502
Aug 16, 2010
That doesn't work for me when I try it removing the platform.plist. It instead loads up another hard drive OS that I have installed. Puzzling me as to how to upgrade to 10.10.4 from 10.10 and be able to boot into the installation. Maybe I'm overlooking something.

Assuming folks would simply download the latest OS X 10.10 version (10.10.4), I neglected to mention/include within the instructions provided on the following page of this same thread that while I was able to install every version ( i.e. 10.10.1, 10.10.2, 10.10.3 etc.) in the manner I described on my 2006 iMac 5,1, I was ONLY able to do so by building and installing the full app version (presently v10.10.4). Despite replacing any/all of the exact same appropriate files, kexts, .plist, boot.efi etc. and implementing the required commands, updating from a previous version would not work for me.

Last edited:

CNiles38006

macrumors member
Jul 14, 2015

I attempted that but no luck getting it to boot back up with just removing the Platform.plist method. I think it has to do with the boot.efi rather. Would love to know how others updated to Yosemite 10.10.4

CNiles38006

macrumors member
Jul 14, 2015
Assuming folks would simply download the latest OS X 10.10 version (10.10.4), I neglected to mention/include within the instructions provided on the following page of this same thread that while I was able to install every version ( i.e. 10.10.1, 10.10.2, 10.10.3 etc.) in the manner I described on my 2006 iMac 5,1, I was ONLY able to do so by building and installing the full app version (presently v10.10.4). Despite replacing any/all of the exact same appropriate files, kexts, .plist, boot.efi etc. and implementing the required commands, updating from a previous version would not work for me.

Where did you find the full app version, with the installer app and everything for 10.10.4. I have been trying to do that but all I come across are the updates, rather than the full app installer. Any link to the 10.10.4 app installer that can be used to create a USB boot. Thanks.

gpatpandp

macrumors 6502
Aug 16, 2010
Where did you find the full app version, with the installer app and everything for 10.10.4. I have been trying to do that but all I come across are the updates, rather than the full app installer. Any link to the 10.10.4 app installer that can be used to create a USB boot. Thanks.

The "Apps" Store download is ALWAYS the very latest current official (not Beta) OS X release. There are a variety of ways you can download it. As long as you possess a registered Apple ID, simply signing into the App Store and downloading it would be by far the easiest (provided you own a supported Mac upon which to do so that is). I am also aware of a kext that after installing permits one to download an OS on a unsupported Mac as well. It was originally designated for Mavericks however I believe it will also work for Yosemite.

Mavericks download enabler:
MDE.zip

Last edited:

CNiles38006

macrumors member
Jul 14, 2015
The "Apps" Store download is ALWAYS the very latest current official (not Beta) OS X release. There are a variety of ways you can download it. As long as you possess a registered Apple ID, simply signing into the App Store and downloading it would be by far the easiest (provided you own a supported Mac upon which to do so that is). I am also aware of a kext that after installing permits one to download an OS on a unsupported Mac as well. It was originally designated for Mavericks however I believe it will also work for Yosemite.

Mavericks download enabler:
MDE.zip

I finally figured how to update to Yosemite 10.10.4 and be able to boot back up.

1. Downloaded the Yosemite 10.10.4 Combo Update

2. Go into System/Library/CoreServices/boot.efi of the OS and make a copy of currently working boot.efi, place it on desktop, right click on boot.efi, go to sharing and permissions and change the options to read and write, remove the check mark from Locked.

3. Open terminal and type sudo rm -rf /System/Library/CoreServices/boot.efi (this command deletes the locked boot.efi of system)

4. Install Yosemite 10.10.4 Combo Update, do not restart yet

5. Now take the modified boot.efi file on desktop and copy it back into System/Library/CoreServices

6. Restart system and it should boot back up to desktop with Mac 10.10.4 installed.

Last edited:
Reactions: MacNavy

gpatpandp

macrumors 6502
Aug 16, 2010
I'm aware of getting the update that way, what I meant was is there a 10.10.4 Yosemite download that has the "Install OS X Yosemite" app contained within it, like how 10.10 does. For example to my knowledge when you officially download Yosemite 10.10 it puts the installer in the Applications folder which is then automatically deleted when the install is finish.

When you download 10.10.4 it is just an update however, I didn't recall seeing the "Install OS X Yosemite" app in the Applications folder, where you can use it to create a bootable USB installer.

You stated that you update Yosemite "by building and installing the full app version (presently v10.10.4)".

How did you do that specifically. Would be an awesome guide for others attempting to update their Yosemite install on unsupported Macs and unable to boot back in if they just update directly via the App Store.

I believe you are misunderstanding me. Firstly, the "full app version", the one acquired by and downloaded from the app store, all 5 GB + in size is indeed the one that can and should be used to create/build your installer. Secondly, I believe the term "update" is creating further confusion. Essentially, my experiences were that in order to install the latest OS X Yosemite version, I had to create an install build of each incremental version and it install from scratch. For example I first backed up my Yosemite OS X 10.10.3 system, built a OS X 10.10.4 installer and installed v10.10.4 from scratch. Then once installed, I migrated any apps, files and settings from my 10.10.3 back-up after the install was complete.

CNiles38006

macrumors member
Jul 14, 2015
I believe you are misunderstanding me. Firstly, the "full app version", the one acquired by and downloaded from the app store, all 5 GB + in size is indeed the one that can and should be used to create/build your installer. Secondly, I believe the term "update" is creating further confusion. Essentially, my experiences were that in order to install the latest OS X Yosemite version, I had to create an install build of each incremental version and it install from scratch. For example I first backed up my Yosemite OS X 10.10.3 system, built a OS X 10.10.4 installer and installed v10.10.4 from scratch. Then once installed, I migrated any apps, files and settings from my 10.10.3 back-up after the install was complete.

Ah okay, now I see what you mean in that regards. So you create a completely new Yosemite installer from 10.10.4 and then install that, then migrate your prior saved Yosemite version onto it.

I was trying to do that but never got it to work, only when following the SOFTT (Sixty Four On Thirty Two) guide was I able to finally create a bootable usb installer for Yosemite.

Wolwerine

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2015
France
did you try to repatch the Platform.plist?,
I attempted that but no luck getting it to boot back up with just removing the Platform.plist method. I think it has to do with the boot.efi rather. Would love to know how others updated to Yosemite 10.10.4

CNiles38006

macrumors member
Jul 14, 2015
try tp remplace the boot.File for the original one,,you can always put back in,,

Yep that is what I ultimately did. Made a copy of the working one on my desktop, unlocked it, ran terminal command sudo rm -rf /System/Library/CoreServices/boot.efi which deleted the OS locked boot file then installed 10.10.4, put the now unlocked copied boot file back into System/Library/CoreServices and then restarted and when I did it booted back up fine with 10.10.4

DebugFactory

macrumors newbie
Jul 27, 2015
OS X Recovery Patch

Script will be available in OS X Extractor 1.3 Final Build

Another method can be used to make the Recovery Partition available

1. Open up terminal and type in the following:
Code:
defaults write com.apple.DiskUtility DUDebugMenuEnabled 1

2. Launch Disk Utility and use the new "Debug" dropdown menu to select "Show every partition"

3. You will now see the Recovery HD as a partition to your main hard drive, right click (Control click) it and click mount "Recovery HD" the drive will now be visible in Finder

4. Navigate to Recovery HD/com.apple.recovery.boot/

5. Delete the PlatformSupport.plist that is present in the folder

6. You can now reboot to the Recovery HD Partition

If you would like to disable the "Debug" dropdown:

1. Close Disk Utility

2. Type in the following code in terminal:
Code:
defaults write com.apple.DiskUtility DUDebugMenuEnabled 1

Reboot your mac and the Recovery HD will be gone.

Hope I helped anyone who needed it.

NOTE: IF YOU DOWNGRADE YOUR MAC USING A TIME MACHINE BACKUP THE RECOVERY HD WILL BE UNAFFECTED SO YOU WILL KEEP THE RECOVERY HD OF WHATEVER OS YOU DOWNGRADE FROM. (in this case if you happen to be following this guide it will be Yosemite)

topmav

macrumors newbie
Jul 22, 2015
well,, ok is a MacBook Air 13" Early 2008,,post your detailed specifications
go to apple logo, right click " about this mac " make screenshot and post,,

thanks i tried to install with an external disk, because i'm obtaim the same result

Attachments

• captura.png
    captura.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 343

Mpapaver

macrumors newbie
Jul 29, 2015
Hellou, i managed to install yosemite on macbook 3,1, works perfectly, thanks!
I have a problem with java, i cant run minecraft, before on 10.7 worked now dont, so imis this because yosemite? Or i didnt install something right..
Thanks!

gothic_ru

macrumors newbie
Jul 30, 2015
Tried to install Yosemite to my Mac Mini 2.0 (mid 2007) C2D.
I run MacPostFactor 1.0.1 and it shown successful installation sign. Then I did a reboot and it starts with OS X Hackers utilities. I choose clean install. Then it reboots one more time and became bricked.
By bricked I meant after reboot it shows OS X Hackers logo, then few seconds later Apple logo, then it says "Starting MacPosFactor services" and few seconds later show only gray screen with mouse pointer.

Any ideas what to do next?

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.